WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My sani kit!!!

Default My sani kit!!!

I have my pack right now at 18,without food and water and thats weight in the pack.My question is how much does your sani stuff weigh? I have (all travel size) and Im at freaking 1lb 6oz!!!...
    Deo
    Toothpaste and brush
    Goldbond powder
    Goldbond anti friction stick (only one not travel sized)
    Baby lotion
    Mouthwash
    Insect repellent (Sawyer Picaridin)
    Baby shampoo
    Tiny bit of random meds/bandaids/etc
    This weight also does NOT include my TP/wet wipes either...Tell me how to get that down some.

no deodorant. No baby lotion, no mouthwash, no shampoo. Never used the anti-friction stick, but I do have a little bit of Bag Balm I use or chafing or when my feet get wet, like after this 3 day weekend of postholing in three and four feet of snow.

my opinion, too much stuff you probably won't use, and probably in large quantities.

you can find travel size stuff of almost everything in wal-mart or whatever.

ditch the baby lotion, baby shampoo, deoderant, mouthwash. I would probably also ditch the anti-friction stick, but if it works for you - I would at least find a travel-size or something. Body-Glide (amazing stuff) makes a anti-friction stick that's .5 an ounce

A pretty decent hygiene kit should weigh not much more than 8oz or so (mine is currently 12oz but I have nice-to-haves)
    here's mine -
    - toothbrush / toothpaste - can get a travel-size for $1 pretty much any pharmacy store. the toothbrush is half-size, slips in the handle. I like it, because it keeps the brush clean. 1oz tube of paste will last you quite a while
    - hand sanitizer - try to find a 1oz bottle of this. use it every time you finish with the bathroom. I also wash with soap and water before food time
    - soap - 1oz bottle of Dr Bonners. just a couple drops of this stuff will do amazing things, from cleaning you to your dishes. biodegradable
    - toilet paper - definitely don't need more than 1/3 - 1/2 of a roll, smooshed, with the cardboard tube out.
    - baby wipes - try to find a travel pack of 12-16 wipes, that should last you a good week or two depending on what you use them for. warning - these are heavy.
    - anti-itch powder - Gold Bond travel size, 1oz
    - chapstick - small
    - sunscreen - .5 ounce will last a week or so. just get a couple small travel containers, and squeeze .5-1oz of it out of the 3oz tube
    - bug spray - cut this down to 1oz. can get a small bottle from travel sections also, with sprayer, around a buck. the small bottles of bug spray are around 3-4 oz
    - fingernail clippers - I have a really small pair, luxury item, having toenails growing out really will screw up hiking. most don't carry these, and instead put them in a bounce-box

for a first aid kit, the key to this was to think through what you would actually fix out on the trail. you aren't going to do any surgery, so patching up scrapes and blisters is about what you focus on.
    - bandaids - a couple of 2-3 sizes, including a knuckle bandage. ever try to put a regular bandage on a knuckle? these could be replaced with gorilla tape and some toilet paper
    - mole skin - 1 sheet max, or you can just use gorilla tape
    - medical tape - or use (you guessed it) gorilla tape
    - sting stick - found in camping section. for when ants bite you, this will take the itch out
    - tweezers - or a tick removal tool. but I use tweezers for lots of stuff (splinters)
    - gauze - 1-2 4" squares. in case I cut something bigger than a bandaid size, but they are probably not really necessary
    - superglue - really small bottle, I like it for repairs and for closing small scrapes
    - ibuprofin - i take about a dozen ibuprofen / allergy pills, in case something acts up. some will also take anti-diarrhea pills
    - asthma inhaler - for me, it's necessary. since Desert Shield/Desert Storm

For both of the above, they weight 12oz (hygiene kit) and 7.5oz (FAK). I imagine you could drop half of it if you wanted, and cut it lower weight-wise.
    with the FAK for example, you could ditch the bandaids, mole skin, and medical tape, and just use gorilla tape to patch stuff up. drop the gauze, and you probably don't need an inhaler - your FAK would be about 3oz.
    dropping the baby wipes from the toiletry kit alone would save about 3-4oz, but they're a convenience I really like. You're still going to smell like butt after a few days in the woods, but at least I'll be clean on one spot.

hope this helps ya! really it's just a matter of cutting down portions, and finding things that you don't "need", and using stuff that is multi-function. I've even heard of people brushing their teeth with Bonner soap, but I'm not that manly - I'll take colgate any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Rising3agle View Post
    my opinion, too much stuff you probably won't use, and probably in large quantities.

you can find travel size stuff of almost everything in wal-mart or whatever.

ditch the baby lotion, baby shampoo, deoderant, mouthwash. I would probably also ditch the anti-friction stick, but if it works for you - I would at least find a travel-size or something. Body-Glide (amazing stuff) makes a anti-friction stick that's .5 an ounce

