WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

Nice! Looking forward to a trip report, good, bad or ugly.

Sounds like a perfect setup for a great trip.

Or Murphy could show up and make it miserable.

Either way if you walk away with life, limb and eyesight it will be worth it.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Don't use an alcohol stove the first time out. Despite looking simple they take a lot of practice and patience. Especially in windy conditions. Try to keep your pack weight down(15 pounds before food and water is reasonable). Be prepared to dump or change your gear once your out there. It happens to every novice. Good luck.

Images

the best adventures are the ones you don't have time to overthink... like the commercial says "just do it". You're going to have a blast!
    Biggie

Like many have said - focus on the 'big-3' (pack / shelter / sleep) as soon as possible.

For a pack there are some really good options, if you have any store where you can try a couple packs on I'd really recommend checking it out there. An Exos 58 is a solid pack, pretty lightweight - but there are other options. If I were starting 'new' I'd definitely look at the Exos-58 first, and branch out from there to other economic packs (such as the Flash45 or Flash62). You really can't beat walking into a store (like REI) and trying on a pack to see what 'fits' you best; they are also very happy to assist. As a side-note, REI has a member-sale (20% off a item) starting tomorrow - $20 lifetime membership can save you a lot of money.

sleeping system is also pretty easy - I'd 'feel' a couple of the air mattresses at a store, and pick one you like that was under 24oz or so. The xlite is a good mat, used by a lot of people. Or you can go with the fold-up styles; they're lighter, just bulky and usually wind up strapped on the pack. For a bag, a good 40 degree down bag would work fine. I'd be tempted to spend a bit more and get a 20 degree I could use for 3 seasons, and it really wouldn't be much more expensive. key is down, and decent (somewhere at least around 600-pwr fill)

as for shelter, that one is tough for me - I hang in a hammock. i know there are LOTS of tenting options, the tarptents are really popular, light, and not too badly priced. I wouldn't try to go too light on this, especially for the first-run at a 3-week trip, but if nothing else one of those little Eureka one-man tunnels are like $69 on sale nowadays and would do in a pinch. Just try to keep it under 2lb, preferably one that uses trekking poles.

Those three items (well 4 because of pad / bag) will (in my opinion) be the hardest to get 'right' and many people spend years trying to get what works best for them. That's why I would definitely recommend that if there was any way possible, to walk into a store and try some rucks on. You spend most of your waking time wearing a pack, and without a decent sleep it's really going to suck the next day. It sounds like you've done a lot of research, so if you can narrow it down to a couple options - walking into a store and handling product will probably steer you in the right direction.

the rest of the items are no less important, it's just easier to select a cooking pot than a backpack. I really like Breve's inexpensive list, and it's definitely a good baseline. no one list works for everyone. Would recommend you build a list for YOU, with anticipated options for each item that you want to select from. Keep your choices to no more than 3-5 for bigger items, 2-3 for smaller. So for pots, a 900ml Snow Peak, 700ml, and the ever-famous WalMart GreasePot for example; then out of that list I would probably select the 900ml. As you buy gear, you could mark it off. Amazon is a great resource if you want to purchase stuff.

getting the tent / pack / sleep system earlier is better - you can set up the tent in the backyard, sleep there overnight (or go to a local campground) to get the kinks worked out - guy lines, set up process, etc. You can throw 20-25lb of stuff into the pack, carry it up and down the road for 4-5 mile walks 2-3 times a week to get used to it (this is where having your boots or shoes would also really help).

good luck, and definitely keep us updated! I'd love to have 3 weeks in a row to hike - heck I'd join you. entire month of may has been shot even though I just retired (inbetween jobs now), we have events every weekend the entire month of may (two kids graduating- one from high school, one from college). Hoping to get out in June at some point. until then, I'll have to be happy with 3-5 day treks.

You guys have been a ton of help so far. I appreciate it. The problem of course is my inexperience in all manners hiking. Gear is the big issue when you don't know anything at all. We have no outfitter here in Hattiesburg unless you think Academy Sports or Gander Mountain is one. Everyone has their own opinion about gear, but I think I have enough information to at least keep me alive a few days on the trail.

Images

Hiking is like a lot of hobbies where some sort of gear is required, and so folks (usually guys) end up spending more time fetishizing the gear than actually doing the hobby. Other examples include photography, high end audio (which used to be called "listening to music"), fishing, etc. My God, man, you can't possibly catch any fish without the latest $500 carbon fiber nanocoated fishing rod.

So gear is important - heck, it can be crucial for survival - but it's also a distraction from the main endeavor. You will be hiking in moderate weather, in the summer with long days, in a well populated area with plentiful towns for resupply. As long as you have some sort of shelter, some food, and something to carry it all in, you can be successful. Long distance hiking is much more mental than physical anyway.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

Quote Originally Posted by 0utlier View Post
    ...or Gander Mountain is one. Everyone has their own opinion about gear, but I think I have enough information to at least keep me alive a few days on the trail.
    Friends don't let friends buy gear at Gander Mountain (or reloading supplies....but that's a different forum)

Make sure you do something nice for the wife.
    nous défions

It's gonna be ok.

Ditch Medicine: wash your hands and keep your booger-pickers off your face!

