WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by ryleyb View Post
    This isn't looking great for my start date of June 5th (booked into KSC already!). Fingers crossed for more warm weather!
    Be prepared for bugs!
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Be prepared for bugs!
    Yeah, I've got my long pants/shirt, headnet and piles of DEET.... and I'm still expecting to get swarmed. Mental preparation is the best kind right?

I was out in northern NH today, black flies were swarming, Deet kept them from biting but I would need a dust mask to keep from swallowing them.

Interesting - there was no bug activity on the Kinsmans yesterday - but I am sure that will change soon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

No more than 2 or three black flies (literally) in the Pemi (2000 feet or so) on Friday and Saturday, and just a 1/2 dozen last night.

6/2/2015 - It is currently snowing in Baxter State Park, snow will continue across the higher peaks though the day. Snow on Katahdin down to 3000 feet. Summit trails should be closed today, and possibly tomorrow. In the 30's overnight at Katahdin Stream Campground!
    The Tote Road is still not open between Phoenix Turn and Wadleigh Brook.
    Regarding Maine weather: "White Cap Mountain on June 3rd. Blasting wind, freezing rain and ice at the summit." Frost warnings and temps in the 30s at night across the mountains of Maine during the first week of June.
    Knife Edge to Chimney Pond opened 6/6.
    Trail conditions in the 100: wet, muddy, wet, wading, slippery, and wet. Sobos are heading out before a lot a trail maintenance gets done. Some sections, like Pleasant Pond Mountain, were nearly impassible due to large blowdowns.
    As of early June over 100 Southbounders have begun their AT hikes at Baxter State Park!
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 06-12-2015 at 14:45.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Ole Man from the AT Lodge reports 197 Southbounders as of 6/12/2015, and four nobos!
    Last edited by TJ aka Teej; 06-12-2015 at 15:34.
    Teej

Hi Teej,

Your Private Message Inbox was full so I'm posting this here. I'm sure you know that Scott Jurek is attempting to break JPD's record by running NOBO. He is in Maine now. I am just curious if his crew has reached out to Baxter State Park officials. There may be some concerns as he is valuing night hiking/running to avoid crowds and get better temperatures. Because of this he may need special dispensation to summit Mt Katahdin after midnight. I have no idea what his plans are and I am not part of his crew, just a guy following his attempt with great interest. I'd hate for his attempt to be blown because he didn't make arrangements, if there are any to be made. In any case, thanks again for all you do.

Regards

The rangers have allowed folks in the past to hike up in the dark to catch sunrise from the summit and I have come down well after dark (not by choice) There are late start times posted at the trailheads that basically establish the latest time of the day a hiker can start up the mountain but I expect if someone checks with the ranger and establishes their credentials they can get permission. I expect the bigger issue is if there are a crush of folks who want to join him who don't have day use permits.

Quote Originally Posted by ExNihilo View Post
    Hi Teej,

Your Private Message Inbox was full so I'm posting this here. I'm sure you know that Scott Jurek is attempting to break JPD's record by running NOBO. He is in Maine now. I am just curious if his crew has reached out to Baxter State Park officials. There may be some concerns as he is valuing night hiking/running to avoid crowds and get better temperatures. Because of this he may need special dispensation to summit Mt Katahdin after midnight. I have no idea what his plans are and I am not part of his crew, just a guy following his attempt with great interest. I'd hate for his attempt to be blown because he didn't make arrangements, if there are any to be made. In any case, thanks again for all you do.

Regards
    i'm pretty sure no other record attemptors got any special treatment why should jurek?

ExNihilo: No special treatment for anyone, as far as I know.
    peakbagger: Those times are suggestions, I wish they were followed! I agree about his followers and crew, what if KSC parking is full?
    Lone Wolf: I'm sure you're right.
    Teej

So You Wanna Be a SoBo? by 2000 miler Sprinkles - some excellent insights!

Link.

The 2016 edition of the WB thread will up before April 1st. Some interesting updates for the new season on the way!
    Teej

Journal Entries

Thanks for this thread.. I admit its been very helpful in shooting down some of my fondest hopes and dreams about how early I might be able to start and mainly all that was to do with is avoiding plagues of Black flies and the infestations of mosquitoes in which I have seen the worst examples of in Maine.

So I wont be able to avoid them it seems. Oh well. I will book mark this thread and start getting more information from some of the posted links here. I want to have an enjoyable start and if it costs me cooling my beans a bit thats a small price to pay.

Many thanks TJ for keeping this up to date.

See my response on the thread you started about your reservation at Baxter. I think you may have misunderstood what you read about the 4 month window.

Good luck and happy hiking to all the SOBOs starting up Katahdin soon.
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Wow - as we say along the southern half of the trail - things ain't what they use to be! Takes a technocrat to thru-hike these days for sure!

Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Eighty degrees and sunny hot down here in Florida!
    Think I'll hit the beach!

Journal Entries

Thanks for the info Teej....hope to complete the AT at Baxter in late September!
    Only eight hundred or so miles to go....can hardly sleep at night I'm so pumped up!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++