WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Looking For a Good 7 Day Section

I am looking to do a good 7+/- day section. I have hiked very little of the AT but have done a decent amount throughout the Midwest and out West. I know I'm in decent enough shape to knock out an average of 15 miles a day depending on terrain. I'm looking for a section that has some good views, sights, etc. I'd like to stay along the southern half of the trail (due to travel time from home) but I'm not opposed to going north. If you have any suggestions please pass them on along with any information you might have regarding shuttles from the end point to the start. Thanks!

Journal Entries

NOC to Standing Bear, including the GSMNP.

Images

NOC to Standing Bear would be good.

Also, Neels Gap to NOC is a 7 day trip if you are in good shape. I'm doing this starting Memorial Day weekend. Supposed to be spectacular views around Wayah and Wesser Balds.

Another option would be to start at Davenport Gap (Standing Bear) and go to Erwin. You get Max Patch and Big Bald on that stretch.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

I will definitely look into both of those. What's everyone's opinion of hiking Springer to Bly Gap? This interests me because I would be able to check a state off my list as completed. My very first "hike" was supposed to be Erwin, TN to Kincora Hiking Hostel but was cut VERY short to the Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel due to my hiking partner falling out on me. I've considered doing this section also. I've heard about hiking the Presidential Range and although it's an option I'm thinking it's a little too far north to drive from Indianapolis without a group (trying to keep the cost down).

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bwillits View Post
    I will definitely look into both of those. What's everyone's opinion of hiking Springer to Bly Gap? This interests me because I would be able to check a state off my list as completed. My very first "hike" was supposed to be Erwin, TN to Kincora Hiking Hostel but was cut VERY short to the Greasy Creek Friendly Hostel due to my hiking partner falling out on me. I've considered doing this section also. I've heard about hiking the Presidential Range and although it's an option I'm thinking it's a little too far north to drive from Indianapolis without a group (trying to keep the cost down).
    Nothing wrong with GA. I think it has fewer views. Amicalola falls are a highlight, but not on the trail. , then there is long creek falls too, just off the AT.

In june, I would also suggest try to include Roan Mtn in a section.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-12-2015 at 19:45.

Images

Shenandoah National Park at 15 mpd can get you end to end in 7 days. Mostly interstate drive from Indianapolis to southern entrance of the park.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Hot Springs to Erwin or 19E is a great section if you are in good shape.

hikernutcasey I'll be doing the same route beginning next Thursday.

Come on up to New England and hike the White Mountain section or the Mahoosuc section in Maine. You will not be doing 15 mile days, but you sure will get some great views and have the time of your life.

SNP - That was the best one for me, a Michigander, to complete in a short time. I was a great one too!!!

Images

Thanks everyone for your input. I'd love to head to New England but it's 16 hours of driving one way to get to the Whites. I'm debating between the Georgia section, Erwin to Kincora so that I can experience Roan, or SNP. So many options!

++ New Posts ++