WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

How are you coming along with stove development?

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    How are you coming along with stove development?
    Sorry, ran a couple tests yesterday but ran out of time / forgot to post them. I've got more time now, though, so expect more frequent tests.

Trial 7: Doubled-over wick (like fancy feast; much thicker), and cut it so tall that it touches the pot when on the stand.
    Time to soot: 1 minute.
    Test terminated, too sooty.

Trial 8: Cut wick shorter and cut off a wrap, so it was less thick and tall. The top extended just above the edge of the bottom can.
    1 cup of water @ 80 deg F
    15mL 91% isopropyl alcohol as fuel
    Boil: 7:30
    Sooty after 6 min

Conclusion: I have to experiment with the thickness and height of the wick. I'm beginning to suspect that the tolerance for error is much smaller than I thought...
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    Conclusion: I have to experiment with the thickness and height of the wick. I'm beginning to suspect that the tolerance for error is much smaller than I thought...
    I find that only builders that have a low tolerance for error build stoves that have a low tolerance for error. All other builders exaggerate or are not concerned. You, sir, are my kind of builder. When you have perfected it, I will copy it. I doubt I will use isopropyl. It would be nice to have a perfected stove that can just in case I do. Keep up the good work. I am enjoying the trials. This is where real knowledge is obtained.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    You, sir, are my kind of builder. When you have perfected it, I will copy it.
    Agreed, thanks for taking time to share your results.

Journal Entries

Dont discount effect of windscreen. My tight windscreen i use with slx type fuel will cause soot from ethanol.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I find that only builders that have a low tolerance for error build stoves that have a low tolerance for error. All other builders exaggerate or are not concerned. You, sir, are my kind of builder. When you have perfected it, I will copy it. I doubt I will use isopropyl. It would be nice to have a perfected stove that can just in case I do. Keep up the good work. I am enjoying the trials. This is where real knowledge is obtained.
    I had meant that the tolerance for error was low in getting the iso to burn cleanly for as long as possible, not for it to be efficient (although the concepts are closely related). But thank you for the compliment

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Dont discount effect of windscreen. My tight windscreen i use with slx type fuel will cause soot from ethanol.
    I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I think. My goal for now is clean-burning iso, not necessarily efficiently-burning iso; therefore a loose windscreen is perfectly acceptable to me if it lets it burn cleanly.
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Liberty View Post
    I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, I think. My goal for now is clean-burning iso, not necessarily efficiently-burning iso; therefore a loose windscreen is perfectly acceptable to me if it lets it burn cleanly.
    It is logical to learn how to adjust the burn where you can see the flame. However, once you master that, it is inevitable that you will seek a more controlled environment. I good screen or, even better, a cone will create that environment. Said controlled environment will have a more predictable and, depending on the level of control, possibly a much lower oxygen supply. I have some ideas. However, if I provide them you will only be repeating what others have already done.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++