WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Lightest pack that carries up to 40 pounds

What pack would you recommned that carries but to 40 pounds but is truly ultralight....less than 3 pounds.

Images

you need a sturdy pack with a good suspension to carry 40#. the word "Ultralight" should not even be in this discussion
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

This made me laugh and I guess you are right. So not to be pedantic but what total pack weight do you consider Ultra light then? I noticed that the Z packs are rated less than 30 pounds so I assume anything less than 30 pounds is light or ultra light?

I think i for sure want a pack less than 2 pounds to get me into the light category...so for packs in the 2 pounds or less range what is the recommendation other than z packs? Thanks by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by mlivin01 View Post
    This made me laugh and I guess you are right. So not to be pedantic but what total pack weight do you consider Ultra light then? I noticed that the Z packs are rated less than 30 pounds so I assume anything less than 30 pounds is light or ultra light?

I think i for sure want a pack less than 2 pounds to get me into the light category...so for packs in the 2 pounds or less range what is the recommendation other than z packs? Thanks by the way.
    The Granite Gear Crown 60 weighs 2 lb-2oz and I'm very pleased with it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by mlivin01 View Post

ultralight is down around 10-15lbs (i could be wrong, but will be corrected) i have found with packs in the 2 lb range can carry 30lb comfortably and 35 uncomfortable. i have a golite pinnacle 2lb. and it stops carrying well at 32lb. its 4000 cu.in. and you can fit 40 lbs in it, but carries like a big rock.

GAME 06

I just purchased an Aarn Featherlight Freedom for that very purpose. I am planning on a thru of the Arizona Trial in the fall and it may require I carry up to 45lbs (5 days food and 2 days water at times). This pack weighs right at 4 lbs and is good up to 45lb loads. It is very unusual in that it has front pockets which one loads heavy to balance the pack. It is VERY comfortable and one's natural posture with it is standing straight up vice leaning forward with a regular pack. When it is fully loaded it is possible to keep about 90% of the weight on the hips and virtually none on the shoulders. And yes you can see your feet to look down for tricky foot placements. Real comfort is critical for me as I have had 4 broken vertebrae. You might give it a look.

There is another pack which might suit you that will carry a lot more than 40lbs. External frame. From a post on another thread here.

I got an email from Seek Outside today. They have a new Unaweep model. 4600 cu. in. / 70 liters. Sub 3 pounds. 100 pounds capacity. Waterproof X-Pack fabric. Worth a close look.

Ultralight to me does not mean your pack is really light (like 15lbs or something). It means that you have completely minimized the total weight but still satisfied the requirements of the hike you are planning on hiking. One can do some trails with almost no gear and others require substantial gear. Ultralight means getting rid of the stuff you don't really need and cutting required gear weight as much as safety and ergonomics allow.

Good luck.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Look into the REI Flash 62. It weighs right at 3lbs. There's is no specification on weight capacity, but I haul 30 to 35 lbs in mine on a regular basis.

GG Mariposa

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the Gossamer Gear suggestion. Their packs often go on sale, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Of the packs I own and can testify to:

Deuter ACT 65 Lite
    REI Flash 65 & 50
    Granite Gear Crown 60

I'd use the Deuter for over 40 lb if it were day after day, the Granite Gear if only a few days here and there. I never carry that much any more so it's always the Crown 60 I use.

Klymit Motion 60. Very comfy and carries the weight well. Weighs about 2.7 lbs iirc.

Having the lightest pack is not always the best. You should also look at how well the pack feels on your back. Because we are all different body types, it really depends on personal preference and how well we use it. I would suggest visiting REI or your favorite sporting store and try out some packs. Add in 40 pounds to see how it feels on your back.

Wolf

Journal Entries

ULA Catalyst

I have an old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, which weighed 3 pounds and was rated to 40 pound loads. It carried 30-35 pound loads effortlessly. The current model closest to it is the Leopard AC 58. It is 3 pounds 1 ounce, but 2 pounds 12 ounces without its floating lid and is also rated to 40 pounds.

GAME 06

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselook Marty View Post
    I have an old Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone, which weighed 3 pounds and was rated to 40 pound loads. It carried 30-35 pound loads effortlessly. The current model closest to it is the Leopard AC 58. It is 3 pounds 1 ounce, but 2 pounds 12 ounces without its floating lid and is also rated to 40 pounds.
    I used one of the Nimbus Ozones on my thru of the AT as well as many other hikes. It is not good for 40lbs. I have never had more than 35 lbs in it and the straps eventually started to tear away from the bag. Plus I found it uncomfortable at 35 lbs. It to me it is really a 30lb and under bag except when you have no other choice.

Journal Entries

No UL pack will carry 40 lbs.
    A real UL pack starts at about 23 oz by one definition, which I agree with . Heavier packs are lightweight framed packs.
    3 lbs, is still lightweight, but not by much today.

You can bank on this statement: 43 lbs in a conventional 5 lb pack, will feel lighter than 40 lbs in an overloaded lightweight pack.
    repeat that as often as necessary.

Buy a pack for where you will spend MOST of your time, and accept minor discomfort for the few times you will overload it.

Journal Entries

External frame is the way to go here. Sooo much more comfortable regardless of the weight of the pack.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    External frame is the way to go here. Sooo much more comfortable regardless of the weight of the pack.
    not true at all. there are a lot of internal frame packs that carry up to 50+ well.

Paradox Pack Unaweep. I just took one 18 miles and 5000 ft gain. Wow. Most comfortable pack I have ever worn and I have had a few. Pack moved with you, I could pick items up off ground with out loosing balance or pack making me stiff and rigid. It is an external/internal hybrid. Pack rides very close to you and belt doesn't slip at all.

Forgot to mention the unaweep weighs 3.8lbs and is plenty big.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++