A pretty decent hygiene kit should weigh not much more than 8oz or so (mine is currently 12oz but I have nice-to-haves)
    here's mine -
    - toothbrush / toothpaste - can get a travel-size for $1 pretty much any pharmacy store. the toothbrush is half-size, slips in the handle. I like it, because it keeps the brush clean. 1oz tube of paste will last you quite a while
    - hand sanitizer - try to find a 1oz bottle of this. use it every time you finish with the bathroom. I also wash with soap and water before food time
    - soap - 1oz bottle of Dr Bonners. just a couple drops of this stuff will do amazing things, from cleaning you to your dishes. biodegradable
    - toilet paper - definitely don't need more than 1/3 - 1/2 of a roll, smooshed, with the cardboard tube out.
    - baby wipes - try to find a travel pack of 12-16 wipes, that should last you a good week or two depending on what you use them for. warning - these are heavy.
    - chapstick - small
    - sunscreen - .5 ounce will last a week or so. just get a couple small travel containers, and squeeze .5-1oz of it out of the 3oz tube
    - bug spray - cut this down to 1oz. can get a small bottle from travel sections also, with sprayer, around a buck. the small bottles of bug spray are around 3-4 oz
    - fingernail clippers - I have a really small pair, luxury item, having toenails growing out really will screw up hiking. most don't carry these, and instead put them in a bounce-box

for a first aid kit, the key to this was to think through what you would actually fix out on the trail. you aren't going to do any surgery, so patching up scrapes and blisters is about what you focus on.
    - bandaids - a couple of 2-3 sizes, including a knuckle bandage. ever try to put a regular bandage on a knuckle? these could be replaced with gorilla tape and some toilet paper
    - sting stick - found in camping section. for when ants bite you, this will take the itch out
    - tweezers - or a tick removal tool. but I use tweezers for lots of stuff (splinters)
    - gauze - 1-2 4" squares. in case I cut something bigger than a bandaid size, but they are probably not really necessary
    - superglue - really small bottle, I like it for repairs and for closing small scrapes
    - ibuprofin - i take about a dozen ibuprofen / allergy pills, in case something acts up. some will also take anti-diarrhea pills

For both of the above, they weight 12oz (hygiene kit) and 7.5oz (FAK). I imagine you could drop half of it if you wanted, and cut it lower weight-wise.
    with the FAK for example, you could ditch the bandaids, mole skin, and medical tape, and just use gorilla tape to patch stuff up. drop the gauze, and you probably don't need an inhaler - your FAK would be about 3oz.
    dropping the baby wipes from the toiletry kit alone would save about 3-4oz, but they're a convenience I really like. You're still going to smell like butt after a few days in the woods, but at least I'll be clean on one spot.

hope this helps ya! really it's just a matter of cutting down portions, and finding things that you don't "need", and using stuff that is multi-function. I've even heard of people brushing their teeth with Bonner soap, but I'm not that manly - I'll take colgate any day.
    Everything I have is travel sized.
    The toothpaste and toothbrush you mentioned is exactly what I have
    The soap I have is 2oz (you have 1oz)
    Toilet tissue/wipes/goldbond exactly as you
    Sunscreen same as you
    Bug spray is actually 0.5 oz
    I dont have hand sani,fingernail clippers and my med kit is smaller than yours...and Im 1lb 6oz.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    no deodorant. No baby lotion, no mouthwash, no shampoo. Never used the anti-friction stick, but I do have a little bit of Bag Balm I use or chafing or when my feet get wet, like after this 3 day weekend of postholing in three and four feet of snow.
    Baby lotion is 2oz and I chaf BAD.Thus the reason for the anti friction stick and baby lotion
    Mouthwash...Well I use listerine and have for 20 years and if I dont use it,you dont want to be around me...Suppose I could ditch the toothpaste and brush with the gasoline,err,I mean listerine.

And no deo???? ***? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by thecyclops View Post
    True story brauh - after a week or two on the trail, you can smell a day hiker coming before you can see them because of all the smelly product they use (and most likely the opposite, yet same for you!).

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    True story brauh - after a week or two on the trail, you can smell a day hiker coming before you can see them because of all the smelly product they use (and most likely the opposite, yet same for you!).
    Is this the norm? I will be beginning my section BTW,so out about 6 days I suppose.

There no deo on the planet that would help at all with hiker stench. Embrace the funk.

My sani kit is Dr Bronners in a repurposed food coloring dropper bottle and a bandana. I also have Purell in a similar bottle. I use a tiny toothbrush and baking soda in a pill ziplock. That's about it. I swim a lot.
    Last edited by BirdBrain; 05-11-2015 at 19:59.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    There no deo on the planet that would help at all with hiker stench. Embrace the funk.

