WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Default Illegal camping?

I've recently noticed on a number of thru-hiking blogs photos of hikers camping on Max Patch, atop Kinsman mountain in NH, etc. I thought camping at these locations was prohibited? While I understand the necessity of stealth camping in an emergency or due to injury and such, am I witness a new trend, i.e. "camping where I damn well please!" on the AT and other trails?
    "If a hiker falls in the forest, and there's not a tree around to hear him, does he make a sound?" JN316

Journal Entries
    Images

Were the trees less than 8 feet tall at the camping spot on Kinsman?

Journal Entries

Yes, they were.
    "If a hiker falls in the forest, and there's not a tree around to hear him, does he make a sound?" JN316

Journal Entries

If a hiker falls in the forest, and there's not a tree around to hear him, does he make a sound?
    Only if he falls on the Spot.

Journal Entries

Was camping on Max Patch a no-no?

Journal Entries
    Images

Just read the ATC Guide and AWOL's guide and neither say anything about NOT being allowed to camp on Max Patch. All that's metioned is no campfires allowed.

Never camped there, but would have assumed it was okay unless specified. Does this mean I have to reserach the USFS site in depth now? Not complaining, just saying that folks are probably camping on MP because nothing in their guides say NOT to.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

Quote Originally Posted by JumpMaster Blaster View Post
    Just read the ATC Guide and AWOL's guide and neither say anything about NOT being allowed to camp on Max Patch. All that's metioned is no campfires allowed.

Never camped there, but would have assumed it was okay unless specified. Does this mean I have to reserach the USFS site in depth now? Not complaining, just saying that folks are probably camping on MP because nothing in their guides say NOT to.
    That is the point of LW's quip.... I think. For some, camping means stringing up Christmas lights and putting out pink flamingos in front of the RV. For others it can mean finding a rock for a pillow. Much depends on what you intend to do at your "camp".
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-27-2015 at 12:26.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Stealth is not synonymous with illegal. The illegal areas are clearly marked in the Whites. There are radius areas around established AMC sites and tree line areas around peaks that are marked off. Sometimes the paper portion is missing. After you have seen a few of these signs the intent is obvious even without the paper. It is possible to camp legally near the peaks of many hills in NH. Some do it wrong. Many don't.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 04-24-2015 at 19:05.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Further more there is plenty of legal camping in the Whites, I have gone through the Whites twice and both times stealth camped all but one night, without violating the rules.

Camping is not prohibited on Max Patch

I believe it is possible to camp near the peak of North Kinsman legally. I am not sure. The climb up South Kinsman is very steep. I doubt there is a suitable spot in that area. The col between the Kinsmans is wooded. Not sure of that area. The point is that it is not a given that it is illegal if someone camped near a Kinsman peak.

define camping

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    define camping
    Setting up your personal shelter: tent, tarp, hammock?
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Setting up your personal shelter: tent, tarp, hammock?
    It's just boiling water, sleeping, and boiling water. Channeling someone.

define camping
    Why does it not surprise me that YOU are in of a definition. You should also ask about hiking. It's a great experience that you should try, like camping.

(I suspect that you will go crying to some moderator like you always do and get this post deleted, but I will be laughing for at least a half hour!)
    * Warning: I bite AND I do not play well with others! -hellkat-

sure kid

define camping
    I grasp your point... I think. I doubt anyone would suggest it is illegal to take a nap at 2 PM most anywhere on the trail. So at what point does napping become objectionable? It would depend on one's definition of camping. Am I close?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I grasp your point... I think. I doubt anyone would suggest it is illegal to take a nap at 2 PM most anywhere on the trail. So at what point does napping become objectionable? It would depend on one's definition of camping. Am I close?
    If you make that assumption in Shenandoah national park, you would be wrong. Camping in shenandoah is defined as using shelter/sleeping gear at any time, day or night.

Rules get made, to combat people that try to circumvent what is supposed to be simple. I expect gsmnp to adopt snp definition one day as well.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 04-25-2015 at 10:57.

Journal Entries
    Images

define camping
    It really runs the gamut from a responsible weekender pitching a tent at an approved and monitored site at a National Park, to some young punk sleeping in the bushes just outside of Madison Hut.

Images

I had no idea I wasn't allowed to camp on Max Patch. Unless it's a storm I bet there's someone camped there every night. But in the Whites anywhere above treeline I recall as not OK. Maybe the rules changed?
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++