WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default An old solution to a new problem...

Being a busy boy with exciting ventures looming I haven't been on much, but I've stopped by or read threads when I can. In doing so I note a new problem, or undercurrent in the Long Distance community at large I am curious about.

I note there is a bit of distaste building for the increased popularity, changing experience or even commercialization of the big trails lately. Even the thru-hiking experience seems to be developing a bit of a "been there, done that, not for me" feel. Part of it seems to be growing pains and typical silliness; but part of it I like to think, is a renewed sense of adventure and wanderlust as the traditional off the beaten paths have gotten a bit more beaten in recent years.

I for one find this very exciting.

What AT hiker doesn't admire Shaffer, or mountaineer admire Hillary? The firsts and early pioneers are always admired and emulated, and a short generation or two later thousands upon thousands have followed in their footsteps. So to must it be in our sport, or it must die.

As environmental crisis after crisis looms, and parcel by parcel "protected" lands slip away I hope for and desperately cheer any participation in the outdoors. In any shape, way or form. I hope people line up until permits are issued and quotas are filled. I hope people demand that new areas and trails be opened to them- so that they can have the "thru-hike" experience too.

I am reminded of my first love, sport climbing and it's history. How the sport was limited to a very few select areas, each with local masters and a small community of folks who knew each other. How climbers felt crowded out of their favorite spots, or simply sought a greater challenge at new places. No guides, no beta, no word of mouth, no internet. Just pure adventure.

As bold climber after bold climber went out and put up new routes it spurred awareness of new areas, competition among climbers, and eventually a large group who lobbied for protection, fought to protect, open, and expand land. Sure, some lamented the improved access, technological innovations, and loss of the original spirit of adventure. Some bemoaned the lust for harder and harder grades, the focus on speed climbing or the miniscule world of the boulder climber. But climber by climber and area by area the sport grew. Commercialization followed as companies like The North Face and Patagonia emerged, eventually turning their companies into forces for massive good. The founder of The North Face is the largest private conservator of land on the planet, the founder of Patagonia continues to reinvent how a corporation can be run as a force FOR the land, taking money from wannabees and serving the true customers it sells to, and the land that they use.

If you have found yourself in a rut and bemoaning that your favorite band isn't cool anymore because they got popular then perhaps time for the oldest solution to our new problem.

Do something new, pave the way to new areas, make room for those getting started at the old stomping grounds.
    If you feel that you're ready to move on- then do it!

Take a hike without looking up all the information you can on the internet. Pretend it's not there. Just go. Don't buy the guidebook, don't take the best gear. So what if you get a ticket, your fault for not going far enough away to avoid one. Get a crappy state map at a rest area and call it good enough.

Go to a place that no one has been, inspire others to follow you there.
    Hike faster than ever before, hike in the winter, develop shorter routes, create local trails, be the Gene Espy of some random trail nobodies heard of or cares about, or just pack up 21 days of food and see what happens.

When someone asks advice on how to follow in your footsteps, take a deep breath. Recall you first trips, your first adventures- even if they no longer seem that adventurous- and encourage others to storm the trails en masse. It was once an adventure to you, rest assured it's an adventure for them too. Everyone remembers their first time, their first love.

Yar, I ain't nobody special. Just a liar who wishes a little I could say I'm burned out on the trails, that I've been there and done that.

I go on long trails because I used to take trips like that, where a USGS map, a sketchy spot to park the car, and a vague notion of what lay ahead were the extent of my preparations. Where I carried two days of extra food precisely because I had no idea when I would reach the next town or who had the best pizza when I got there. Or even if I would reach the town at all. Those are my memories, my first trips, the source of my wanderlust. The long trails still fascinate me, call me. But if they don't call you maybe you should seek to travel them free of the burden of information. There is nothing worse to an adventurer than knowing precisely what is around the bend.

The AT was actually one of the first trips I took with a guidebook. It kinda sucked. I sent them home and just kept the maps. I didn't know what was in the next town and I didn't want to. Or I got the beta from my fellow hikers as I went when I felt like asking, sometimes I'd shush my fellow traveler before they could share. Maybe you're more like me, and no grand plans or triple crown lie around the corner for you. Or your vacation is short and a long trail is a safe bet.

Any of us can leave it to chance. Any hike, no matter your resume, experience, or plans can be an adventure.