Less than 2 weeks away from my 3 weeks on the trail. Whiteblaze has been fantastic, but I still feel I'm severely unprepared. 3 weeks ago I had zero gear and now I have pretty much everything. Fortunately I'm an older guy with a little money and ended up dropping about $1500 on gear mostly from Amazon as there is no outfitter near me. My base weight is around 15lbs maybe a little less. I've been hiking my local mountain bike trails while increasing mileage. Unfortunately in MS it is FLAT so hiking with any meaningful elevation change is not going to happen. I keep relying on the "you'll figure it out on the trail" idea as to resupplying. We'll see. I created a youtube channel really for friends and family, but I'll share it here if anyone cares. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C1Dtp3lqB0.

Images

Watched your video. My bet is that you do just fine.

If you have an opportunity, spend a few nights sleeping in your tent/bag. Even if you can only do it in the backyard. Simulate arriving at camp, and start to develop a routine for setting-up your tent and sleep system, filtering/treating water, cooking/eating dinner, clean-up, sleeping, cooking/eating breakfast, packing-up and getting underway at a reasonable time in the morning.

Knowing how your tent, stove, sleeping pad, etc work BEFORE you are depending on them 100% will be invaluable to both your efficiency and confidence when on the trail for the first couple of days.

Beyond that, don't pack too much food. Most folks do not have much of an appetite the first few days. Just plan out small to moderate meals for the first four days, add in a morning snack, afternoon snack, and an evening snack. Then throw in a SMALL (less than 1/2 lb) bag of trail mix to fill in any light meals. I'm betting you will have plenty of food with this packing scheme. This is one of the areas that many folks have a problem - taking way too much food. Most of us will be in no danger at all missing a meal or two or being a BIT hungry for a couple of days.

Finally, take it easy, especially the first week, remember, your goal is to enjoy yourself. Listen to your body. My theory is that if aches, pains and twinges are moving around my body on an hourly or daily basis, then no problem - to be expected. If, however, pain and serious discomfort settles into one particular spot, then address that. That may mean covering a hot spot, stopping early to rest, altering your schedule to slow down, soaking a body part in a nice cold stream, or even seeking out a Dr's advice. Being out for three weeks, you will have time to potentially need to do any or all of these.

Again, I bet everything goes fine and you enjoy the experience tremendously. Keep in mind rain , some cold weather, and mosquitoes are all part of "goes fine".

Good luck and HAVE FUN!!!!
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-26-2015 at 06:42.

Images

Yeah, for resupply you really can figure it out on the trail. You've seen this page, right?
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Outlier,
    Sent you a PM.
    I have a ULA Circuit (Large/Large) that is to0...large for me.
    Used one night and will let it go for a song if you are interested and it FITS.

Have a great hike.

so, let's hear what your big 4 are -- shelter, pack, bag/quilt, pad?

excited? nervous? I'm totally jealous.

your list made no mention of a cellphone and/or camera.

start out easy the first few days as you acclimate yourself to the trail. With any luck you might make it to Hot Springs, that would put you into a nice trail town north of the Smokies

good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by swisscross View Post
    Outlier,
    Sent you a PM.
    I have a ULA Circuit (Large/Large) that is to0...large for me.
    Used one night and will let it go for a song if you are interested and it FITS.

Have a great hike.
    For what it's worth....Ula will swap out waist belts if it's unused....I'm 5'11" @ 215lbs...large circuit w med waist belt fits me perfect...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Lyle - I plan on staying 100% outside for 24 hours sometime this week (in the backyard). Breakfast, training hike, lunch, hike more, dinner, then tent for the night. I've already put up and torn down the tent several times so I feel pretty good about that. I've used my sawyer mini on a training hike so I'm good with that. I have not cooked in my jetboil yet, but will very soon. I feel pretty good about my odds of staying alive for 3 weeks. I'll definitely have fun.

@bigcranky - I actually found that page last night and printed it out. My biggest unknown is resupplying, but I'm sure I figure all that out on the trail.

@Ashepabst - The big four huh? Ok...

1. Shelter - Big Agnes Copper Spur UL2
    2. Pack - Osprey Exos 58
    3. Bag - Kelty Cosmic 40 degree
    4. Pad - Thermarest NeoAir Xlite (full size) I cherish my sleep.

Hammocks intrigue me, but I really like having four "walls".

@Praha4 - I will be taking my Galaxy S5 and a Sony Cybershot W830 camera. Getting to Hot Springs hasn't even crossed my mind. I'm hoping to get to Clingman's Dome. My must get to point is Fontana Dam. If I made it to Hot Springs I would be shocked. I did print out my GSMP thru-hike permit just in case. You never know.

Things that I've seen that force people off the trail on a long distance hike:

1) Trying to carry too much weight. Makes them miserable or injured and they have to stop. Strained backs, torn muscles / ligaments, damaged knees and ankles. Normal falls become dangerous - balance becomes difficult.

2) Trying to hike too far / too fast with untested footwear. Feet ground to hamburger meat in the first few days. Painful blisters that make normal walking hard..

3) Trying to hike too far / too fast before protective callouses develop on feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this will help but it is worth checking out. I have used this company for my resupplies along trail and found it to be cheap and reliable.
    www.zerodayresupply.com

Good luck with your preparation. You will truly enjoy the hike and be back out there again in no time

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++