WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default UL summer shelter option on a budget

During my annual visit to virgina I like to take in 4-7 day section walk of the AT (in VA or TN). Up to now I've used a cheap Kelty Grand Mesa 2man (5lb), it been a great tent over the past 6 years, but seems a bit overkill for solo camping in summer. I'm getting older and trying to shed weight. Here are my shelter requirements, doesn't have to be a tent (nothing set in stone);

Keep out rain
    keep out bugs
    <40 oz
    <200$
    minimal condensation

Would like to be able to use as a bug shelter on dry nights and see the stars or maybe setup on a shelter floor.

I don't normally carry trekking poles so tent poles need to be included in cost & weight calculations

I use a tarp and a bugnet over my head and a polycro groundsheet. You can get an integral designs siltarp for super cheap and incredibly light. Keeps out rain, bugs, <10oz, <$100, no more humid than the air.

I'd look for a used Tarptent Contrail/Prolite. 24-26oz and can probably be had for less than $150. Since you don't carry trekking poles, you would need to pick up the single tent pole that Tarptent offers as well (another couple of ounces). Condensation is more a product of pitch location than anything else. With the front/rear of this kind of tarp/tent open it should be manageable.
    The one who follows the crowd, will usually get no further than the crowd. The one who walks alone, is likely to find himself in places no one has ever been.
    -Albert Einstein

A cheap 8X10 silnylon tarp and a generic no-see-um bug bivvy would fit your needs.

http://m.llbean.com/product.html?&pa...Id=80580#80580

3oz over your limit. $200 new. Great guarantee.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Tarps the word. The word is tarp.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Yes my research is increasingly pointing me towards the contrail, although the notch seems to be the best option if I can get one at the right price.
    What do you mean by "consensation... should be manageable"?

I have a contrail that I received 2nd hand from Firefighter (Thanks Brother). Since this is a single wall tent it is more susceptible to condensation without proper ventilation. The rear struts can be set up high for optimal ventilation or at ground level for a "storm mode" pitch. With the struts fully open, the door open, and not pitched in an area that guarantees condensation, you will experience little to no condensation. I used the tent last June in two nighrs of constant summer storms where I had it pitched very low and did experience a little bit of condensation but it was nothing to worry about. I used my bandana to wipe the inside of the tent 1 or 2 times and was fine. My buddy has the Notch and it is a pretty sweet setup also.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the used Contrail. With the debut of the new Protrail, there are some lightly used Contrails on the market for about $150 as Firefighter503 mentioned. The Notch looks nice but you'll spend more.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

The Notch is very narrow and requires 2 trekking poles. The substitute poles are really too flexible to allow a strong staking out. I'd look for a used Contrail, which does okay with the substitute pole and can be tied off from overhead instead. The Rainbow or Moment are much roomier and do not need a separate pole, but they are pricier (even second hand).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Try looking into the Big Agness Fishhook UL2 or Big Agnes Jack Rabbit SL1. Both are a little over on your weight limit (closer to 3.5 lbs), but these weights seem to include a footprint. Both are currently on sale at Sierra Trading Post where 35% off coupons can usually be found easily.

The Fishhook would cost about $185 where as the Jack Rabbit would cost about $140.

"The substitute poles are really too flexible to allow a strong staking out"
    We also have the Vertical Support poles.
    Twice as heavy at 4oz each , twice as expensive, $16 each, but much stronger. (12.4mm/0.490")
    Not really applicable for the OP given cost and weight requirements but good to keep in mind.
    franco@tarptent

++ New Posts ++