WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Canadian citizen, any problem with trip length?

Hey again fine folks,
    my next question is whether I might have any trouble just crossing the border to hike the trail for say 1 month. And what happens if I just want to stay 3 months to finish the northern part. And if I really want to just do the whole thing. At what point do I require a visa, and how terribly bad is it to overstay your welcome by a like a week? And how troublesome is it to get a visa? I'm coming from Montreal by train in just two weeks and border agents are usually annoyed when you don't have a return ticket. But beyond that?
    Thank you!!
    Mith

This does not seem like the sort of thing you should just take some guy on the internets word for. I suggest you poke around http://canada.usembassy.gov/ and indeed contact the embassy if you have questions.

I think that's good advice Donde and I wouldn't be taking replies as legal counsel but still I think people have plenty of worthwhile opinions to share

I had actually read on that page before and it does say that Canadian citizens are 'generally' granted 6 months upon entry. And the next thing you know they're shoving tourism websites in your face :P But still the 'well what address do I give in the US where I'm supposed to be saying..." thing makes me uneasy.

Worse case is when you get to white river junction, take Amtrak north to the border, cross the border and then re-enter.

GAME 06

When I read the OP I was sure I was going to find a post below scaring him about what our southern law enforcement does to illegal immigrants

Journal Entries

The easiest way to spot an illegal Canadian is to look for an American, only nicer. Plus they always apologize even if it's our fault.

Journal Entries

I met a few non-US citizens hiking the trail. Generally the entry was granted with little to no questions. One hiker from the Netherlands said he was asked to name the starting point and the ending point, that was sufficient.

Travel by Land or Sea (including ferries): Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.

++ New Posts ++