WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vandalism

Question Vandalism

Reading a lot about vandalism of cars parked at road crossings in the South, makes me worry that generally the South has it in for hikers (hikers' cars at least). What's the feeling about that, and is it that way all the way to Maine?

Some trail head parking lots have a history of break ins, most don't. No doubt it depends on the number of kids of driving age in the area. Reduce the risk by not leaving anything of value in plain sight or better yet, don't leave anything of value and leave the doors unlocked.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

This web-site has info on trailhead parking including information on any reported vandalism problems:

http://appalachiantrail.rohland.org/

This resource is specifically about shuttles but has vandalism alerts about any trailheads with known problems:

http://www.appalachiantrail.org/docs...t.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I have parked, long and short term, at several southern trailheads over the years and never had problems. Making broad generalizations about "the South" is uncalled for.
    Life Member: ATC, ALDHA, Superior Hiking Trail Association

My concern is that the trouble extends to confrontations w/ the hikers themselves, trouble at campsites close to the road, harassment or worst, ... . Any of that going on? South, North?

Vandalism knows no geographical boundaries, happens in the north as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumps Later View Post
    My concern is that the trouble extends to confrontations w/ the hikers themselves, trouble at campsites close to the road, harassment or worst, ... . Any of that going on? South, North?
    At worse you might run into a some locals out to get drunk in the woods on a weekend night. In that case you either move on or join the party. If you don't have the option to move on, the best thing to do is join the party. I've never known them not to be willing to share the beer and whiskey. You might even get a meal out of the deal too.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

If you hear banjo music, hike faster.

Seriously, most of your trail magic occurs in the South. Lots of factors involved in that, but it's true.

Vandalism happens check the aforementioned ATC list. Way to remind me how much nicer everyone was in the south and in New England versus PA/NJ/NY. You sir are a tool.

We get it up in New England on occasion. Usually its not vandalism as much as car break ins. The northern section of the Long Trail has had persistent issues at some trail heads and on occasion the whites will get some habitual offenders working the parking lots. The other source of issues in the whites is usually high school kids near the end of the school year.

Reading a lot about vandalism of cars parked at road crossings in the South, makes me worry that generally the South has it in for hikers (hikers' cars at least). What's the feeling about that, and is it that way all the way to Maine?
    lots of pill and meth heads down here

Images

For what it's worth, campsites near roads anywhere are notorious for social gatherings by locals. Word of wisdom ; a rule of measure , hike about 3 miles beyond a road crossing , including any forest roads and camp away from any shelter . As for the vandalism, store everything you consider valuable in the trunk of your vehicle .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

So many things I want to write here but for the benefit of all I will simply shut up and suggest to the OP if he/she is concerned it would be best to simply avoid the South.

Plenty of trailhead break-ins happen out west as well. The economy truly sucks and it's hard to get work with 93 million Americans out of work, not to mention millions of illegals looking for jobs too. Plus the thieves know that police do little or nothing about petty theft from vehicles. Smash and grab is pretty out of control in most cities, too for all the same reasons. If you call the police they will blame you and say "why did you leave things in the vehicle?"

In parking perhaps 200 days on the trail, the only place I had "vandalism" was in Maine just north of the Bigalows. Some kids sticker bombed the place (e.g., the signs, cars), and I had a big Sunoco sticker attached to the back of my Prius. It came off pretty easily.

I did take care to drive the Saturn (American-made...) south of Virginia, and I did avoid areas with reported vandalism.
    AT 2000 miler: 2011-2014 (via section hikes)
    Camino de Santiago -- April/May 2016 (Camino Frances from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela)
    CDT New Mexico sections next???

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan View Post
    So many things I want to write here but for the benefit of all I will simply shut up and suggest to the OP if he/she is concerned it would be best to simply avoid the South.

Good thing he didn't make an observation regarding the geographical distribution of Homicides on the AT.

There has never be one confirmed north of PA, of course.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Good thing he didn't make an observation regarding the geographical distribution of Homicides on the AT.

That's because 89.4 % of hikers don't make it north of Pa.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I feel it is to dangerous down here in the south for you. Stay up north where there is no vandalism, muggings, or any criminal activity. The Mason/Dixon line might be a good pace to start your trek north.

34 trailhead parking days in the south, no problems.
    7 in the north with 1 broken window and a new paint job by an artist with a spray paint can.

What year is this? I thought all the stereotypes about us dumb redneck hillbillies were gone by now.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post

Maybe Yankees hide the bodies better.

My daughters car got broken into at a trailhead in northern MA.
    I've never had my car broken into in the south, nor has she.
    But we've never parked at a trailhead in the south either.

Don't leave anything visible in the passenger compartment.
    Don't leave anything of value in the car, period.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++