WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The book does open with a story about time travel... 'sides facts and figuring ain't my specialty.

How bout this one then-
    "The best trails have no mileage markers."
    Ol' Man Willy

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    How bout this one then-
    "The best trails have no mileage markers."
    Ol' Man Willy
    That'll work!
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

We were just in Zion and saw many folks from around the world there in the wrong clothes & shoes, carrying inadequate water and bizarre snacks.

But I was SO GLAD they were there. The more people out in nature, the more inclined to want to protect it. Not everyone has to buy just the right gear, just the right food and follow just the right trail. Let's not be fundamentalists about the outdoors and only welcome those who follow a prescribed set of rules.

There is room enough for everyone in the out-of-doors. Let's be welcoming. (And gently remind them not to litter!)

Images

"Townsend"? You have a sister living in Texas?

Reminds me: still have to write a review of your GREAT book "Lying on the Trail". Or something like that. Truly enjoyed it.

Any interesting mail lately?
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    "Townsend"? You have a sister living in Texas?

Reminds me: still have to write a review of your GREAT book "Lying on the Trail". Or something like that. Truly enjoyed it.

Any interesting mail lately?
    Definitely no sister. Other relations... I don't think so.

I did receive some interesting mail, a few pieces actually.
    But as the one in question was sent anonymously I thought it poor form to say thankee directly.

Although indirectly I suppose it wouldn't hurt to say thanks!

Not that you or I or anyone reading this knows what I'm talking about that is.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Going back to the opening subject, here is a comment that I have left somewhere previously with regards to the A Walk in the Woods movie:I'm actually excited for the movie. For all of the concerns about the damage that will be done as a result of overuse in the Southern most section (which is a concern I share), we forget that the majority of people who will watch the movie and be inspired by it aren't going to try a thru hike. It's easy to focus on the idiots that are inevitably going to watch the movie and then show up at Springer dangerously unprepared, however I am willing to bet that for every one of those fools produced by the film, there will be dozens of more intelligent people who see the movie, catch the hiker bug, do proper research and begin to enjoy the A.T. and other trails in their free time. We all got into this pursuit one way or another and this movie is hopefully going to increase the popularity of hiking and the outdoors throughout the country.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GScout View Post
    We were just in Zion and saw many folks from around the world there in the wrong clothes & shoes, carrying inadequate water and bizarre snacks.

But I was SO GLAD they were there. The more people out in nature, the more inclined to want to protect it. Not everyone has to buy just the right gear, just the right food and follow just the right trail. Let's not be fundamentalists about the outdoors and only welcome those who follow a prescribed set of rules.
    Sorta goes with summer like bees and honey. Being so close to northern Virginia / D.C. , I see many urbanites make the quick trip down I-66 for a weekend getaway. Good to see their young kids being introduced to nature even if it's just partial
    immersion.
    One never knows if that first experience visiting a National Park might lead one day to a life of helping to preserve them.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

Deleted. I posted to wrong thread.
    Last edited by rickb; 05-16-2015 at 20:47.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Definitely no sister. Other relations... I don't think so.

I did receive some interesting mail, a few pieces actually.
    But as the one in question was sent anonymously I thought it poor form to say thankee directly.

Although indirectly I suppose it wouldn't hurt to say thanks!

Not that you or I or anyone reading this knows what I'm talking about that is.
    I don't know nuffin'. Just glad you got some interesting mail. Damn good book.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

AT 2012

I just finished reading k.r. Nilsen's book Peaked... Sort of about the great wilds of northern New Hampshire and solitude/adventuring. Fits right in with your thread, there, mr. Just bill... Actually reminded me of you. So, glad to see you continuing life's journey.
    You know anything about Nielsen?
    Lazarus

I agree that attention is good, especially in this day in age when were developing every last acre of land, however, I would compare your statement that any kind of attention is good to business. As a business owner I don't take on some, actually a lot of business I'm offered.. "It's business though!" You say, but it's bad business and no business is often better than bad business. Camera crews on the AT filming races (as was in another thread) and hipster kids that have no business being in the woods going out there and getting hurt be the dozens is "bad business." Although the fewer hipsters the better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 1azarus View Post
    I just finished reading k.r. Nilsen's book Peaked... Sort of about the great wilds of northern New Hampshire and solitude/adventuring. Fits right in with your thread, there, mr. Just bill... Actually reminded me of you. So, glad to see you continuing life's journey.
    You know anything about Nielsen?
    Is that the one about the lime in the coconut?
    Otherwise no, but it can certainly get added to the long list...

Quote Originally Posted by The Splitter View Post
    I agree that attention is good, especially in this day in age when were developing every last acre of land, however, I would compare your statement that any kind of attention is good to business. As a business owner I don't take on some, actually a lot of business I'm offered.. "It's business though!" You say, but it's bad business and no business is often better than bad business. Camera crews on the AT filming races (as was in another thread) and hipster kids that have no business being in the woods going out there and getting hurt be the dozens is "bad business." Although the fewer hipsters the better. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    While I fully agree with you when speaking of small business practices, I believe that this particular store is well suited to a diverse customer base. Although outside market forces can dramatically affect the business climate it operates in, thankfully it appears that the company has a diverse and robust system in place for servicing the needs of it's varied clientele. With deep capitol resources in place; loss leaders, shrinkage, repair/remodeling and escalating self-insurance costs have little overall affect on the bottom line.

With it's relatively harsh but complete customer education program the company does an excellent job of weeding out undesirables and providing deep rewards for loyal customers. It's promotional program and excellent reward card can turn even moderate customers on to it's system of values and develop marginal leads into loyal paying customers.

In reading the last quarterly report I see that the board of directors noted that it's core customer base is increasing in age and there are aggressive plans in place to attract and build a younger customer base for long term company stability. With a bit of rebranding they seem to feel that it's authentic and off the beaten path image will attract hipsters and other disenfranchised customers of more traditional stores. More importantly millennials who are dissatisfied with their artificial social connections and lack of reality in their lifes will be targeted very aggressively as the board of directors has realized that the company possess the exact products in place already to meet the needs of this growing demographic.

The report closes with an interesting and unique program wherein existing customers can mentor and attract these new target customers. In order to continue long term growth and stability the company plans to offer generous incentives and deep rewards to both existing and new customers who participate in this program. The company feels confident that it's aging, but fiercely loyal customer base can be tapped to help accomplish this goal. It is hoped that with a more diverse customer base the company will be able to weather increasing external market forces that threaten the core products offered and that any short term losses will pay dividends in the long term.

welcome back, JustBill! I always enjoy your posts - and this one is no exception. Thanks for the fresh perspective and encouragement to get out there and keep the adventure going.
    "Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" - Mary Oliver

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++