WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Which are "the" books to take?

I was about to buy the CT Map Book and the CT Data Book. But I started to get confused and I wonder if you can offer any help. 1) Am I right that this is the Data Book that everyone is talking about: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/193...=ATVPDKIKX0DER 2) If so, should I buy it? 3) Is this the Map Book to buy: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/Co...ok-MAPBOOK.htm 4) The websites aren't clear whether info about the "Collegiate" thingy is in these. Does anyone know offhand? I see the words "Loop, East, and West" sometimes, but don't know if east and west comprise the loop, or what. 5) If I buy both of the above, do I already have the info that is for sale here: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/CT...age-CLBNDL.htm 6) I've heard something about Pmags' dirty guides, but don't know if that refers to a print work that I can order (and make a friendly donation to him for) or whether it's his (very wonderful and useful) blog/website. Does anyone else know? Thank you!

Journal Entries

Those are the CT association data book and map book.

The collegiate west alternative is NOT in the current data book. A new revision is not out yet
    The collegiate west alternative IS in the map book, the latitude 40 map, and Guthooks app.

Google Pmags colorado trail. Mags (who is a moderator here) put together an excellent 18 page primer on the CT on his website, its free, . He has done the same for a bunch of other trails too. Check it out first. Theres nothing dirty about it.

You have to decide how much information YOU want to carry to hike, and what type. If you want to summit 14 ers, which is a big part of the CT really, you need other maps for those too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-31-2015 at 08:42.

_The Colorado Trail Data Book, Fifth Addition_ contains data and maps for the entire trail, including the Collegiate Loop section. I don't know if it is *the* book to carry, but it's the one that I'm taking. As the maps in the data book are pretty basic, I'm taking the "Colorado Trail Pocket Map" by K. Scott Parks. The official map set is probably better, but I got this one as a gift and it seems adequate for me. It's also cheaper. Are there other choices? Yeah. Depending on one's experience with the trail and with long distance hiking in general, more or less information may be required. If your name, newToThrough, reflects your experience, get more information! Oh, the "east loop" of the Collegiate Loop is the 80 mile section of the original route that goes past the Collegiate Range. The "west loop" is the new section of trail west of the same range and mostly contiguous with that part of the Continental Divide Trail. Hope to see you out there.

Journal Entries

There were 2014 reroutes on collegiate west, including a 23 mile long one, out of the ~80 miles , that are NOT in the 2013 data book. 5th edition. See the CT website. The only maps the 2014 reroutes also said to be on are Latitude 40, guthooks app, and the big CT mapbook.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-31-2015 at 14:57.

Quote Originally Posted by porky View Post
    _The Colorado Trail Data Book, Fifth Addition_ contains data and maps for the entire trail, including the Collegiate Loop section. I don't know if it is *the* book to carry, but it's the one that I'm taking. As the maps in the data book are pretty basic, I'm taking the "Colorado Trail Pocket Map" by K. Scott Parks. The official map set is probably better, but I got this one as a gift and it seems adequate for me. It's also cheaper. Are there other choices? Yeah. Depending on one's experience with the trail and with long distance hiking in general, more or less information may be required. If your name, newToThrough, reflects your experience, get more information! Oh, the "east loop" of the Collegiate Loop is the 80 mile section of the original route that goes past the Collegiate Range. The "west loop" is the new section of trail west of the same range and mostly contiguous with that part of the Continental Divide Trail. Hope to see you out there.
    That's very helpful, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There were 2014 reroutes on collegiate west, including a 23 mile long one, out of the ~80 miles , that are NOT in the 2013 data book. 5th edition. See the CT website. The only maps the 2014 reroutes also said to be on are Latitude 40, guthooks app, and the big CT mapbook.
    I've seen the CT website and its inability to be clear is what led me here. I'm confused again, though, because I think the person who wrote back just before you said that the re-routes ARE on the CT Map Book. That is, assuming that by "reroutes" you mean the Collegiate West and Collegiate East. If you meant something different, could you clarify what you meant? I get the impression that a lot of people (like the CT website authors) spend so much time talking and thinking about the CT that they know what they're talking about when they say something like "loop" or "reroute" but those of us who don't live in Colorado, don't know any through-hikers, and don't know anyone who's ever hiked the CT are not in the loop (pun intended) and it's difficult to understand what's what.

