WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    you werent hot enough to cook it
    The microwave does better, but not as good
    to really cook pasta, it needs to be boiled for x minutes

Try using the mac/cheese sauce with ramen noodles or couscous or minute rice

The couscous cooks better, and ramen and minute rice are precooked and dried.
    Winner!

I'll pack the seasoned cous cous and add the appropriate amount of boiling water. Then pop in two slices of American cheese and whatever protein I have planned (summer sausage or sardines). Seal and filter my water for the next days breakfast, and by then it is dinner time.

ok, let me get this straight...
    the milk powder I get, in place of milk...

but you are substituting olive oil for the butter? You say 2T oil.... is that for the kind of mac that requires 2T butter per box....so it's 1:1 oil for butter?

Quote Originally Posted by blw2 View Post
    ok, let me get this straight...
    the milk powder I get, in place of milk...

but you are substituting olive oil for the butter? You say 2T oil.... is that for the kind of mac that requires 2T butter per box....so it's 1:1 oil for butter?
    The blue box calls for 4T of butter for regular prep but at home I usually wouldn't put that much. I might have read 2T of olive oil as a substitute for butter somewhere on whiteblaze or trailcooking or I might have arrived at that by trial and error. If someone uses more or less I'd be interested. I carry olive oil for other things already so that's why I use it. I also read somewhere that olive oil has a terrific calorie to weight ratio. If it helps you - give it a try. If you do something else - I'm always interested in hearing new ways to cook on the trail.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

It's good to know that I am not the only person on the planet who does this type of "testing" at home. I was a little concerned about my sanity this past spring when I was running test after test on stoves, with/without wind screens, taking water temps, timing it, weighing the fuel used, etc. LOL
    https://tinyurl.com/MyFDresults

A vigorous five-mile walk will do more good for an unhappy but otherwise healthy adult than all the medicine and psychology in the world. ~Paul Dudley White

Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    This is an old 2015 thread and I'm reporting back with how I ended up doing FBC mac n cheese during my recent LT hike. I bought a regular blue box of mac and cheese. I cooked the macaroni at home slightly under cooking it (about 6:30 instead of 7:30mins). Then I dehydrated the macaroni using my dehydrator. I then put the macaroni in a quart freezer bag and threw in 1-2 Tablespoons of dry milk (I used instant carnation non fat milk). I bring this quart freezer bag with the mac and milk and separately I bring olive oil and the cheese packet. On the trail I boil 1 1/2 cups of water and pour it into the freezer bag. I put it in a cozy and wait 8 minutes. I then add 2 T of olive oil and the cheese packet and mix it up. Great mac-n-cheese and no sticky pasta to clean up. Not saying this is the only method but this is what worked for me. Just a friendly tip: whenever you are freezer bag cooking I suggest bringing an extra empty freezer bag. I did so using it to carry some food that didn't need to be in a freezer bag but I just wanted to have the extra freezer bag along. And wouldn't you know it one time my freezer bag sprang a leak and I was able to throw it in the spare bag and save it. Hope this helps someone. Thanks!
    That seems like an awful lot of work for Kraft Mac & Cheese.
    It's all good in the woods.

International Man of Mystery BobTheBuilder's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    The reason Kraft Mac 'n Cheese is chewy is because it's made from recycled car tires. I don't know a single person that actually eats that stuff. Hideous!

OkeefenokeeJoe
    Ah, the internet! User has problem, user asks chat board for suggestions, many offer suggestions, one simply offers criticism of you even having the problem.

FWIW, I love the cheesy goodness of blue box mac and cheese. Outstanding after a long day on the trail. I've been using the microwave type for FB method, but I might try your "precook and dehydrate" method. Sounds interesting.
    "Waning Gibbous" would be a great trail name.

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post
    Ah, the internet! User has problem, user asks chat board for suggestions, many offer suggestions, one simply offers criticism of you even having the problem.

FWIW, I love the cheesy goodness of blue box mac and cheese. Outstanding after a long day on the trail. I've been using the microwave type for FB method, but I might try your "precook and dehydrate" method. Sounds interesting.
    Thanks BobtheBuilder and PennyPitncher! I think OkeefenokeeJoe might have been trying to be funny - at least that's the way I took it. As for LittleRock - it actually doesn't seem like a lot of work to me as I like to prep my dinners at home to make dinners more easy and enjoyable on the trail after a long day of hiking but if you want to share your method for mac-n-cheese or what other dinners you prefer instead we are all ears.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

Quote Originally Posted by BobTheBuilder View Post

Lordy Lordy ...... some people are wound just a little too tight. What is it about humor, BobTheBuilder, that you don't understand?

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that Kraft Mac 'n Cheese is a hideous misrepresentation for food. City slickers seem to like it, though. They are welcome to my life's allotment.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Quote Originally Posted by OkeefenokeeJoe View Post
    Lordy Lordy ...... some people are wound just a little too tight. What is it about humor, BobTheBuilder, that you don't understand? ........................ They are welcome to my life's allotment.
    I take it your mac and cheese and trade you my life's allotment of tofu, quinoa, kale , soy milk and coconut oil.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Thanks BobtheBuilder and PennyPitncher! I think OkeefenokeeJoe might have been trying to be funny - at least that's the way I took it. As for LittleRock - it actually doesn't seem like a lot of work to me as I like to prep my dinners at home to make dinners more easy and enjoyable on the trail after a long day of hiking but if you want to share your method for mac-n-cheese or what other dinners you prefer instead we are all ears.
    Sure thing, since you asked. :-) Best part is absolutely no pre-hike prep needed.

Stop at the grocery store on the way out to the trail, buy 1 Knorr pasta/rice side per night on the trail along with a block of sharp cheddar cheese. Boil water, cook pasta in pot, throw some cheese in on top when done and stir to let it melt. Eat pasta from pot, clean pot/spoon with 2-4 oz. of water afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Sure thing, since you asked. :-) Best part is absolutely no pre-hike prep needed.

Stop at the grocery store on the way out to the trail, buy 1 Knorr pasta/rice side per night on the trail along with a block of sharp cheddar cheese. Boil water, cook pasta in pot, throw some cheese in on top when done and stir to let it melt. Eat pasta from pot, clean pot/spoon with 2-4 oz. of water afterward.
    You don't find the clean-up of the pot while on trail annoying? Also since I only boil water with my stove I feel safe not hanging it. I know Knorr sides are super popular though so perhaps I should give it another try. Thanks for chiming in!

Images

Nah, I just pour 2-4 oz in the pot, scrape the edges with a spoon, dump at least 100 ft away from the campsite or shelter, then wipe dry with 1/4 sheet of paper towel. Takes at most 10 minutes.

Not trying to knock Kraft mac & cheese or anything, just can't see putting in that much effort to eat it on the trail. But then again, I'm an "eat to live" kind of guy. HYOH.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++