WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best quilt temperature for three season use

Looking for an idea on what the best quilt temperature might be. I am between 20 and 30.

Journal Entries

Depends on where you will use it.

Mostly PA and parts of the southern AT.

I just received a 40 deg EE quilt that I plan on using (roughly) April- October. Late October- March I will use my 20 deg Western Mountaineering bag. I can't comment on the temp rating yet but from what I have read the EE quilts seems to be pretty true to the rating. I am located in VA but I would use a similar approach in PA.

In the Canadian Rockies, I've never been cold with an EE quilt good down to freezing. 500 g.

Images

I love my 20* EE RevX quilt for 3 season (4th season spent in warmer climate, still using the quilt) use. It has been my experience that it is easier to cool off if I get too warm, than it is to try and warm up if I have become too cold. I opted for the warmer quilt to extend the length of my backpacking season. The difference in weight is minimal when it comes to getting a good night of sleep on a cold night, and totally worth it to me.

I was leaning towards a 20 degree. I like the comment about cooling off vs staying warm.

I picked up a 20* EE for three season use on the AT. I live in virginia and do most of my hiking there. Probably too warm for summer though. Luckily its light so I dont mind carrying it even in the summer.

Images

I use a 20* EE as well, and am from Virginia. In the summer, I just stick my legs out or move the quilt off my upper body if I get warm, and so far so good. I concur with the above advice that it is easier to cool off in a 20 than it is to get warmer in a 30.

20 degree is good. I have an UGQ Flight jacket. With a quilt you can vent in warmer weather.

I'm always looking for ways to lighten my load, but I refuse to go any lighter with my quilt. I've tried 40*, even30* quilts. I always come back to my 20*, regardless of the season (except winter).

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

I use a 20 degree quilt and have enjoyed it in all the seasons. The only tough part is when it's summer and the temps don't drop down below 80 degrees at night. Oh and here's the only catch I've found with quilting in the warmer months, bugs. I haven't hiked with a bug bivy or net so if I don't have the quilt on me I get bit. Not an issue if you're tenting or have something to keep the bugs off you. Either way, enjoy that quilt! It's made a world of difference for me and my family.
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

I use a Burrow 20* quilt with insulating pad for 3 season camping and find it works well..
    There's so much more flexability with quilts as well as weight savings.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Concur!
    The Hammock Gear 20* Burrow is an ideal 3-season quilt, easily vented in warm weather, and good to below freezing.
    I think it's probably the best all-around choice for most people. Lightweight and versatile.

In winter I switch to UGQ 0* Renegade.
    These two are all I need in the way of top quilts.
    As mentioned in previous posts I also really like the combination of the Feathered Friends "Winter Wren" 25* sleeping bag AND a top quilt. The Winter Wren has zippered arm holes and a draw cord cinch foot box. It can be opened up and you can walk around camp wearing the sleeping bag like a down parka. Comes in handy for midnight runs due to an old man prostate and a little girl bladder.
    The sleeping bag by itself is not quite enough in bitter cold weather but it keeps you from freezing on brief jaunts outside. Once back in the bed, cinch the foot up, pull your arms back inside, and pull the top quilt back over. Within seconds it's snug as a bug in a rug.

For underquilts with the hammock I use three, depending on weather and season.
    summer - HG 20* 3/4 length Phoenix
    spring and fall - UGQ 7/8 length 20* Zeppelin
    winter - UGQ full length 0* Zeppelin.
    Last edited by Cadenza; 05-08-2015 at 03:39.

++ New Posts ++