Don't line up the shuttle, tear out the pages from AWOL's guide, or read every thread about the best way to hike from Harpers to Duncannon. Carry a full 3L of water and let it be a mystery if the trail will provide, or when you come back tell the tale of the time it didn't. Find adventure in the trips you can take. Fill your pack with all the food you can carry and go for it, pretend there is no town, ignore that it takes exactly 4 bars 3 snacks, 2 dinners and 1 lunch because you can get a hot dog here or an ice cream cone there and resupply after 46.35 miles before you take on the next 35.62. Even if you're no Swami, Skurka, Trauma, or Pepper- you can still find adventure on any trail.

And if you are somebody- be somebody.
    Put up a route, help a hiker discover a trail, lead the way to the next spot that others will seek out after they've cut their teeth. And be onto the next before they arrive. Cheer every hiker swarming your favorite trail and rest assured it's now in good hands, your child grew up. Wave goodbye and visit from time to time. Go find the next trail that needs a friend. Be an ambassador for the Earth.

I don't think we have any problems really- only the oldest solution known to man- the curiosity to see what is around the next bend.

Lead the way; even if you have no idea where the hell you're going.

Well said. Thank you!
    Cheers.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

One of my best memories of my hiking learning experience, was when Namie (triple triple crowner) told me to get rid of the guidebooks and just carry the maps.
    Since then, I don't even like trails, I prefer (fairly easy) bushwhacking, or hiking when snow hides the trail.
    And when I'm traveling to a new town, province, country, I don't want to know where everything is. If in need, I like to ask the locals. You often get an interesting (in non-mainstream) answer, that shows off some local culture and customs.

Gives it a nice challenge. (and I certainly don't need the hordes of other hikers who really tend to take away the wilderness experience)
    There's still lots of wilderness and solitude out there. (except in hunting season)

Another wise thing Namie said to me once: Feel free to borrow my tarp for shade, and my snacks, and even my girlfriend: Just don't ever ask me for any of my water!
    I think of this almost every time that I pour water from one bottle to another, careful not to spill a drop.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Journal Entries

Thank you Bill for a great post! And you too Fiddlehead, for making me laugh about Namie's comment.

as always, great trail wisdom from Just Bill ! what u been up to lately Bill? I'm laid up with achilles tendonitis after my latest section hike... arghhhh!!! think I'll take up swimming for a while to get over this

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Being a busy boy with exciting ventures looming I haven't been on much, but I've stopped by or read threads when I can. In doing so I note a new problem, or undercurrent in the Long Distance community at large I am curious about.

I note there is a bit of distaste building for the increased popularity, changing experience or even commercialization of the big trails lately. Even the thru-hiking experience seems to be developing a bit of a "been there, done that, not for me" feel. Part of it seems to be growing pains and typical silliness; but part of it I like to think, is a renewed sense of adventure and wanderlust as the traditional off the beaten paths have gotten a bit more beaten in recent years.

I for one find this very exciting.

What AT hiker doesn't admire Shaffer, or mountaineer admire Hillary? The firsts and early pioneers are always admired and emulated, and a short generation or two later thousands upon thousands have followed in their footsteps. So to must it be in our sport, or it must die.

As environmental crisis after crisis looms, and parcel by parcel "protected" lands slip away I hope for and desperately cheer any participation in the outdoors. In any shape, way or form. I hope people line up until permits are issued and quotas are filled. I hope people demand that new areas and trails be opened to them- so that they can have the "thru-hike" experience too.

I am reminded of my first love, sport climbing and it's history. How the sport was limited to a very few select areas, each with local masters and a small community of folks who knew each other. How climbers felt crowded out of their favorite spots, or simply sought a greater challenge at new places. No guides, no beta, no word of mouth, no internet. Just pure adventure.

As bold climber after bold climber went out and put up new routes it spurred awareness of new areas, competition among climbers, and eventually a large group who lobbied for protection, fought to protect, open, and expand land. Sure, some lamented the improved access, technological innovations, and loss of the original spirit of adventure. Some bemoaned the lust for harder and harder grades, the focus on speed climbing or the miniscule world of the boulder climber. But climber by climber and area by area the sport grew. Commercialization followed as companies like The North Face and Patagonia emerged, eventually turning their companies into forces for massive good. The founder of The North Face is the largest private conservator of land on the planet, the founder of Patagonia continues to reinvent how a corporation can be run as a force FOR the land, taking money from wannabees and serving the true customers it sells to, and the land that they use.

If you have found yourself in a rut and bemoaning that your favorite band isn't cool anymore because they got popular then perhaps time for the oldest solution to our new problem.

Do something new, pave the way to new areas, make room for those getting started at the old stomping grounds.
    If you feel that you're ready to move on- then do it!

