WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

What's to stop you from coming back to finish after Christmas if you don't make it? For example, let's say you make it to Fontana dam and have to bail out, fly to new york, celebrate the holidays, fly back and finish. On my thru I took a week off to go celebrate the 4th of July in Rhode island with a friend I met hiking and his family. I thought it was all just part of the adventure.

I would say 4 months is doable especially at your age and if in shape. The issue I would look more into are the accommodations that won't be open farther south. I also think some water sources are not going to be readily available. Not being an "experienced" hiker or backpacker may hinder you but you can learn quickly. If anything go as far as you can.

Images

All you really need is a strong desire to complete the trail - which you say you have. I wasn't an elite hiker to start the trail, but I started with a pack base weight below 12 lbs including everything I needed to be comfortable, and I hiked as far as I could each day. Granted, I kept the mileage below 15 mpd north of Vermont to reduce the chance of injury. Down south you have your legs under you and you can make up a remarkable amount of time. I didn't listen to anybody when I made up my mind to start hiking August 19th. You probably shouldn't either...

Quote Originally Posted by vic_doom69 View Post
    What's to stop you from coming back to finish after Christmas if you don't make it? For example, let's say you make it to Fontana dam and have to bail out, fly to new york, celebrate the holidays, fly back and finish. On my thru I took a week off to go celebrate the 4th of July in Rhode island with a friend I met hiking and his family. I thought it was all just part of the adventure.
    Wouldn't that be a really big expense? It is worth considering, though, definately.

Quote Originally Posted by Honuben View Post
    I would say 4 months is doable especially at your age and if in shape. The issue I would look more into are the accommodations that won't be open farther south. I also think some water sources are not going to be readily available. Not being an "experienced" hiker or backpacker may hinder you but you can learn quickly. If anything go as far as you can.
    Ice and snow can be boiled for water, I should be fine in that regard.
    The shelters will always be open, but is there a chance that hostels, hotels and equipment stores might not be open? If that is the case, I will read up on tenting in below freezing environments, and thoroughly plan resupply pickups from home.
    Or am I being naive?

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    NYC and NOBO through VT, NH, ME after Christmas??? OP has some experience, but not THAT kind from what he said, nor would I imagine Arctic conditions are what he's looking for. SOBO to wherever he gets is the best plan.
    agreed...just answering how i would do it
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by The Solemates View Post
    agreed...just answering how i would do it
    Yeah, that isn't really what I am looking to do, but thanks for the input.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++