Hello hikers! First post, glad to be a part of the community.

I have scouted through many threads on this topic, and created a topic on /r/AppalachianTrail, but I would like to establish certainty in this, rather than set myself an unrealistic goal.
I am from Denmark, and I have been in love with the idea of thru-hiking the A.T. for six months or so. I am done with school this summer, and after reading AWOL's 2003 novel,
I have to agree with him that no time is going to be perfect to pause your career for 4-6 months. However, given that this is a transition, I figure that now is the best time - And I am
excited.

I initially planned to be part of class 2016, starting in February. A very traditional approach. However, due to certain coming events in my life, I would rather do it now. Now, as in, RIGHT now -
2015. So I have been looking into SOBOing, which brings us to this single obstacle that is yet still preventing me from dedicating 100% of my time to preparing for the hike:

Will I be home in time for Christmas?

I can start no sooner than August 9. I am not an experienced hiker, but I have outdoorsman experience (pitching tents, starting campfires, going no. 2 in the woods), and I am good shape.
I am 25 years old, and if life has helped me learn one thing about myself, it is this: I finish what I start. The only reason I have to be through by Christmas is that my family
plans a Christmas/skiing/New Year’s Eve vacation, of which I simply cannot miss. We will be hosted by my sister, in New York City, so the date at which I must be in New York City is, at latest, December 25.

I have gotten a few positive replies on my reddit post, telling me I am good, as long as I put in the miles, but from reading 2k miler listings, and from general forum posts from other late-SOBO
hikers, I might not be through before February.