WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Where's Everyone At??

Quote Originally Posted by Bombadil View Post
    My family and I would like to do some trail magic mixed with 4-5 days of hiking, somewhere between Kent, Conn. and Hanover, NH. How far is the northernmost NOBO? Is it "twisted" or "J" somewhere in New York? Or has someone already reached Connecticut?

Thanks!
    I just spent a week on the trail in that section, from the NY/CT border to Great Barrington.

There are quite a few hikers (20-30 I was told) through CT, and apparently someone named OrangeCrush who is already through the Whites.

Spent the night at the Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine and met up with a thru hiker named Ironman. He'd be in northern MA by now.

Here in CT I saw perhaps a dozen thru-hikers this past weekend while doing an overnight with some scouts. (And yes we kept the group to 10, and stayed at a group site).

Chatted briefly with "Red Swagger", "Frost" (who started in Feb!), and also a flip-flopper "Danger" who stayed at the shelter next to us.

It was a great weekend of hiking!

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I just spent a week on the trail in that section, from the NY/CT border to Great Barrington.

There are quite a few hikers (20-30 I was told) through CT, and apparently someone named OrangeCrush who is already through the Whites.

Spent the night at the Bearded Woods Bunk and Dine and met up with a thru hiker named Ironman. He'd be in northern MA by now.
    Orange Crush was the first to finish this year and hit Katahdin last week. He's taking on the PCT in just a few weeks!
    http://jevinh.weebly.com/

Journal Entries

yeah, Lady Thru Hiker. You should be ashamed, bad grammar. where your teacher at.

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    A preposition is not a very good word to end a sentence with. PERIOD. And the original poster is 57 years old, so apparently they haven't been teaching this for a very long time.
    Ending a sentence with a preposition isn't such a bad thing....

https://www.google.com/search?q=shou...m=119&ie=UTF-8

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    Ending a sentence with a preposition isn't such a bad thing....

https://www.google.com/search?q=shou...m=119&ie=UTF-8
    Heck, it's what Pennsylvanians are *known* for.

Quote Originally Posted by bemental View Post
    I'm tracking a friend via an Delorme inReach who's currently just North of Waynesboro atop Trayfoot Mountain.

Left second week in March.
    Bemental,
    How is the delorme inreach performing? Is it the explore? I am looking into getting one for the trail to ease some family's anxieties and saw some reviews that said it was difficult if not impossible to get out a signal with tree cover. Have you or your friend encountered these problems? Is there anything else I should be aware of before I purchase it?
    I also saw you're SOBO early July. Maybe I'll see you out there. I'm SOBO mid july.
    Happy Trails

I knocked out a few sections of the Pacific Northwest "Trail".

Next: I decided on a hike-and-bike for the roadwalks.

In the comfort of a chair recliner, I am reading at the forum and making a few posts.

Images

While on my Mass/CT section hike last week I met Laugh Track, Deerdog, Ridge Rambler, Swift Walk, Safety Patrol (3 guys) and Happy Feet. There were some more but I don't remember their names.
    Happy Lifetime Sectioner!

Registered User 2015 Lady Thru-Hiker's Avatar
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HighLiner View Post
    Hey, aren't you HighLighter? We met in one of the Smokies Shelters and talked about Aleave (spell). Good luck to you and your journey. I wish I was out there.
    Hey HighLiner! Yes, I remember you Didn't get to finish this time around Developed a foot stress fracture that started in PA and finally took me off the trail in Unionville NY. Rested my foot for a week and jumped forward to Katadhin with thoughts to summit and head south to finish but didn't make it all the way up the first time. Rested for two more weeks and summited Sept 4th (yay!!) but then blew both my knees on the way back down Still struggling a bit with both but they are getting better. Will figure out what I can do to keep it from getting so out of hand and try again - probably in 2 - 3 years with thoughts to do some shorter stuff in the meanwhile.

Hope you had a good summer of hiking
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Astro View Post
    Good question, but I guess they are all too busying doing real hiking to do any any cyberhiking on WB. Wish the OP well on the rest of her thru-hike. Go slow and I might catch up with you in last half of VA at the end of June.

FWIW, I think grammar is way overrated.
    How did your hike go Astro? I was in Luray VA on July 4th. Made it to Harper's Ferry around the 11th, I think. I was definitely going slow. You probably actually passed me somewhere along the way.
    ““Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees....” ― John Muir

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Studlintsean View Post
    I picked my little brother up at Swift Run Gap Friday for a weekend of canoeing on the Shenandoah. He was dropped back off at Swift Run Gap yesterday. He said the large bubble is still a bit south but he is having an awesome hike. He started March 6.
    How did your little brother's hike go? What was his trail name? Wish I had been able to start in March like I originally planned. The heat and humidity were brutal at times. Finish or not, the trail is an amazing experience.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    A preposition is not a very good word to end a sentence with. PERIOD. And the original poster is 57 years old, so apparently they haven't been teaching this for a very long time.
    Ending sentences with prepositions in a shortcoming of mine. Been doing it my whole life. But, the way I figure it, I'm 57 years old and was able to quit my job to try to fulfill my dream of hiking the AT. Guess I'm not doing too bad, despite my flaws

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mcgrabo View Post
    yeah, Lady Thru Hiker. You should be ashamed, bad grammar. where your teacher at.
    Somewhere hanging her head in shame that she couldn't help me understand not to end sentences with prepositions I am certain!!

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    QUICK COMMENT: I am NOT criticizing anyone! This is just a response to theoilman! (I married a guy whose grammar is, well, let's say - it is not very good; however, out of respect for him and his other wonderful attributes, I would never correct him. I do, however, correct my children.)

We are teaching it, but they are not necessarily using it. Just ask anyone, "how are you doing," and the majority will answer "good" instead of "well." (I am always happy to hear they aren't being naughty...lol!)

Another frequent question: "Can" I go to the bathroom? (I don't know - can you?).... Can = ability; May = request for permission.
    Using "good" versus "well" and "can" versus "may" were pet peeves of my dad. You will always hear me respond "I am doing very well, thank you." and "May I please be forgiven for using prepositions at the end of a sentence?" So, 2 out of 3 ain"t bad

Journal Entries

Default why not just stick to the subject...everyone likes to point out other peoples mistake

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    They are right behind the "At."

It is bad grammar to end a sentence with a preposition. A preposition requires an object. I find it hard to believe that schools today are not teaching grammar.
    I've seen so much of this pointing out someone bad use the English language or incorrect something.. It is so hard to give a dam isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    What qualifies someone as an "armchair hiker?"

haha I had to laugh!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++