My sani kit is Dr Bronners in a repurposed food coloring dropper bottle and a bandana. I also have Purell in a similar bottle. I use a tiny toothbrush and baking soda in a pill ziplock. That's about it. I swim a lot.
    Yep. No deodorant. You are in the woods. Embrace your au naturel funk. My GF says my hiking socks smell so bad they keep the moose at bay so I hang them in the trees at night to air out

OK...No deo.
    And the Dr.bronners,which variety? Im looking and amazon has a ton....and Dr.woods brand also.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    So very true!

OK...No deo.
    And the Dr.bronners,which variety? Im looking and amazon has a ton....and Dr.woods brand also.
    Unscented!!!! That is also why I use baking soda for toothpaste. Do not have any mint smelling anything. Peppermint is a common ingredient in animal lures.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rising3agle View Post
    here's mine -
    - chapstick - small

That's my kit almost exactly. I ditch the medical tape - I carry a small amount of gaffer's tape instead. I never seem to need the moleskin or body lubricant because by now, after about fifty years of weekending, I've got my clothing and footwear dialed in pretty well. I do carry the gauze. And the wet wipes. (Pack out the used ones! They don't compose in a cathole, for years!)

I add a few things that I think total no more than 2 oz:

A paper clip, in case I need to lance a nail (and I did, back in October, after an encounter or three with deteriorated bog bridges). If a nail turns red or black and gets extremely painful, you need to make a hole near the base of it to relieve the pressure. Easiest way is to unbend a paper clip, heat the end red hot, and burn a hole in the nail. Sometimes it takes a few heatings to burn through. You won't burn the nail bed, the gush of blood and fluid will cool the paper clip. Treat the wound with triple antibiotic ointment afterwards. Speaking of which:

A half-ounce tube of triple antibiotic ointment. (bacitracin/neomycin/cyclosporin)

A dozen diphenhydramine HCl 25 mg tablets. It's an antihistamine, a sleeping pill, and an antinauseal all in one. Dosage is 1-2 tabs every 6-8 hours for nausea, 2 tabs every 6 hours for bad allergic reactions, 1-2 tabs at bedtime as a sleep aid (do not continue the sleep aid more than 3 nights).

A half-dozen 20 mg famotidine tablets. Dual use - antacid and potentiating agent for the diphenhydramine in allergic reactions. Dose is 1 tablet every 12 hours as needed.

A dozen 262 mg bismuth subsalicylate tablets, for diarrhoea with or without vomiting. Two every hour until the squirts stop or I run out. I start loperamide (I carry 4 10 mg tabs) only if this is ineffective. I also monitor for blood mucus, or fever and start Cipro if any are present. So, for that matter:

A course of ciprofloxacin (in case of dysentery). I don't bother if I'm always going to be within about a day's walk of a trailhead, but I occasionally go places that I can't walk out of in a day. I'm kind of slow. (Start this empirically, if observing bloody or mucous stool, and get to town.)

8 tablets of hydrocodone 7.5 mg/acetaminophen 325 mg. One tablet every six hours for severe pain, and get to town!

Both of the last two are with the understanding, "I need to see a doctor if I start taking this. But I might need it to get to a doctor."

All the pills go in a pill envelope per drug, all stuffed in a little prescription bottle.

Oh, and if you have a history of severe allergic reactions of any sort, including hives without a known explanation, carry an Epi-pen.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I obviously don't know what sani stands for. I thought it stood for sanitation... as in hygiene.

I FOUND IT!!!!!!!

I obviously don't know what sani stands for. I thought it stood for sanitation... as in hygiene.
    It does indeed.

It does indeed.
    Okay. I thought there was an acronym there or something when people started in on first aid. As to that, my first aid kit is equally minuscule. I have a prevention kit that is a bit more involved though.

Okay. I thought there was an acronym there or something when people started in on first aid. As to that, my first aid kit is equally minuscule. I have a prevention kit that is a bit more involved though.
    I suppose thats my fault.I did mean a little more than just the sani kit,little meds and essentials I guess....From keeping the undercarriage clean to keeping it happy

My philosophy on first aid kit is that if you need a big one, then a big one will likely not save you anyways. If it comes to that, I will be breaking trekking poles for splints and tearing up clothing for dressings and using duct tape to hold it all together. At that point my hike is over and I won't need the clothes or poles. I will just need to make it to safety. As such, my first aid kit is geared more towards very minor cuts and weighs about an oz. I believe prevention is where a hiker's focus needs to be. Take care of your feet. Don't fall down. Filter water. Stay away from shelters and privies. Stay warm and as dry as possible. Hydrate. Don't get sunburned. Etc....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++