WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    I have carried around 40 lbs in the Osprey Aether 60 (the original version) the ULA Circuit and the Aarn Featherlite Freedom.
    The Aarn, at 3 lbs, is about 1 lb heavier than the Circuit and a bit heavier than the Osprey but MUCH more comfortable at that weight.
    (not that I like carrying 40 lbs...)
    Franco, do you use the front pockets with the Aarn?

Yes, both packs.
    I have the Expedition type (the largest size...) on the smaller one (Featherlite Freedom) so that it is easier to balance the weight that way.

Ditto on SeekOutside’s new Unaweep pack with the 4600 cu. In. and X-Pack fabric at sub 3 lbs. Mine is slightly older and in the VX fabric, so it is a couple of ounces over 3 lbs. This is a great pack and the most comfortable one that I have ever carried!

Journal Entries
    Images

I think the ULA Catalyst will be the closest thing to (ultra)light that will be able to handle 40 pounds. Carrying 40# of gear in and of itself is NOT UL by ANY stretch of the imagination, period.

During my training hikes I carried 36-39 pounds of weight in my Catalyst (size small) and didn't have any problems. Maybe don't pigeonhole yourself into a certain crazy pack weight of you're going to be carrying that much gear. It's like asking for a UL 3-man tent that weighs less than 3 pounds and costs less than $400. Too narrow a scope.
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep."

I don't own it, so take out your salt shaker...

I put 60lbs in this pack and wore it for 1.5 hours at the store while I farted around. 2.5lbs.
    http://www.rei.com/product/864669/os...055|#tab-specs

It fit my hips a bit funky, the butterfly style internal frame transfers weight very well, but to do it the frame grabs your hips pretty decent. It's a very nice pack for the right person. I think you could easily chop, cut, and take off the brain to get it under 2lbs without much trouble.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselook Marty View Post
    I have an old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, which weighed 3 pounds and was rated to 40 pound loads. It carried 30-35 pound loads effortlessly. The current model closest to it is the Leopard AC 58. It is 3 pounds 1 ounce, but 2 pounds 12 ounces without its floating lid and is also rated to 40 pounds.
    I used one of the Nimbus Ozones on my thru of the AT as well as many other hikes. It is not good for 40lbs. I have never had more than 35 lbs in it and the straps eventually started to tear away from the bag. Plus I found it uncomfortable at 35 lbs. It to me it is really a 30lb and under bag except when you have no other choice.

Images

I'm looking at the new Zpacks Arc Haul pack. I've been using a ULA Circuit for many years, and was thinking about an Ohm 2.0 to save half a pound in the summer, but the Arc Haul looks like it could replace both packs, have more carrying capacity, and it weighs ~24 oz total. Not inexpensive, but within reason for what it is -- a 100% Dyneema pack with a well-thought-out frame, potentially cooler in warm weather, and completely customizable.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

"Carrying 40# of gear in and of itself is NOT UL by ANY stretch of the imagination, period."
    It can be , ask me how ...
    OK, I don't sell Herbalife so I'll tell you
    22 lbs of food, 8 lbs of water , the rest is your 10 lbs UL pack.

I don't have a lot of experience but I have noted a difference between being light and feeling light. I have a 3lb black diamond that I only use when I am sub 30lbs. It is a nice pack that I like but over 30lbs and it feels heavier than my Kelty external frame 65. The Kelty weighs about 4.5lbs. So I give up about 1-2 pounds but no matter what I load into it, it feel light and air flow is good around the pack. It is comfortable enough for me that even though I will be going on a short hike in a week or two and could use the lighter pack, I have opted for the external frame as it is just really comfortable. One exception though, if I was scrambling around rocks I would probably use the black diamond.

I remember a particular 6 day walk when a mate and myself had about 35 lbs each at the start.
    I had my Aarn (about 1.8kg) he had a 700g or so frameless pack.
    I called his pack a sack of potatoes because it looked like one and was pretty much as comfortable to carry as a sack of potatoes with straps.
    He bought another pack later on...

You need to talk to Kevin at Seekoutside. The Unaweep has really impressed me with what it has to offer. It has too many pluses not to take s serious look at. No rain cover, light, can carry well over 40lbs.

^^^^^ what blgoode said! Unaweep is the pack for you. AWESOME pack and ridiculously comfortable at those weights. Under 30lbs and you forget you're even wearing it. 30-40lbs is no problem.

The crown plus air frame sheet is supposed to be able to hold 40. With the plastic sheet they just say 35.

I have the Divide 4200 on order. At 2lb 10oz I had to try it out!!

Exped Lightning 60 will carry 40lbs all day and not bat an eye. 2.5 lbs and often less than $200. Great pack.

Ryan

Contact TIPIWALKER on this site. He is always carrying a heavy loaded pack. I am sure he can help you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++