The Colorado Trail Mapbook is completely up to date in regards to the east and west Collegiates. Also the Lat 40 map and Guthooks App for phones. The Collegiates Loop book is also current. The Official Guidebook and Databook are not up to date - they are under revision right now but won't be available in time for this season. And as far as I know, none of the third party guides are up to date.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by newToThrough View Post
    I've seen the CT website and its inability to be clear is what led me here. I'm confused again, though, because I think the person who wrote back just before you said that the re-routes ARE on the CT Map Book. That is, assuming that by "reroutes" you mean the Collegiate West and Collegiate East. If you meant something different, could you clarify what you meant? I get the impression that a lot of people (like the CT website authors) spend so much time talking and thinking about the CT that they know what they're talking about when they say something like "loop" or "reroute" but those of us who don't live in Colorado, don't know any through-hikers, and don't know anyone who's ever hiked the CT are not in the loop (pun intended) and it's difficult to understand what's what.
    reroute, means they moved the trail. Portions of it were on jeep roads, my understandint is that they are trying to get it off of that and onto single track. They moved portions of collegiate west in 2014, the databook was printed in 2013, hence it is not uptodate. Bearcreek makes the mapbook for the CT, he is the real expert on all this.

In most cases a mile or two of rerouted trail is no big deal, but a 23 mile section might be. For most people, thats a couple of days of hiking that IS NOT correctly depicted in the databook. You should have another source of reference for the collegiate west.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-31-2015 at 18:59.

Quote Originally Posted by bearcreek View Post
    The Colorado Trail Mapbook is completely up to date in regards to the east and west Collegiates.
    Excellent! That's a relief
    Also the Lat 40 map
    Cool. But if I buy the Colorado Trail Mapbook, can I assume that the "Lat 40" book will be redundant?
    The Official Guidebook and Databook are not up to date - they are under revision right now but won't be available in time for this season. And as far as I know, none of the third party guides are up to date.
    Okay, good to know. Am I correct to assume that the Databook's purpose is to point out water sources, info about nearby towns, known campsites, known obstacles, etc.? If so, can you recommend any resource for the section(s) in question? Maybe a website that I can print out.

reroute, means they moved the trail.... In most cases a mile or two of rerouted trail is no big deal, but a 23 mile section might be. For most people, thats a couple of days of hiking that IS NOT correctly depicted in the databook. You should have another source of reference for the collegiate west.
    Great, this makes sense. And bearcreek chimed in and mentioned that the current map book IS current (and I have to assume he means the re-routes) so it sounds like the Mapbook will be my "other source of reference for the collegiate west."

The Colorado Trail Mapbook is completely up to date in regards to the east and west Collegiates.
    Just to be clear, that means the "reroutes" that are being discussed in this thread, right?

Hey everyone, I sort of answered my own question, here. I'd been looking at the Colorado Trail Mapbook and what it was saying was confusing. But when bearcreek mentioned the Latitude 40 book, I looked it up and it says this: "Shows the new, spectacular, 23-mile reroute in the Collegiate West that is found only in the Collegiate Loop Map Book, The Colorado Trail Map Book and this 2nd Edition Latitude 40 Salida Buena Vista Map. The trail has moved off road onto singletrack and opened for its first season in 2014." So that means that the Colorado Trail Mapbook DOES have the current info, including Collegiate West and Collegiate East and their re-routes. I don't know what those things mean, but that's the answer. (It's what bearcreek said, above, so it's no surprise that it turns out to be correct, but this is just independent confirmation. Here's the link: http://www.shop.coloradotrail.org/La...-Map-LAT40.htm Personally, I think I'll go with the Mapbook, since from what I'm seeing, it has everything and is 100% current.

