WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    Though on a hike where you would not need to carry more then one canister you are really carrying extra. If you can do your hike w/o the windscreen, not only will you be saving the weight of that item, but you will be reducing fuel weight as you will need more per boil w/o that wind screen.

This assumes you will start with a full canister.
    Never thought about it that way....Id rather not run out of fuel though. My concern was the 7 days from mtr to whitney....one small canister enough? Might throw a few ezbit tabs as fire starter/boil water back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Its a montauk gnat. This is easy because zelph flat bottom foster pot ( steel bottom), is smaller diameter than supports on the stove . there are other ways to support screen off of stove though. Its just flashing, rolls up and fits in pot against bottom and walls.

This was my first attempt to get dimensions right, made a nicer neater second one, but it wasnt quite as efficient, so i kept using this one.
    Is this the roofing flashing u see rolled up at Home Depot? It seems heavy? If so where can u buy a small amount?

Journal Entries

Not going to worry about 2 oz of fuel

Just like i didnt worry about the 3.5-5 lbs of extra food i consistently carried on jmt because of faster pace than expected.

Or the wt of the 2 lb bearcan.

When you are light enough, or in good enough shape to make your target miles easily, .....well, it simply ceases to matter.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Is this the roofing flashing u see rolled up at Home Depot? It seems heavy? If so where can u buy a small amount?

The small roll of the aluminum is about $12 i think these days, a small piece for a windscreen for solo UL pots isnt tjat heavy.

Thx

Are you planning to mail your fuel canisters in your resupply boxes, or buy whatever canisters are available at Tuolumne, Reds, and MTR? The various resupply places may not have 110's in stock. During my hike last year, all of them only had 220g canisters available for purchase. I started with a 220, and planned to buy another 110 at TM, which should easily take me to MTR, where I planned to buy another 110. I had a 220g that I stuck in my box to be delivered by the horsepacker at Woods Creek bridge (because I hand delivered the box, fuel mailing regulations were not an issue). I wanted some extra fuel for cooking trout, but was not sure just how much I'd need. Everyone only carried 220's, and I ended up carrying more fuel than I needed to. The 220 canister I bought at MTR lasted thru to Whitney, so I was carrying an extra 220 for a couple days after Woods Creek, until I ran into someone on the trail who was low on fuel and took my extra canister.

Plan on a 110 being good for 7 to 10 boils, or possibly a little more, and be prepared to have to buy a larger canister if that's what's available...
    Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt, and the forest and field in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul.--Fred Bear

www.misadventuregear.com

Images

While it's tough to judge, there are so many variables, I would not count on a small canister lasting for 7 days. Four days, yes, five maybe. Anything past that I would consider very unusual. As others have said, small canisters are not generally available for purchase at the resupply points in my limited experience with them.

Your mileage may be different. Keep in mind, if you treat/filter your water prior to use, often times there is no compelling reason to heat all water to a boil, just warming it up works for things like hot chocolate, instant coffee, instant oatmeal, and many home dehydrated meals (they just may need a bit more time in the cozy, you do use a cozy right?). Not heating to a full boil each time can definitely stretch your fuel. Also, being fastidious about where you set your stove up and protecting it from wind also makes a big difference.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-08-2015 at 09:09.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    While it's tough to judge, there are so many variables, I would not count on a small canister lasting for 7 days. Four days, yes, five maybe. Anything past that I would consider very unusual. As others have said, small canisters are not generally available for purchase at the resupply points in my limited experience with them.

Your mileage may be different. Keep in mind, if you treat/filter your water prior to use, often times there is no compelling reason to heat all water to a boil, just warming it up works for things like hot chocolate, instant coffee, instant oatmeal, and many home dehydrated meals (they just may need a bit more time in the cozy, you do use a cozy right?). Not heating to a full boil each time can definitely stretch your fuel. Also, being fastidious about where you set your stove up and protecting it from wind also makes a big difference.
    I can get 10L+ reliably boiled per small canister in a jetboil, so depending on hot much hot water the OP wants per day, 7 days would not be out of the question. And yes that's a very high efficiency stove/pot system which the OP is not using.

