WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Light Camp Shoes

FYI, I found these imitation Crocs today at Family Dollar in Denver for $6. They weigh 7.8 ounces for the pair.

I wear a size 10 1/2 in shoes that cost more than $6, but these are numbered a size 9 men's and fit well enough to do the job for not much weight.

I tried making my own lightweight slip-on (non-thong) sandals a while back with paracord and flip flop soles but they just weren't comfortable at all and were only about 2 ounces less than these so I gave up on that idea. I even found directions on how to make slip-on sandals using blue sleeping mat foam. They only weighed 1.5 ounces but were way too flimsy (and ugly).

I'm tired of researching this subject so will settle on these camp shoes and be done with it.
    camp shoes.JPG
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just loosen the laces on my hiking shoes and wear them around camp. Gets the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Walkintom View Post
    I just loosen the laces on my hiking shoes and wear them around camp. Gets the job done.
    This was my technique for 30 years and then discovered crocs. Now I always carry crocs. Why? Hiking shoes are often a mess, muddy, wet, sweaty, frozen, soaked. Plus hiking shoes cannot/should not be used for creek crossings esp in winter unless they are soaked anyway. Crocs are great fording shoes. Vital to keep the footwear and hiking socks as dry as possible on a backpacking trip at 0F. Plus, wet hiking shoes are heavy. After a long day of backpacking I enjoy removing my boots and never seeing them or using them again until shove off in the morning. Gotta love camp shoes.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Vital to keep the footwear and hiking socks as dry as possible on a backpacking trip at 0F. Plus, wet hiking shoes are heavy.

Since this is the Colorado Trail forum, perhaps it is more instructive to show you what the trails look like in Colorado at 0F. (lower here actually)

I can assure you, no one should be in crocs in Colorado at 0F. The streams have snow on them. See those long, thin planks connected to leather boots?
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

We had a polar vortex last year and I had to cross several streams at 0F and the only way to do it was in my crocs cuz I couldn't sacrifice my boots and socks for a short underwater ford. Both would've froze solid in seconds afterwards and stayed frozen for a week.

A 0F crossing.

On the other side I re-booted and packed up the crocs, visible above.

But Mags is right, in deep snow crocs are useless around camp (but still are needed as fording shoes). When in camp with deep snow I use my down booties to hike around the tent on in-camp chores etc.

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

Zems! Very light, the "shoes" can be rolled up in the pack, and they can be used for crossings. Ron

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    W
    But Mags is right, in deep snow crocs are useless around camp (but still are needed as fording shoes). When in camp with deep snow I use my down booties to hike around the tent on in-camp chores etc.
    Again, this is Colorado and not the wet south. Different snow..and lots of it on top of creeks for the winter. Not just a few inches during a vortex.

Crocs are pretty useless in the Colorado winter. The "fording" is done on snowshoes or skis as the streams are under several feet of snow.

Try fording these streams in Crocs.

Getting back to the topic on hand for three-season backpacking in Colorado (and not skiing..or Appalachian winters), some like camp shoes for three-season backpacking in Colorado. Personal preference. I don't use the personally.
    Last edited by Mags; 05-12-2015 at 20:26.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by San Juan Ron View Post
    Zems! Very light, the "shoes" can be rolled up in the pack, and they can be used for crossings. Ron
    SJR - I've been thinking about replacing my Crocs with these. The site claims the shoe is 2.8oz - have you weighed yours? These would fit INSIDE my pack and save some weight in theory...

In the shadow of Segments 22 and 23 between Lake City & Silverton.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuff View Post
    SJR - I've been thinking about replacing my Crocs with these. The site claims the shoe is 2.8oz - have you weighed yours? These would fit INSIDE my pack and save some weight in theory...
    I dumped the Crocs a few years ago. My Zems are nearly 2 years old and I wrote 3 oz. on my hiking spreadsheet (I don't have my scale with me right now) so the 2.8 oz sounds correct. I used the Zems crossing (almost swimming) across Cochetopa Creek last year (it was a river at the time!) and a couple other crossings. They also allow your feet to breathe in the evening which is great around camp. The only downside is they are a bit pricey, but I found them well worth it. I wouldn't go on a long thru hike without them. Ron

Ron - I googled Zems and found numerous different models of them. Which one are you using?

I was wondering the same thing actually. It looks like the 360 XT is the lightest model. If Ron bought two years ago, he might have the original 360s which were more flexible (and I'm wondering if that means lighter).

Default Light Camp Shoes

Found a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra II's on Amazon for $40 - at 7oz for the pair they reduce over half the weight of a set of Crocs (16oz) and much better on the construction (sold as a running shoe).

(I bought the set without the included sock)

I just saw these and I thought I would through them in for consideration. keen uneek. not the lightest- 11.1 oz and not the cheapest either -$100 but they do look interesting.

I'm interested in using them as an around the house shoe as well as camp/fording shoes.

what do you think?

Cordage might absorb a small amount of water, but otherwise they look sturdy enough?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeatGeek View Post
    wooops- here you go-

muneek_magnetneon_green_3q.jpg
    I saw a pair of these in an outlet store the other day, so of course I had to play with them a bit.

Here are some of my initial impressions. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert, nor do I play one on tv...

These could definitely be used as a camp shoe, or for water crossings. Could probably be used for hiking, but I don't think you would get hundreds of miles out of them.

The lack of toe protection would be a little worrisome for me. These small openings are perfect for allowing toes to be jabbed with sticks on river bottoms, or allowing grit to get into the shoe (but are not big enough to shake it back out).

They would stay on your feet for river crossings, but cordage would absorb water.

I love Keen's, but these really did not feel like they were worthy of the $100 price tag. I do have Keen Newport H2s and hike all over the place in them, and they are excellent for water crossings. They are also heavy, but they are worthy of the $100 price (in my opinion).

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I saw a pair of these in an outlet store the other day, so of course I had to play with them a bit.

Here are some of my initial impressions. Please keep in mind that I am not an expert, nor do I play one on tv...

These could definitely be used as a camp shoe, or for water crossings. Could probably be used for hiking, but I don't think you would get hundreds of miles out of them.

The lack of toe protection would be a little worrisome for me. These small openings are perfect for allowing toes to be jabbed with sticks on river bottoms, or allowing grit to get into the shoe (but are not big enough to shake it back out).

They would stay on your feet for river crossings, but cordage would absorb water.

I love Keen's, but these really did not feel like they were worthy of the $100 price tag. I do have Keen Newport H2s and hike all over the place in them, and they are excellent for water crossings. They are also heavy, but they are worthy of the $100 price (in my opinion).
    Some of the cordage also looks continuous, so if you really needed some cord you could cannibalize your camp shoes for some.

++ New Posts ++