Take a hike without looking up all the information you can on the internet. Pretend it's not there. Just go. Don't buy the guidebook, don't take the best gear. So what if you get a ticket, your fault for not going far enough away to avoid one. Get a crappy state map at a rest area and call it good enough.

Go to a place that no one has been, inspire others to follow you there.
    Hike faster than ever before, hike in the winter, develop shorter routes, create local trails, be the Gene Espy of some random trail nobodies heard of or cares about, or just pack up 21 days of food and see what happens.

When someone asks advice on how to follow in your footsteps, take a deep breath. Recall you first trips, your first adventures- even if they no longer seem that adventurous- and encourage others to storm the trails en masse. It was once an adventure to you, rest assured it's an adventure for them too. Everyone remembers their first time, their first love.

Yar, I ain't nobody special. Just a liar who wishes a little I could say I'm burned out on the trails, that I've been there and done that.

I go on long trails because I used to take trips like that, where a USGS map, a sketchy spot to park the car, and a vague notion of what lay ahead were the extent of my preparations. Where I carried two days of extra food precisely because I had no idea when I would reach the next town or who had the best pizza when I got there. Or even if I would reach the town at all. Those are my memories, my first trips, the source of my wanderlust. The long trails still fascinate me, call me. But if they don't call you maybe you should seek to travel them free of the burden of information. There is nothing worse to an adventurer than knowing precisely what is around the bend.

The AT was actually one of the first trips I took with a guidebook. It kinda sucked. I sent them home and just kept the maps. I didn't know what was in the next town and I didn't want to. Or I got the beta from my fellow hikers as I went when I felt like asking, sometimes I'd shush my fellow traveler before they could share. Maybe you're more like me, and no grand plans or triple crown lie around the corner for you. Or your vacation is short and a long trail is a safe bet.

Any of us can leave it to chance. Any hike, no matter your resume, experience, or plans can be an adventure.

Don't line up the shuttle, tear out the pages from AWOL's guide, or read every thread about the best way to hike from Harpers to Duncannon. Carry a full 3L of water and let it be a mystery if the trail will provide, or when you come back tell the tale of the time it didn't. Find adventure in the trips you can take. Fill your pack with all the food you can carry and go for it, pretend there is no town, ignore that it takes exactly 4 bars 3 snacks, 2 dinners and 1 lunch because you can get a hot dog here or an ice cream cone there and resupply after 46.35 miles before you take on the next 35.62. Even if you're no Swami, Skurka, Trauma, or Pepper- you can still find adventure on any trail.

And if you are somebody- be somebody.
    Put up a route, help a hiker discover a trail, lead the way to the next spot that others will seek out after they've cut their teeth. And be onto the next before they arrive. Cheer every hiker swarming your favorite trail and rest assured it's now in good hands, your child grew up. Wave goodbye and visit from time to time. Go find the next trail that needs a friend. Be an ambassador for the Earth.

I don't think we have any problems really- only the oldest solution known to man- the curiosity to see what is around the next bend.

Lead the way; even if you have no idea where the hell you're going.
    I sorted through all this mumbling and your question is what? why do you have such long post but don't make any since with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    I sorted through all this mumbling and your question is what? why do you have such long post but don't make any since with it.
    I think he's explaining why he never completes a long distance hike?

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Just Bill thank you for your post! Here is my long post that I'm sure will not make any sense...I for one greatly appreciate your insight!! I am new to long distance hiking. I have wanted to thru hike the AT for many years and have been planning and preparing to do so for the past 2 years. I start my adventure next year and am very excited to do so. Many times I have been disappointed by some of the comments made on WB. These negative comments usually have some of the same people attached to them but none the less it is sad to read such nasty comments and the nasty attitudes of others because someone else is interested in long distance hiking and/or the Appalachian Trail in particular. It comes off very possessive, as though they have the only right to be out there! Instead of helping others they degrade and belittle. Maybe it makes them feel better about themselves? I don't know but it usually leaves me scratching my head! I almost deleted my account here as it was extremely prevalent and was bringing me down! I guess I believe in letting others live their own lives. If I am asked for help, I try to be helpful and am aware that we all have our own path to follow! If I come a cross a post I don't agree with or like, I just move on. No need to give a negative response and bring someone down. What's the point?? I guess some people feel different as their posts are NOT meant to be helpful but to rather belittle and stand above another!
    Your post made perfect sense to me...thank you for saying what I was thinking!

Life is full of ups and downs! Hike on!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RED-DOG View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by WingedMonkey View Post
    I think he's explaining why he never completes a long distance hike?

