WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Why are salomons so popular?

Am I missing a special attribute about them that makes them superior to other trail running shoes?

They have a good fit for many people and a great price to performance ratio. I've got a set of Quest 4Ds and am considering getting a pair of XA Pro 3Ds after they wear out.

Why? Because Merrell quit making the chameleon 3. The 4 sucks. The 3 sucked as well. The toe would separate in under 6 months. Once I had a 3 separate in one day. The Salomons are lasting much longer. I bought a pair last year and just now had a problem. The lace broke. I was able to tie a knot in it and keep it alive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyone's feet are different. If a particular brand nails your fit, be glad....and buy another pair quick, before they change or discontinue them, which they surely will.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

It's all about fit for me. I have low volume feet, long and narrow on both width and height. It rules out some options for me, for example keen targhees are an absolute no-go in the correct length my feet will be sliding side to side. The Salomon's are my bread and butter, just put them on and go with the stock insoles and they feel great. I definitely echo what old grouse said about fit, if it isn't broke don't fix it so I'll be sticking with Xa's unless they change.

Journal Entries

They are heavier and more robust than mainstream running shoes.

Most have somewhat shallow tread IMO. (discounting the fellraiser)

They fit my feet well. But weight and lack of tread are reasons I look for others.

Images

I love the speed laces and found they do not collect little rocks. I had to use dirty girl gaitors with my new balance 993s.

They are really comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    They are really comfortable.
    Comfortable? Not for everyone. I bought some XA Pro's and wore them on a 2.5 mile walk.
    The next morning I could not walk. My right foot was jacked. My plantar fascia was so swollen I could barely walk for almost 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Comfortable? Not for everyone. I bought some XA Pro's and wore them on a 2.5 mile walk.
    The next morning I could not walk. My right foot was jacked. My plantar fascia was so swollen I could barely walk for almost 2 weeks.
    Hence refer back to post # 4.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

Not sure why you believe they're so popular, I didn't see that many on the trail, worse case of blisters I've ever seen was a SOBO I met in VA wearing Soloman.

Images

I got a pair of XR Missions last year at the Cabela's in PA. I love them, I really like the wide heel base, which makes my foot more stable & I stumble & fall way less. They fit my feet really well, and the speed laces are convenient. I wore them all the way to Hot Springs, then switched to a waterproof pr of Salomon 3D Ultra for the Smokies to Springer. Still had life left on the Mission's, and I still wear them. About 900 miles on one pair of shoes is good. I'd always used Montrails before, and the trail had eaten 4 pairs by Port Clinton (though both pairs of Mountain Masochist I'd had were defective).
    It'll be Salomon's from now on. Got a brand new pair of XR Missions for work this year. So far they've done well hiking in Utah desert the last few weeks.

++ New Posts ++