WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default What gear do you become loyal/attached to?

The thread about BV500s and which pack to use got me thinking. What gear do you feel an unexplained attachment to?

I know I change out tents/tarps regularly, without any sentimental attachment. Same goes with stoves/cookware. I haven't felt a real affinity for my stove or cook kit since I gave up the SVEA and Sigg Tourister Cook Kit after decades of use.

I have a couple of good sleeping bags from Western Mountaineering that I always use, depending on expected temps. I expect I am becoming somewhat attached to them, I see no reason to consider change.

I seem to be sold on ULA, the P2 and now the Ohm 2. Again, this is due to me finding no real reason to consider others. It is nothing like the old attachment I had to my old Kelty however. I still get nostalgic when I slip that on.

How about you?

Are the days of this gear loyalty past?
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-17-2015 at 13:25.

700ml SmartWater bottles.

They're light, never broke one, they just have the best shape, and the 700ml bottles are perfect height for carrying on my shoulder straps when I have to carry a lot of water.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Images

Pack:
    Used to be my JanSport Alaska tall. Too heavy - 7 (?) pounds. Hanging in the garage.

Then my JanSport Klamath 75 . That one fell apart (cosmetic delamination, etc.), so I got a new one under the warranty. Don't like it as well, as they changed the structure of the pockets, etc. The load lifter strap has broken TWICE in about 4 months of practice.

Now: Osprey Volt 75 - so far, absolutely love the way it fits and feels. The stretch mesh pockets are a bit worrisome, but with the guarantee, I'm not too worried about it. Everything seems to fit so far.

Tent:

Was my Clark hammock, but it was too hard to get up and stay dry in the cold, rainy, windy mornings, even with the XL fly.

ALPS Zephyr 1 - best tent I've ever used on a long hike - bit heavy, but pretty roomy for me and my gear.

Now: LightHeart Gear SoLong 6. Best tent I've ever had to date. Don't see any reason to change so far.

Boots:

Timberland Chocorua boots - waterproof, long lasting, fit perfectly out of the box without breaking in (for me, at least).

Not much else - I'm happy with the rest of what I have without changing. Don't want to waste any more money on more gear.
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Zebra light head lamp.....montbell ul down parka.....patagoochie cap 4 hoody

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Presently, ULA (Catalyst) & JRB (Nest).

As always, from Alaska to Alabama, Arizona to the Adirondacks, my late 60's Svea has been my constant, loyal companion in the wilds. The rest of my gear is just stuff.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

My lucky titanium spoon. It goes on every hike I'm out overnight - from my first to my last.

Journal Entries

Shoes.
    Everything else doesnt matter.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I would say my shoes, but I finally destroyed them last year and they haven't make them in years.

I'm usually attached to my oldest piece of gear, right now it's my old z-rest foam pad. I've had it since '08 and I have not idea how it has managed to stand up to the abuse I've put it through.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

GAME 06

Every time I find a piece of gear I think is perfect it wears out and they don't make it any more. So, nope, no favorites

Notch tent and Granite Gear Crown 60 pack.

My shirt. Especially when the path is steep and the weather is hot and humid.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I'm not particularly attached to any particular piece of gear. I swap gear in and out of my pack depending on the trail, season and duration of my hike. I like several pieces of my gear, but their utility is situation specific.

-I like my Primaloft jacket, but don't much need it in New England in July
    -I like my Cat Stove, but don't like to use it when it's dry out west
    -I like my 0-degree bag, but not so much in the summer
    -I like my headlamp, but it's hardly worth the trouble to carry it during June/July

Okay, I guess that makes me a gear ****, because I have no loyalty to any particular piece....

Images

In 1980 I bought a pair of Peter Limmer and Sons custom leather boots in Intervale, NH. After three re-solings by the Limmer boys, they are still serviceable but due to their weight I only use them now for trail work. When I bought them they were $160 Today a new pair of customs go for over $600. They hiked with me all over the world and never let me down.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

I get foolishly attached to certain pieces of gear, for no good reason. My Western Mountaineering Megalite is ten years old and has kept me warm and comfortable many nights - still going strong. Their light down parka is pretty sweet, too -- I saved up for a couple of years to get it, and I've used it all over the trail in all season except the dead of winter. Pure sentimentality, nothing more.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Journal Entries
    Images

My Camillus demo knife. It's been with me on all my adventures/misadventures for 42 years now.
    76 HawkMtn w/Rangers
    14 LHHT
    15 Girard/Quebec/LostTurkey/Saylor/Tuscarora/BlackForest
    16 Kennerdell/Cranberry-Otter/DollyS/WRim-NCT
    17 BearR
    18-19,22 AT NOBO 1562.2
    22 Hadrian's Wall
    23 Cotswold Way

Images

WM Caribou sleeping bag, Gerber LST knife , and a P-38 can opener (yeah, honestly only used a few times, but . . .).
    Everything else can be changed out.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 05-17-2015 at 21:35.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Hat, and hiking stick.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I'm usually attached to my oldest piece of gear, right now it's my old z-rest foam pad. I've had it since '08 and I have not idea how it has managed to stand up to the abuse I've put it through.
    You're surely right about the abuse! Especially when you were carrying it outside your pack in the Neversink Valley, where the spruce was making trail confetti out of everything. I had to replace the compression cords on my pack after that trip.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Images

US Army or military...... they have the best quality assurance
    Green One Each

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++