Instead of days out I usually look it as how much boiled water I need in total, then go from there. Depending on that number will be a better indicator of how much fuel would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Maui Rhino View Post
    Are you planning to mail your fuel canisters in your resupply boxes, or buy whatever canisters are available at Tuolumne, Reds, and MTR? The various resupply places may not have 110's in stock. During my hike last year, all of them only had 220g canisters available for purchase. I started with a 220, and planned to buy another 110 at TM, which should easily take me to MTR, where I planned to buy another 110. I had a 220g that I stuck in my box to be delivered by the horsepacker at Woods Creek bridge (because I hand delivered the box, fuel mailing regulations were not an issue). I wanted some extra fuel for cooking trout, but was not sure just how much I'd need. Everyone only carried 220's, and I ended up carrying more fuel than I needed to. The 220 canister I bought at MTR lasted thru to Whitney, so I was carrying an extra 220 for a couple days after Woods Creek, until I ran into someone on the trail who was low on fuel and took my extra canister.

Plan on a 110 being good for 7 to 10 boils, or possibly a little more, and be prepared to have to buy a larger canister if that's what's available...
    Thx
    Couldn't get permits out of Yosemite so I'm flying in Wednesday to mammoth and starting Thursday sept 10 hiking jmt from Devils pp north to happy isles and catching yarts back to mammoth Sunday afternoon...hotel sun night then Monday morning Devils pp south on jmt to whitney. Only have 14-15 days to hike so need to stay light and do 15 mpd avg. think I'll buy a small canister after I fly in that should last till my resupply at mtr (10-12 boils)I'll buy one there to last till whitney.

What stove....

the Pocket Rocket.

What stove....

What stove are you using and how many ounces in avg?

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by towerclimber727 View Post
    What stove are you using and how many ounces in avg?

Wow dug up a old one......I’ve gone stoveless or an alchy stove over last few years...tired of the half empty canisters filling my closet and it’s lighter. I used the SP litemax for several years with a good wind screen and worked well....

I use my BRS 3000T the most because it's entertainingly light and reasonably simple and fast.
    In camp, I am generally jealous of the speed and ease with which my friends and/or family members boil water and cook/make coffee with one of my jet boil stoves.
    I like my SnowPeak LiteMax a lot, but don't use it much since it is not as entertainingly light as the BRS and is not as elegantly fast and hassle free as a JetBoil. It is probably really one of the best stove options on the market because it is light, but not the lightest, simmers pretty well, and is versatile in pot usage. It's just not entertainingly extreme in any category. However, it is very well made.
    I like my PocketRocket because it is such a community standard and is a solid, reliable stove.
    I like my esbit tablets because they are the simplest stove in the world.
    I like my Andrew Skurka style fancy feast stove because it is the simplest alcohol stove I've ever used (except tea candle tins, which require a separate pot support).
    My favorite alcohol stove is the Fancy Feast because it has a built in pot stand, is hotter and more fuel efficient and more wind resistant than most other alcohol stoves out there, and is easier to build than most, especially if you use paper napkin material as wicks (which, by the way work shocking well).
    And, after all that, I probably go stoveless about 1/2 the time because it is so simple and fast.

Now, if I'd get off these darn forums and go backpacking instead, life would be much better.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Wow dug up a old one......I’ve gone stoveless or an alchy stove over last few years...tired of the half empty canisters filling my closet and it’s lighter. I used the SP litemax for several years with a good wind screen and worked well....

Oh wow lol... I didn't even see that, thanks for the reply

Is it raining yet?
    Images

Anyone run the #s on an MSR Reactor?
    Be Prepared

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCloud View Post
    Anyone run the #s on an MSR Reactor?
    Yes. 9.6-9.8g per liter at full tilt, 42°F water.

Snow peak Giga, 50* h20 50* ambient, 10 grams per liter to small bubbles or 190* @ 5280’. Stove is most efficient at lower flame settings with 4.5” diameter pot, titanium. Data from isolated test in garage, no wind.

My Ti jetboil, with a full can, I'll get 20, 2 cup boils for sure in three season weather and not boiling at over 3000'. I have gotten 25 boils of 2 cups one time. I just figure for 20 now.

I have been keeping track for years and with various kinds of stoves and a 100g canister I have never gotten less than 12 boils.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes. 9.6-9.8g per liter at full tilt, 42°F water.
    ... and it's the most wind resistant stove in the world.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++