WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How many boils do you get per small canister?

I realize there are several variables.....
    In planning my 15 day JMT thru I'm trying to gauge re supply....
    I use a SP lite max stove with SP 600 to pot/mug...
    I always shield wind with pack, tent etc. How does altitude effect canister? I always sleep with canister if in cold weather. I've never been out more than 4 days at a time and start with a new canister....I use partials to boil water for coffee at home not to waste before throw in recycle bin..usually boil approx 2 cups of h20...never bring to full boil..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

The stove design makes a huge difference.

I did some testing last summer, trying to figure out how many canisters I would need for a Long Trail thru. Based on the Backpacking Light tests from a couple of years ago, I had been using a Coleman F1 Ultralight - the second most wind-resistant stove in their tests, and thus fairly fuel-efficient.

So I tested it on a couple of weekend training hikes, to see how much fuel I used in real world conditions. Boiling 2 cups of water averaged 15 grams of fuel per boil, all in very light breezes with the stove shielded with my pack, tent, etc.

That seemed like a lot of fuel, so I did some more research and found several UL hikers using Jetboils and getting 5 grams per 2 cup boil. So I found a Jetboil on a really good sale, and we used it for the whole hike. I was using 5-6g per boil, and water boiled more than twice as fast. It's harder to cook in the pot (smaller, and Jetboil recommends against it anyway), but we made do and it turned out to work pretty well.

This sounds like an ad for a Jetboil, but it's really a plug for fuel efficiency in canister stoves, and the Jetboil is just head and shoulders above the (many) other stoves I have used.

Some more info on this BPL thread.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Jetboil really does make a really efficient stove. The heat sinks help a lot to transfer energy to the pot.

If you're not willing to go to a Jet boil setup, another thing you might consider is buying a pot with a heat sink on it. GSI makes the Terra Weekend HE that sells for around $30 and is a pretty nice set.

+1 for the Jetboil, fast and efficient

Images

True, it is not just the stove. I did the testing on the Olicamp XTS pot and found a 40% reduced boil time!!!!! Jetboil pots also have heat fins.

Thx..I dont really want to buy a new $100.00 heavier stove..I love my current set up under 6oz and much smaller in size....I realize it's not as efficient but for mainly weekend hikes works great and always want to start with a full canister anyway.....

Your looking at 6 boils of 2 cups of water per small canister.

on a small MSR cannister i get 12 boils, 1 boil per day ( thats 12 days ) for my dinner, the rest of the time i eat none-cook.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    on a small MSR cannister i get 12 boils, 1 boil per day ( thats 12 days ) for my dinner, the rest of the time i eat none-cook.
    What stove....

Because of all the variables, the best answer you can get is to grab a couple of canisters and try it yourself.

Using a Coleman F1 and a Snow Peak 780 ml multi-compact aluminum pot with lid and 2 cups of water I get a year round average of 3 boils per oz. of fuel.

And, what Rocket Jones said.

From the JetBoil website (http://www.jetboil.com/Support/FAQ/H...-of-fuel-burn/)

A 100 gram canister of Jetpower fuel boils up to 10-12 liters of water. For trip planning, count on 10 liters per canister for some extra margin. If you're melting snow, assume 6 liters per canister. It never hurts to have an extra canister of fuel along, and it might make a big difference in comfort and safety. Please be advised, when in colder temperatures, it will take longer for your water to boil and thus your burner will use more fuel so adhere to the 6L rule.

Journal Entries

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/attachme...7&d=1417908689
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/attachme...9&d=1417908761

My windscreen on my cannister stove weighs 0.35 oz, fits tight around the bottom of the pot.
    This tight fitting windscreen here makes a HUGE difference.
    With the flame on LOW, such that it takes about 7.5 min to boil, I use less than 0.2 oz fuel per 2cup boil. At higher rates I tested it approached 0.3 oz.
    Measuring at home it was actually 0.18 oz.
    On trail, I usually only boil 1.5-1.75 cups as well, not quite 2.

I used half of a 100 gm cannister on the JMT, 11 boils, based on floating it in sink when done, so Id say I could get 22 dinner boils from it.

Pot, stove, windscreen all weigh....3.1 oz
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2015 at 20:13.

When I was making hot breakfast daily I got around 25 boils out of a small. Usually a 2-2.5 cup for dinner and two 1-1.5 cups in the morning for coffee and oatmeal. My setup is an Optimus vega, remote canister stove that allows a tightly wrapped windscreen, with a Primus Eta heat exchanger pot.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

My windscreen on my cannister stove weighs 0.35 oz, fits tight around the bottom of the pot.
    With the flame on LOW, such that it takes about 7.5 min to boil, I use less than 0.2 oz fuel per 2cup boil. At higher rates I tested it approached 0.3 oz.

I used half of a 100 gm cannister on the JMT, 11 boils, based on floating it in sink when done, so Id say I could get 22 dinner boils from it.

Link not working...pls try again

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Link not working...pls try again

works for me. Might not if not logged in.

screen 1.jpg

DSC0screen2.jpg
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2015 at 20:40.

What is it made from? Flashing?

Hey MuddyWaters,
    That is the FM 116T stove correct?
    I've got a 300T that I want to make a windscreen for - your post helps out a lot. Thank you

u.w.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    Hey MuddyWaters,
    That is the FM 116T stove correct?
    I've got a 300T that I want to make a windscreen for - your post helps out a lot. Thank you

u.w.
    Its a montauk gnat. This is easy because zelph flat bottom foster pot ( steel bottom), is smaller diameter than supports on the stove . there are other ways to support screen off of stove though. Its just flashing, rolls up and fits in pot against bottom and walls.

This was my first attempt to get dimensions right, made a nicer neater second one, but it wasnt quite as efficient, so i kept using this one.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2015 at 21:28.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post

Though on a hike where you would not need to carry more then one canister you are really carrying extra. If you can do your hike w/o the windscreen, not only will you be saving the weight of that item, but you will be reducing fuel weight as you will need more per boil w/o that wind screen.

This assumes you will start with a full canister.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++