WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default How do you pack your backpack for air travel?

Do you check your backpack? Carry it on? If you check it, do you pack it in a separate bag? What do you do with that bag when you arrive and what do you do on the way home? June section hiker trying to nail down the tiny details. Thanks for any advice!

I broke mine down and packed it in a cardboard box and checked it. I was just too worried about a strap getting stuck in a pulley or some other odd ball thing that could only happen to me. As far as carrying on, I just didn't want to deal with them having to go through everything, plus didn't want to buy a new mini knife in Georgia.

We've used cheaply priced duffel bags we get at the Army surplus store and stash them in the motel or hostel we usually start at. They're lockable and the broken down outfit fits easily inside with room for town clothes if needed. Use a Sharpie to write your name and contact info on the outside, duffle bags attract little attention unlike expensive backpacks.
    "every day's a holiday, every meal a feast"

You could always wrap it in that cling wrap that people wrap their luggage in to protect it. Cocoon it right up and you should be GTG, no worries about hanging straps or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    I broke mine down and packed it in a cardboard box and checked it. I was just too worried about a strap getting stuck in a pulley or some other odd ball thing that could only happen to me. As far as carrying on, I just didn't want to deal with them having to go through everything, plus didn't want to buy a new mini knife in Georgia.
    this is what I decided on for my sept jmt thru...I'm mailing in advance as I change planes a few times....no extra time for lost bag....plan to check for return trip in box..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

On occasion I have gone to the local thrift shop and bought a suitcase for a few dollars, packed what I needed inside of it and then promptly donated it to another thrift shop when I reached my destination.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Large heavy canvas green army surplus duffel bag.

Packed it and contents in cheap duffle bag.

Wrapped with clear wrap but TSA cut open for inspection once.

Currently using Deuter ACT Traveler backpack that has a built in cover that comes out to cover straps.

Osprey Airporter bag.

Thanks for all the great suggestions!

How do you get the bag back after a section hike to get your bag home intact? Do you just buy another or mail one to your final destination?

Journal Entries

Ive packed my pack in a small duffel, 12" x 24" works for me. With the stuff not in it, so that if they decide to inspect it , they dont have a hard time possibly causing it to miss a connection.
    I wrap my hiking poles in my CCF that goes under my legs, and put them in the bottom, lay pack on top, then pack the stuff on top of that.

Mail the bag to your destination for the flight home, if you have one.
    or give it away
    or trash it
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-16-2015 at 18:33.

Haven't personally tried it- but a decent alternative tip...
    Turn the pack inside out- hipbelt and straps will then be secure and unlikely to get stuck, snagged, etc.

Gscout- one option on the duffel if you are on a section hike is to mail drop it to the P.O. at the end of the section so you have it for the return flight.

Images

Doing the Whites in August and that's what we are doing. Mailing duffel bag from Lincoln to Gorham to pick up there.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Shipping ahead is what I will usually do, having the pack held at a UPS Store or hotel I am scheduled into. Wrapping it in plastic won't help much if TSA wants to see inside, the wrapping is cut and the bag is now opened for anyone to poke around in or straps that can snag. The best idea I have seen is to get an inexpensive duffel bag and use that to put the pack and gear into, and check it through.

Quote Originally Posted by hikernutcasey View Post
    Doing the Whites in August and that's what we are doing. Mailing duffel bag from Lincoln to Gorham to pick up there.
    Assume u put duffel in box to mail ahead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the reasons that I use the airporter is that it's not bulky or heavy. It's under a pound, which expands my options. Depending on the situation it can be mailed ahead or simply carried along. Ideally I don't carry that extra 14 ounces for my whole hike, but sometimes that's the best solution.

Journal Entries

We put our packs in duffel bags. On one occasion I had spoken with the hotel in advance to see if we could leave the duffels there, they said yes, but then wouldn't allow it (said it was a security problem), so we had to carry them on that section.

Journal Entries

I asked similar question recently. You may want to take a look at that thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1966721

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    I asked similar question recently. You may want to take a look at that thread: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/show...=1#post1966721
    Thank you! I looked around quite a bit using search and couldn't find a similar thread. Thanks for sharing!

++ New Posts ++