WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Insoles?

Default Insoles?

Just wondering in general, how many of you all purchase new insoles for whatever type of hiking shoe you use, or just go with the ones that came with the shoes?

thanks

Images

I always buy new ones & throw out the ones they came with. Personally I prefer Spencos.

99.9% of the time, I get new ones immediately, or within 2 weeks.

After my shakedown hike I got a pair of superfeet green insoles. I was told they could help with knee issues and since than I haven't had any any problems unless I wear other shoes around. Ill always get insoles now.
    Transcend the Bull$hit

Images

+1 on the Spencos.Some of the newer boots have better insoles lately.Sometimes you can just get by with a half type which just protects the heel area ,where some boots have a slight indentation from the injection mold.I got a heck of a blister right in the middle of one heel from this.That was a tough one under the very thick skin there.Got a half sole insert and no more problem....

Images

The guys at the outfitter where I buy my green superfeet cut and shape them for me. The original soles get tossed. Never had a single blister or hot spot since I started using them. Also since I learned the benefit of sizing up on my trail shoes!

Sent from my Galaxy Note 2 using Tapatalk 2

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Toss the factory ones and buy new ones.

Yet another article I wrote addressing this issue:
    http://www.pmags.com/replacement-ins...big-difference
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

I use the insoles that come with the shoes.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Toss the factory ones and buy new ones.

Yet another article I wrote addressing this issue:
    http://www.pmags.com/replacement-ins...big-difference
    Your article is fantastic and to the point. I really enjoyed reading it Mags. Thank you.

It depends on the shoe and the insole. Sometimes I hike without insoles. Sometimes I use felt insoles. Sometimes use an insole from another pair, as some are ok. I do like some that you can buy separate but some are way too heavy.

Spenco PolySorb Total Support. They are about $30 -$35 depending on where you buy them. These work for me.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Default Insoles?

After a bout of plantar faciatis I switched to Spencos in all of my shoes and haven't had a problem since.
    "So hike my own hike I did. Six steps and rest. Six steps and rest.
    The Road to Damascus and Beyond by George "Ole Smoky Lonesome" Sandful
    Class of 2003

Default Insoles?

SOLE brand, been using them for 10 plus years, can find anything that comes close

Minimalist shoes, sandals, or barefoot. No insoles.
    Merry 2012 AT blog
    "Not all those who wander are lost."

Likely more sarcastic than you!
    Images

+1 on replacing factory insoles. They are not necessarily made to be good to your feet. Seems that most of the people that replied feel the same.
    We are all one big human family.

I don't understand why they give you such a flimsy insole with a boot which costs so frigg'en much.

One thing I learned to do is to bring a pair of good insoles like superfeet with you when you go to try on boots. The after market insoles are thicker than the stock ones and change the fit of the boot. The boots or shoes might fit great with the stock insole, but be too tight with the after market ones. Some stores will have a selection of sample insoles to put into the boot to try, but don't count on it.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

We've had threads were quite a few hikers said, and even bragged, about pushing their trail running shoes to and past 500 miles. I don't get how it can be so important to spend $20-30+ on insoles for each pair of shoes, but to resist replacing shoes more frequently. If you need arch support or need an insole to properly locate your heel, then I understand, but it doesn't make sense to me at all if the insoles are used for cushioning as some have said before. When it comes to cushioning, I'd much rather replace shoes more frequently.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    I don't understand why they give you such a flimsy insole with a boot which costs so frigg'en much.
    It sort of makes sense though. Some people aren't going to care what insole is in there. The rest are going to replace it for an insole with different volume, fit, cushioning or because the marketers have convinced them they should.

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    We've had threads were quite a few hikers said, and even bragged, about pushing their trail running shoes to and past 500 miles. I don't get how it can be so important to spend $20-30+ on insoles for each pair of shoes, but to resist replacing shoes more frequently. If you need arch support or need an insole to properly locate your heel, then I understand, but it doesn't make sense to me at all if the insoles are used for cushioning as some have said before. When it comes to cushioning, I'd much rather replace shoes more frequently.
    I can wear out two pairs of NB 814's with one set of spenco insoles. Frankly up until about 8 years ago I used whatever came with my boots. Later on in life you may notice some changes in the bottoms of your feed (other places too). My skin is much thinner and less natural padding on the bottom of my feet.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I think it can be a simple decision: If your feet (or knees or back) are sore while you're walking after 10-12 miles of trail walking then you probably would benefit from at least the heat-molded insoles. 90% of the population (okay, a large percentage) would benefit from better insoles.

As for the comment about why they use such cheap insoles in an expensive boot, part of the reason is that a more expensive insole won't necessarily be the right insole for all people, so don't spend very much on that component if it can be easily replaced. It would be a good idea for boot companies to suggest that option more directly.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++