WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Just portion them out in freezer bags. Airtight, and you can rehydrate the food in them (with a cozy, or even a sweater or hat.)

Been through twice SOBO, made it in 7 days 6 nights each time. I'm not a fast hiker usually, but somehow I made good time in the HMW. Going SOBO: the northern half is the easy half, then two big, long ridges and a roller-coaster day at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by full conditions View Post
    I can remember seeing that sign (or one very much like it) in '76 and, despite having hiked all the way up from Georgia, it definitely got my attention. The further in I got the more 'wilderness-y' it felt. It was very late September and I pretty much had the joint to myself and it was amazing - an experience I guess I'll never be able to recreate.
    Yep, there's a sign like then at either end and I took them at their word both times. On my first time through in '90, I don't remember seeing or hearing a single motor vehicle between Abol bridge and the trailhead near Monson. I felt like I was the only human being on the planet when I ascended Whitecap. Just an amazing experience. Same time of year, mid-September. Timed to meet oncoming NOBO finishers.

I live in Maine so it's kind of an annual tradition to hike the 100. My first time SOBO I had 9 days food and 34 lb total start weight. I fished in 8 days. I wax afraid to carry less food and come up short. It worked out well. This year I was prepared to hike it in 6 days but I chose to carry 8 days of food because my hiking partner was inexperienced. My starting pack weight was 25lbs and the miles came easy right from the first day.

We are so lucky to have such a wild trail on the east coast. Have a great trip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did the 100 mile wilderness SOBO this past September. We started at Kathadin Stream Campgrounds in the afternoon. We did a short 13.3 miles that afternoon in about 3.5 hours. Days 2-5 were full days. Day 6 was an easy 3 miles to Monson in about 1 hour.

I've done it twice NOBO, once 8 days once 9 days. Next time I hope to take longer and enjoy it more.

5 days SOBO
    "eastern rain is made of skittles and one need only pack an appetite." - mweinstone

Images

I resupplied at WH landing which was open and only carried about 5 days worth of food Take your time and enjoy it we did about 10 miles a day which gave you plenty of time to see the views (see my pictures) Its a great hike and was my favorite part of the trail

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++