WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Aqua-Blaze

Lightbulb Aqua-Blaze

Don't know if anyone has posted a thread on this recently, but I strongly urge the class of 2015 to do the aqua blaze on the Shenandoah River! It takes some time and planning but is well worth it if you're looking for a little side adventure or something on a grander scale. Myself, Ewok, and Houdini did 10 days in a canoe on the Shenandoah during our thru in 2012. Yes 3 people in a canoe with packs and food and beer for over a week, it can be done. Seriously....do it!

If you want any advice, tips, warnings, etc...ask me!

~LOWPRO

Can SOBOs use a jet ski?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AKA "DANGER" AT Thru-Hiker Class of 2015

i was going to plan on doing that for a return on section hiking. plans have changed now. and planing a 1010 mile section hike out of harpers ferry going south to springer as long as i don't change and start at springer and go north. i have 725 miles done north of harpers ferry and to early to go up north. maybe down the road i will re do this section the way i originally was going to. would make for a fun trip doing this section that way, for section hiker

Quote Originally Posted by LOWPRO View Post
    Don't know if anyone has posted a thread on this recently, but I strongly urge the class of 2015 to do the aqua blaze on the Shenandoah River! It takes some time and planning but is well worth it if you're looking for a little side adventure or something on a grander scale. Myself, Ewok, and Houdini did 10 days in a canoe on the Shenandoah during our thru in 2012. Yes 3 people in a canoe with packs and food and beer for over a week, it can be done. Seriously....do it!

If you want any advice, tips, warnings, etc...ask me!

~LOWPRO

this sounds like it could be a ton of fun! if you dont mind I have a few questions. First of all, how much did it cost? What is the camping situation? Can you just pull off and camp along the shore anywhere? how many miles did you guys cover in the canoe? how far off trail is it to the start and end of the canoeing section? I do a lot of paddling here in Iowa and find it to be very relaxing. What are the river conditions? Any white water? I am already planning on doing the BMT and a couple of other trails along the AT on my thru. i am not one that needs to see every white blaze so this sounds perfect! Thanks for any info.

Susie

Sounds like a good time, doesn't really fit into a thru hike though. I put it on my bucket list.

Quote Originally Posted by susiegear View Post
    this sounds like it could be a ton of fun! if you dont mind I have a few questions. First of all, how much did it cost? What is the camping situation? Can you just pull off and camp along the shore anywhere? how many miles did you guys cover in the canoe? how far off trail is it to the start and end of the canoeing section? I do a lot of paddling here in Iowa and find it to be very relaxing. What are the river conditions? Any white water? I am already planning on doing the BMT and a couple of other trails along the AT on my thru. i am not one that needs to see every white blaze so this sounds perfect! Thanks for any info.

Susie
    I have not done this during a thru so the OP will have to answer some of those specifics, but I lived a 1/4 mile from the river for a couple years and have played on it quite a bit.

As far as the camping situation; While you can't just camp anywhere, a lot of the time the west bank of the S. Fork of the Shenandoah is the border of GWNF and thus open to camping. There is also camping at a few river outfitters, and at least one State Park. You can get good maps from the PATC, also the outfitters who rent canoes and kayaks will help you plan this aspect.

Get with your river outfitter for current river conditions, but in general the shenandoah is pretty chill, a few minor rapids, and a few minor portage spots.

There are a ton of places to put in and pull out between Waynesboro and front royal so you can customize your trip and cost, and hop back on trail from Elkton, Luray, or Front Royal

++ New Posts ++