You have to decide how much information YOU want to carry to hike, and what type. If you want to summit 14 ers, which is a big part of the CT really, you need other maps for those too.
    Wait, what? Do you mean separate side-trips or do you mean sections of the CT that are above 14000 feet and for some reason aren't on the Colorado Trail Mapbook? I wouldn't expect to do any separate hiking other than the CT. Is there something I don't know about that you think I should know about?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by newToThrough View Post
    Wait, what? Do you mean separate side-trips or do you mean sections of the CT that are above 14000 feet and for some reason aren't on the Colorado Trail Mapbook? I wouldn't expect to do any separate hiking other than the CT. Is there something I don't know about that you think I should know about?
    Its hard to pass a couple miles from 14 ers and not summit a couple of them for most people. The views are why you do it. But the side trails to do these thing arent covered in CT maps. The CT doesnt go that high.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

The popular map books (including the bear creek map books) are pretty much for the CT corridor only. If you want to do side trips or alt routes off the main CT, then yes..you'll want additional or different maps.

As Muddy said, many people want to do the side trips.

As a rough analogy, the CT is I-80. You can go across the country very easily with minimal road guides. Stop at easy on/easy off hotels, gas up at truck stops along the way. Get your meals at easy pull offs.

If you want to explore the little towns and curiosities off I-80, you need a Rand McNally or similar map that shows scenic spots, places of historical interests and so on.

The CT proper is very nice and beautiful. But sometimes the side trips, or alternate routes, are well worth going to and/or hard to pass up. And for that, you may want some additional resources.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    The CT proper is very nice and beautiful. But sometimes the side trips, or alternate routes, are well worth going to and/or hard to pass up. And for that, you may want some additional resources.
    Huh. Good to know. Is there one (or maybe two) in particular that you would recommend? I'm mostly planning to put my head down and get to Durango ASAP, but if for the rest of my life every time I tell the story someone asks "did you hike this alternate route, that one, etc.?" and I have no answer, I'll feel like I should have detoured. On a related note: when people talk about all of the snow that's still up there, which has caused me to delay my start date until late June or early July, are they talking about the CT proper or the side routes?

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

re: snow

Both for sure. Lots of snow in the high country (though, starting to melt out). This is from May 26th. Slightly lower now.

snow-pack.jpg

re: side trips

The most accessible is official now and maintained by the CTF: The Collegiate West alternate. Bear Creek (who posts here) has a nice map book for it. Essentially the CDT, it has been rerouted recently on to the divide proper and off roads for the most part.

Other popular side trips include the 14ers. Elbert, Massive and San Luis are probably the most popular. Elbert is the tallest in the state, San Luis is very easy to get to on the CT.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Default Question for bearcreek

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    re: snow Both for sure. Lots of snow in the high country (though, starting to melt out). This is from May 26th. Slightly lower now. snow-pack.jpg re: side trips The most accessible is official now and maintained by the CTF: The Collegiate West alternate. Bear Creek (who posts here) has a nice map book for it.
    Thanks, mags. Also for the snow update. I'll be checking that routinely to plan my trip. It's so difficult to believe that there's that much snow up there, when it's been so ungodly hot lately even more than a mile high. But I guess that's what the mountains are all about! [p] Yeah, I think I'm sold on buying the map book. One last follow-up question: Are the maps in the map book better than the maps in the GUIDEbook? (Not the Databook, the "The Colorado Trail, Eighth Edition")? I have the guidebook and if the maps are the same, I won't buy the Mapbook. But since the maps in the Guidebook aren't really great, I'd assume that the Mapbook has better ones.[/p]

Default Question for mags:

Hey man, where did you get that map of the snow? I've been looking at this one but I like yours better: http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/webmap/...106.534&zoom=8

Re. side trips to 14ers, I didn't do any on my thru but my hiking partner ascended San Luis Peak in Segment 20 which I believe is the closest 14er to the CT. He just followed the worn path to the summit. If you want to ascend Mts. Elbert or Massive, they share the same trailhead and my impression is that the trails to the summits are pretty well-worn and easy to follow.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++