WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Registered User Bryce McCormick's Avatar

Question How important are poles for a thru hike?

I'm planning an ultralight thru hike for 2016. My base pack weight right now is about 15lbs. I've managed to acquire everything I need but I'm on a pretty tight budget and would rather save the money. I'm in good shape (170lbs, 33 years old) and I'd like to hike the trail a bit faster than usual (don't know if that matters). I have a fair amount of hiking experience but only over long weekends. I've never used them before and am not opposed to getting them, but I'd like some perspective from both camps if possible. Thanks.

Hi

I have used two poles for some time on walks here in Australia! Used them on a 1003 trek last year great for balance and take weight on downhill !

They have kept me from falling several times. . . so balance is good. Also helps to "boost" me up some places that require a large step up. I've also used them to beat around grassy areas or logs to scare off any critters before I sit. I never used to use them, but once you try them, you will be glad you did.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You don't have to spend a lot of money to have a hiking stick. I make my hiking sticks out of bamboo. Very light weight. Get some tennis racket grips and you'll still have solid control even if you're sweating or if it is raining. To avoid a blunt end at the top I even get a little fancy and glue smaller pieces of bamboo into the top nesting several layers till you have a solid piece of wood the you can send to a nice round shape. Finish it off with a protective layer of polyurethane and perhaps a chair leg foot protector to reduce wear on the bottom.

Journal Entries

"How important are poles for a thru hike?"

How much pain are willing to experience when you walk, both on trails and in everyday life, during the remainder of your life after your thru? Hiking rapidly, especially when making descents day after day for extended periods, damages some people's knees. Perhaps your knees will be fine, but do you really want to run the experiment to find out?

Paying a bit now, perhaps even $100 to $200 for good quality light weight poles, might be cheaper (not to mention less painful) than having knee surgery done later in your life.

FYI--I personally walk more slowly than most other people do, and during my 43 years of "off and on" backpacking I have never done any walks lasting longer than three weeks. So, it's not surprising that my knees are still fine even though I only began using poles recently. I use poles now to reduce the number of times that I fall down on trails. They also make me more confident and increase my hiking speed slightly.

Thirty years ago my youngest brother section hiked the entire AT while in college, without using poles. Subsequently, I've only heard him express one regret about having completed the AT; his knees were never the same afterwards.

Some people like them and some don't. Some need them and some don't. I never used poles when I was your age but I need them now to ease down steep inclines.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Default Sticks

When at Springer this year some started with none. By Neels Gap, all had 2 sticks pulled from the woods. Poles are my other 2 feet, because you need 4 to be a pack mule. Even if you are
    an ultralight pack mule.

Images

The younger you are, the less you need poles, unless you have prior knee injuries. Poles help at any age, but become more "necessary" as we age.

I started using them consistently in my 40's so as to minimize the damage I was doing to my knees. For the same reason, I went all out replacing my old, conventional gear with very lightweight alternatives, and changing my ideas on what I needed to carry. I had seen too many folks whose knees deteriorated with extensive backpacking, and I did not want to end up having to give up hiking because of physical wear and tear that I had not done all I could to alleviate.

Personal decision, but I will no longer hike with a pack without poles to assist - especially for the down hill and big step-ups. Too much strain on the knees in these cases.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-12-2015 at 09:15.

Registered User Bryce McCormick's Avatar

This is great info. Thank you for all the replies. I hadn't considered the long term effect of my knees. I love the idea of maybe a bamboo pole.

Poles slow you down, get in the way, are tough to transport, but come in handy for fording rivers (something you rarely have to do on the AT) and setting up a tarp/tent.
    The only time I use them is if I have an injury.
    just my 2 cents.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Poles slow you down, get in the way, are tough to transport, but come in handy for fording rivers (something you rarely have to do on the AT) and setting up a tarp/tent.
    The only time I use them is if I have an injury.
    just my 2 cents.
    Once you get any sort of trail legs poles slow you down.
    Until then they are great. I NEED them on down hills, my knees like the extra support.
    Don't need or want them going up.
    On flat ground, nothing is really flat, I can get into a rhythm with them but walk faster without them (not much).
    It is nice to have something to do with your hands when walking all day.

Do you need them, NO.
    Do you want them, Maybe.
    Bad knees, YES.
    Borrow some and see for yourself.

I always take poles with me, even if I don't plan to use them. As previously mentioned they're great support for your knees on downhill.

They're also a way to get some work on your upper body while hiking all day long. I don't work out but I do like to have the exertion evened out between my lower and upper body sometimes and this helps.

The decision maker for me is the ability to continue if my legs aren't in prime shape. For example, last year I was on a 12 day hike on Isle Royale and an old ankle injury flared up for no apparent reason other than it was the worst possible timing. I didn't fall, have a bad twist or any other trauma that I noticed. But it started swelling and getting painful after about 3 days in.

With poles and over the counter anti-inflammatory pills I was able to continue my miles as planned and finish my trip with enjoyment. I had to cut out some side treks and spend time with it propped up and admittedly spent some time whining to myself about the situation but the poles were critical to continuing. Would not and could not have traversed the length of the Minong trail without them.

Totally worth it,

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    Would not and could not have traversed the length of the Minong trail without them.

Totally worth it,
    Yep, tough trail with a bad ankle - but very worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Some people like them and some don't. Some need them and some don't...
    There you go. I saw a photo of the A.T. supported and unsupported record holders hiking together. They both were using poles. I know Jennifer Pharr Davis used poles when she set the record. I don't think Anish used poles on her unsupported record of the PCT. I think Josh Garrett, the supported record holder, often uses poles. Scott Williamson doesn't use poles. It depends on the person and the conditions and also on what the person is accustomed to.

On flat ground I prefer no poles. For steep ground or river crossings I think they are great. I'd definitely carry poles on the A.T.

Check for poles on sale, they don't have to be super expensive. Or just try hiking without them.

If you're interested in a single hiking 'staff', look for a wooden broom or shovel handle. Very tough and can be cut to length to suit you. Put a rubber cane tip on the bottom for durability and a little skid resistance, and wrap some paracord around the top for your grip. This would be a quick and cheap way to see if you like hiking with them.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

If you have a Costco membership (or a friend who does), the $30 carbon fiber poles with a flicklock are quite the bargain. Seems solidly made besides being light. Good way to try out "real" hiking poles w/o breaking the budget. Otherwise used ski poles are another budget item to try poles.

As others said, some like 'em..some don't. I find they get in the way on smooth trails. Are awesome for off-trail scrambling.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

trekking poles are very important.helps with stride, helps for support on steep ups and downs, helps with screen crossings, and can even double as tent poles if you use the very light tarptents. all this for just a couple pounds.

Images

If you are ultralight you probably don't need them as much. My gear is light to mid-weight and I find myself getting off-balance while rock hopping and the poles really help. They also save your knees a lot on down hills. I don't think I would use poles if I was going ultra light though.

A unexpected benefit of using poles is dogs tend to stay clear. No need to swing them at them, they just seem to realize that their target is armed.

I use poles heading up hill and downhill. If things are flat and level like much of the south. I am usually carrying both poles in one hand but once the grade changes I switch over quickly.

Go to a thrift store and get two graphite shaft golf clubs about the same length. Take a hacksaw and cut off the club head leaving some of the metal hosel. Put a trekking pole cap (Recommend Black Diamond from REI) on them and go for a hike. You'll be out ten bucks maximum if you already have a hack saw and 15 if you don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++