WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Hellen Georgia

Default Hellen Georgia

Is Hellen a close town from AT to reach or not worth it

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by REB View Post
    Is Hellen a close town from AT to reach or not worth it
    Helen is a cool little faux bavarian tourist town. Its a tourist destination in north GA. Its about 11 miles or so if I remember, definitely worth it if you catch a ride and need a break. But for most NOBO hikers that take a break at Neel Gap, its too close to hit Helen too. They will usually take their next break at Hiawasee. If you need it Helen will work.

Theres a big river tubing operation there. That would be good to do for a day off in summer hiking.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-16-2015 at 18:02.

Took a nero there in 2013. Stayed at the EconoLodge. The church next door was doing breakfasts for hikers that week. The Chamber of Commerce had maps and info. Decent restaurants, I ate at a Mexican restaurant, food was good and inexpensive and service was attentive. There is a Dollar store that is well stocked for resupply. Quick visit to the PO to send a postcard to Mom. Fairly easy hitches into and out of town.
    Trillium

Helen is a tourist trap. If you like that kind of thing by all means head on over. If hiking in the fall during Octoberfest it is definitely worth a visit. Otherwise, from a timing standpoint for most going there is not necessary. Better hiker services and prices at Hiawassee.

the Quick-Guide to the best "tourist trap" trail towns along the AT in the southeast:

1. Gatlinburg, TN: hitch in from Newfound Gap, walk amongst tourists walking about in their flip-flops with dripping ice cream cones.... hear them asking for your autograph, you will commonly get the questions: "are you a Thru-Hiker?" ... "can we take your picture?".... "can we get your autograph?" Play Hillbilly Golf, try some Smoky Mountain Pancakes, Smoky Mountain fudge, Smoky Mountain candy corn, Smoky Mountain cotton candy. Try the local beer and burgers at the biker bar. Checkout Ripleys Believe it or Not. Take the tram up to Ober Gatlinburg and try the indoor ice skating. Don't inhale, the CO from the bumper to bumper traffic along the main street will be a shock after breathing that clean mountain air. If you have time, take a taxi out to Pigeon Forge, catch the comedy act at the "Comedy Barn", and ride the coasters at Dollywood Amusement Park. You'll quickly forget about the AT hike and want to spoil yourself in Gatlinburg.

2. Helen, GA: a quaint Bavarian tourist town, complete with "authentic" German food, Oom-pah bands, Oktoberfest, lots of German beer, smell fresh Kielbasa. The atmosphere in Helen will have you yodeling at passing cars in no time. AT hiker caution: don't be tempted by those German frauleins walking about Helen in their sexy, busty Edelweis Lederhosen! They love AT hikers! You might not get back to the trail

hope that helps

Images

G'burg post from Praha4 above: one reason hikers run out of money. Take a zero - I did - get back on the Trail. The "tourist" stuff is garbage in my opinion. Hourly cheap shuttle helped - laundromat was VERY far out, but next to a $$ Store and subway, so all was not lost. I believe the Cherokee Transit bus doesn't run through there any more - may want to look it up for sure. Was $5 to get back to the Trail in 2012.

Helen: Pretty much shut down in March when I was there for a zero - hurt foot. Had a moderate shuttle to the Trail and back. Looks like a smaller version of G'burg. Had a nice country store up the road a bit, if I recall correctly.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

I liked it. I forget the name of the general store off hand (maybe someone remembers) that will give you a ride to the trailhead in the morning if you arrange it the night before.

The road from trail to town is a dangerous walk I would not suggest. The hitch wasn't too bad.

The Troll was a nice bar/restaurant along the river. It's a tourist trap, but not as overwhelmingly so as Gatlinburg. It's about the right size and pretty nice for a day off.

I like Helen. I stayed two nights there on my 2013 thru-hike. I shuttled in from Hogpen Gap, got a room at the Best Western, and then slack packed from Hogpen to Unicoi Gap the next day. I then stayed a second night. Hitching from Unicoi is usually pretty easy. The owner of the Best Western even provided a free shuttle back to the trail the following morning. All you can eat breakfast bar is very good as well.

I've lived in GA for 10 years, maybe we should check it out one day.

Betty's is the name of the general store. Last year they offered shuttle service.

++ New Posts ++