WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Permithin use

I'm sure I could figure this out if I got a pencil & paper but I'll ask for help. I found some 40% permethrin (Y-TEX GardStar 40%) at the local Tractor Supply. I want to do the soak method / military method of 0.8%. Does anyone know how much 40% permethrin to use per gallon of water? Also do you use tap water or distilled water?

This link may answer a few questions on how to treat clothes. Also offers an option to send in your clothes to be treated. We've treated our own. This year when we replace some clothes off season (when hopefully they will be marked down) we'll send in a couple of sets (70 washes vs 5).

Journal Entries

at I the percentage of permethrin did you use?

Journal Entries

Sorry I mean to say was what percentage of permethrin did you use. Where did yo obain the permethrin?

Journal Entries

Question What percentage permethrin did you use and where did you buy it?

Was it obtained in a Factory Tractor store? I am having a hard time determining how to dilute the percentage for the 40% permethrin I got in a trator stoe.

Quote Originally Posted by Allshookup View Post
    I'm sure I could figure this out if I got a pencil & paper but I'll ask for help. I found some 40% permethrin (Y-TEX GardStar 40%) at the local Tractor Supply. I want to do the soak method / military method of 0.8%. Does anyone know how much 40% permethrin to use per gallon of water? Also do you use tap water or distilled water?

This is the equation to use for dilutions. C1V1=C2V2
    Or V1 = C2V2/C1

C1 is the concentration of the concentrate you are using.
    C2 is the concentration of the diluted solution you want to make.
    V2 is the volume of the final diluted solution you will make.
    V1 is the volume of concentrate you need to use.

Also note that Vw = V2 - V1

Where Vw is the volume of water you need to mix with the concentrate to make your diluted solution.

Also note that you can use any volume units you want (mL, oz, L, drams, cubic furlongs, etc) as long as all volume masurements are the same when doing the calculations.

Quote Originally Posted by scyankee View Post
    Was it obtained in a Factory Tractor store? I am having a hard time determining how to dilute the percentage for the 40% permethrin I got in a trator stoe.
    I use a 36.8% permethrin and I mix 2oz per gallon of water to get a
    .5% mixture (same as in Sawyer product). You should be safe using 2oz per gallon. The mixture will be slightly stronger than mine but you'll be fine. Some people mix it much stronger to soak as the military do. Hope this helps!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    Spray the netting. Don't bother with the rainfly nor the "bathtub" bottom of the tent. Permethrin doesn't soak into waterproof fabrics.

I have a hammock and I either soak or spray it. Mosquitoes can bite right through the fabric of a hammock, so I don't care for it to be pest-friendly.
    Rain Man,
    Are you using Sawyer or something more of a farm grade petroleum for this?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Rain Man,
    Neither. I tried the Tractor Supply Company farm product ONCE. It smelled of petroleum and was intended for livestock, not household use.

I immediately switched to the water-based Martin's brand, intended for household use.

Occasionally I still use Sawyers if I run out of my mail-order Martin's and need something quick.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries

Have you already treated your clothes and gear? Did the solution smell like oil? What amount of permethrin (40%) did you use? I was told a person used 2 ozs to a gallon of water with 36.8 % permethrin for a 0.5 % solution. And he's said he has used it before. I have the (40%) and also a spray can of permethrin I got at an outfitter. I intend to spray my pack and boots but intend to soak my clothes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Above intended for allshookup

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Bumpy View Post
    Rain Man,
    Thanks. I've used the tractor supply product on shorts, socks, and day time shirt, and although not horrified by the smell, it is distinct. I am wanting to treat a hammock and some new clothes so I'll give the Martins a try.

Thanks for all the information, am ordering some today in preparation!

I am ordering the Martin's 10% solution which I will dilute down to a .5%-1% solution. Does the starting solution make any difference if it is all going to be diluted down anyway? I am not finding a non petroleum based version of the 40%.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    Thanks for all the information, am ordering some today in preparation!

I am ordering the Martin's 10% solution which I will dilute down to a .5%-1% solution. Does the starting solution make any difference if it is all going to be diluted down anyway? I am not finding a non petroleum based version of the 40%.

Thanks!
    The starting concentration should not make a significant difference assuming you use the correct number when doing your dilution calculations. There will be a slight error due to the fact that we are using mass based concentration units (%) with volume based measurements, but only an analytical chemist would really worry about that.

As long as the ticks can't tell a difference then I'll be happy

Journal Entries
    Images

Sprayed my tent netting and some clothes (no underwear) with Sawyer yesterday. Watched an ant pay the price for crawling on the tent.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Journal Entries
    Images

Could someone please explain to me why factory applied permethrin is supposed to last up to 70 washings while the self-applied version (Sawyer) only lasts 48 days/no where near the washings?

I just received my order in the mail. I purchased Martin's Permethrin 10% and was going to use it to soak all clothing and spray gear. However, on the Q&A portion of the website it specifically states that it should NOT be used for clothing as it contains ingredients that should not come into contact with skin and to use a separate product for clothing material. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pr...oducts_id=2124

Have others used it to treat clothing without any ill effects? Thinking I just just use this to spray pack and tent items and get something separate for clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
    I just received my order in the mail. I purchased Martin's Permethrin 10% and was going to use it to soak all clothing and spray gear. However, on the Q&A portion of the website it specifically states that it should NOT be used for clothing as it contains ingredients that should not come into contact with skin and to use a separate product for clothing material. http://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/pr...oducts_id=2124

Have others used it to treat clothing without any ill effects? Thinking I just just use this to spray pack and tent items and get something separate for clothing.
    Always use at your own risk...
    I use a permethrin labeled for use on termites. It is 36% I believe. I dilute it down to 0.5% and spray my clothing and gear. I am going to use as a soak before heading out on my thru hike (as to get a better saturation) I have not had any ill effects from my use.
    All permethrin, including the kind sold for clothing, has other ingredients/ distillates. My opinion and everyone has one, is that the stuff sold for clothes is much more expensive and they want to keep saying it at the outrageous price. There is much talk on these forums about its use. Everyone's opinion differs but I can say I haven't ran across anyone who has used the kind you are talking about and the or the kind I use who has had ill effects from its use.

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++