WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Picking up where I left off. Lincoln, New Hampshire, White Mountains info

Hello folks!

I'm looking for a few pointers. I'm making an open plan to finish the AT this summer.
    I need to pick up where I left off, which was Mt Moosilauke in New Hampshire.
    If you could, would you please help me fill in the blanks?
    I live in Washington, so what city should I fly into, so I can get to the trail from the town of Franklin?

When I left off(2012) I seem to remember taking a bus from Franklin to Boston Airport, but I've forgotten entirely!
    Can anyone help me out with the travel information (bus/shuttle/etc) on how to get to the Kinsman notch trail head once I do get to Franklin?
    Thanks! (many, and a few in advance...I'll be back!)
    -Cal-Pal, (Calamine)

I live in the area and don't recognize the town of Franklin relative to Mt Moosiluakee. The closest town to the AT on the south side of Mt Moosilaukee is Glencliff. Woodstock is to the north. You can fly into Boston and take Concord Coach to Lincoln NH http://www.concordcoachlines.com/ind...ttleton-boston. You then need to book a ride with a shuttle https://www.facebook.com/theshuttleconnection to get to Kinsman Notch. Its highly likely you will be having to find a spot in the woods for the first night as making it to Eliza Brook is harder than it looks (lots of PUDS).

If you want to hitch, the bus stop is on RT 112, if you hike past the interstate west towards Woodstock, you are on RT 112 and if you are lucky you will get a hitch through Woodstock. Otherwise once past the traffic light about 2/3rd of the traffic heading west is going through Kinsman Notch the other third is going on RT 118 that heads to the south side of Moosilaukee).

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You might also consider flying into Manchester, NH, which will be much more accessible to the Whites than Boston by a few hours, and Concord Coach stops near the airport I believe (I once researched to get up to Pinkham Notch, but I ended up using a shuttler instead). I know that there used to be Delta flights from Detroit to Manchester.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

Just from experience, it's typically a lot cheaper (usually almost half the price) to fly into Boston than Manchester. Plus, Concord Coach runs a couple of buses a day to Lincoln with pickup at Logan Airport (Boston), 8 am and 6 pm IIRC. If you fly into Manchester, you'll have to get to the Manchester bus station by cab (same bus runs).
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

When you get there stay at Chet's. He's just down the road from the bus stop.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Journal Entries
    Images

Check out Southwest flights into Manchester, NH.

Its a "real" airport and much closer to you destination.

Go to Southwest's own website and pull up the calendar for flexible date fares for very best deals.

Images

Hey, Thank you all!
    Just the information I was looking for! I had forgotten all the details, and this answers my question perfectly!
    Thanks again!

++ New Posts ++