Just curious, what have you guys been up to since the muppet show got canceled?

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Very nice, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post

I remember that one "The Pup Tent Boys Lement"

clearly this his is one of those times Mother warned me about, "if ya don't have anything nice to say"

never listem stem to Mom much anyway, Mama tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    as always, great trail wisdom from Just Bill ! what u been up to lately Bill? I'm laid up with achilles tendonitis after my latest section hike... arghhhh!!! think I'll take up swimming for a while to get over this
    Hiya Mike!
    Maybe this is a season to take up some paddling? The everglades is a trip always on my mind. Or if like me you can't get the Northwoods off your brain, Boundary Waters or a paddle down the Penobscot maybe a way to heal up and still get your fix. There's a reason many aquablaze the Shennies, paddlin is pretty fun! Maybe put down the poles for a bit and pick up a paddle?

As fer me- when last we met I had just had a warm IPA and was a heading up towards Whiteface. I broke my toe that very evening and my last long trail on the Long Trail no less, turned out a bit differently than planned.

As an epilogue to that tale previously shared- while sitting at the bus station on my way home my wife called me to inform me that someone had impregnated her. So now I have this filthy monster crawling around and turning one at the end of the month. Our twosome is a foursome and that's the way it will stay.
    alana.jpg

My wife had a tough time with this pregnancy, we got through it, I published a crappy book, we're working on minimizing our life and expenses to maximize our time as a family. To that end I am working on starting a business whose primary goal is to pay a minimal salary to support our family but otherwise not make any money and give the profits back to the earth.

I have a day job and take care of my family.
    I don't hike much and I'm getting fat- other than that- life is pretty awesome.

Never watched it so no idea when it was canceled.

I might have been reading some of your old threads about "the thru-hiker" experience.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

spending too much time on WB it's just like the muppet show.

Hiya Mike!
    Maybe this is a season to take up some paddling? The everglades is a trip always on my mind. Or if like me you can't get the Northwoods off your brain, Boundary Waters or a paddle down the Penobscot maybe a way to heal up and still get your fix. There's a reason many aquablaze the Shennies, paddlin is pretty fun! Maybe put down the poles for a bit and pick up a paddle?

As fer me- when last we met I had just had a warm IPA and was a heading up towards Whiteface. I broke my toe that very evening and my last long trail on the Long Trail no less, turned out a bit differently than planned.

As an epilogue to that tale previously shared- while sitting at the bus station on my way home my wife called me to inform me that someone had impregnated her. So now I have this filthy monster crawling around and turning one at the end of the month. Our twosome is a foursome and that's the way it will stay.
    alana.jpg

My wife had a tough time with this pregnancy, we got through it, I published a crappy book, we're working on minimizing our life and expenses to maximize our time as a family. To that end I am working on starting a business whose primary goal is to pay a minimal salary to support our family but otherwise not make any money and give the profits back to the earth.

How adorable! Alana? I remember suggesting "Alan" if it was a boy. Excellent choice.

Yar, Alana Avery Townsend.

Although I'd thought it'd be fun to have a little AT hanging around the house; Mainly my wife's choice, she originally proposed Avery without even knowing about old Myron. And as HB pointed out- nobody wants a girl named Myron. So Alana it is.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Hiya Mike!

alana.jpg

Hey Bill, I'm in the middle of reading that crappy book and so far I am thoroughly enjoying it! Well done.

I'd tell you what page number I'm on, but I was never very good at counting.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Never watched it so no idea when it was canceled.
    You never watched it? Well that takes all the fun out of the reference. The two old guys are Statler and Waldorf, two snarky but loveable old grumps that sat in the balcony and poked fun at the show. I really do mean it in good humor.

I might have been reading some of your old threads about "the thru-hiker" experience.
    You're still reading my old comments? I feel honored.

As far as the ""the thru-hiker" experience" I am fairly upfront about the fact that I am a Section hiker and I make no claims to have attempted a thru. I can't imagine that I would have given thru hiking advise unless I was drinking...so just avoid any of my comments that were posted after 11:00PM on a weekend.

Hey Bill, I'm in the middle of reading that crappy book and so far I am thoroughly enjoying it! Well done.

I'd tell you what page number I'm on, but I was never very good at counting.
    "Page numbers are a social construction created by an urban society that doesn't appreciate the wilderness."
    Liz "Snorkel" Thomas

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

"Page numbers are a social construction created by an urban society that doesn't appreciate the wilderness."
    Liz "Snorkel" Thomas
    Yeah, but she said that AFTER you published the book.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++