WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Schaghticoke Mountain Campsite

I spent the night in my hammock here on May 4. The tent-sites are looking a little over-used, but everything appeared to be in good order.

I shot a short video tour:

--Peter

Anyone know the water status at this site?

Images

Tom, you know I haven't been up there super-recently, but I'll bet given the size and strength of the nearby stream, it will be one of the last to go this fall.

Jane

p.s. Had your LL Bean tent down on the Blue Ridge Parkway last week in a mega-heavy rainstorm and it held up perfectly!

Glad to hear that tent is treating you well, it was always good to me.

After last weekend seeing a lot of reliable water source dried up, you never can be too careful.

I've not been there recently, however some if not most of the small brooks in the area are dry, so its probably best to water up where you see it. The stream by this camping area is reportedly "dependable" so take it for what its worth at the end of a rather dry summer. There was a recent rain of an inch or so this past week, which may provide some recharging and/or increased flow.

Went and cleaned up Schagticoke campsite today (9/23/15). The only water at that site is a pool (with no flow in or out but lots of frogs) located about 1/4 of the way up from the AT junction to the campsite. No other water available in the area. A SOBO hiker I met said that there was water, but not a lot, in Thayer Brook and at the Mt. Algo shelter.
    Jim Liptack
    CT-AMC Overseer of Trails

Quote Originally Posted by pnyberg View Post
    I spent the night in my hammock here on May 4. The tent-sites are looking a little over-used, but everything appeared to be in good order.

I shot a short video tour:

--Peter
    I am from MI and did a section hike with some boys from our BSA troop in July and this was where our first night on the trail was spent. This was the second week of July 2016 and we filtered water from standing pools from the creek in your video. it was still cool so it hadn't been stagnent for too long.

++ New Posts ++