WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Take rain jacket or not

I will be hiking from Damascus SOBO to Sam's Gap June 1 - 9. Do you think I should take my rain jacket?

I will be carrying a Patagonia Houdini for wind.

absolutely bring some sort of rain jacket!

Images

You'll be crossing some high mountains, and the late afternoon thunderstorms can get pretty chilly. I would certainly take my rain shell.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Worst case setup = rain jacket + wind breaker + pack cover. Best setup = Packa. One item for all 3 needs.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I'd skip the rain jacket that time of year on that section of the trail.

Depends on how you feel about getting drenched if it rains like the dickens on you. If you're ok dealing with the wet and possible cold afterwards, then you may not need the rain jacket.

*I* carry one, even when I think it isn't going to rain.

Images

In 2013 I hiked that section about that time of year. I needed my raingear for the daily showers and my umbrella worked real good for the dime sized hail!

Quote Originally Posted by Hot5nics View Post
    I will be hiking from Damascus SOBO to Sam's Gap June 1 - 9. Do you think I should take my rain jacket?
    Yes. You should.

Garlic
    Images

Another "yes" vote.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Bringing rain gear is prudent.

Journal Entries

you should take something.
    Id at least always take a light disposable poncho, even for a good forecast.

Images

With average highs in the high-70s and lows in the low-50s at that time of year, and potential for hypothermia in cold wet conditions I'd certainly have a rain jacket.
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Journal Entries

If you know how to avoid hypothermia without one, then it's up to you. Otherwise, that's what rainjackets are for.

If you feel confident about hiking without a rain jacket, go for it. I would still stash one of those 99 cent disposable ponchos in my pack if I were you.

Images

I learned my lesson many years ago in New Mexico in July. Hiking shirtless during a light rain at Philmont. Luckily, I was in a group and one of the other adults noted that I seemed to be stumbling and weaving on the trail. Said something to me, so I put on a shirt and rain jacket, soon the problem was solved. That wake-up call caused us to find a spot, set up a dining tarp, and make sure all the scouts were warm enough and got some warm drinks into everyone. It also sold the adult in charge of the trip on white gas stoves - they had always depended on open fire cooking until that day when they had difficulty starting a fire and my stove provided all the warm drinks. The next trip to Philmont included white gas stoves for the group.

During this entire incident, I did not feel cold or even uncomfortable, but I was becoming hypothermic. It is a condition that can sneak up on you in conditions where you would not expect it to be a problem. I did not, on my own, realize that I was being affected, and could have continued the downward spiral if someone else hadn't intervened. I am now much more careful with warm weather, rain, and stiff breezes.

My vote - take a rain jacket and use it, even if you think you do not need to. Yes I still sometimes hike uncovered in the rain, but I am much more careful about it, and usually cover up if there is a breeze.
    Last edited by Lyle; 05-19-2015 at 07:27.

I bring a rain jacket in summer. Rain accompanied by a cold front and some wind can chill ya to the bone pretty quick on a 90 degree day. It's pretty well accepted the jacket keeps you warm, you'll still be wet if exerting yourself from activities like hiking.

Images

Always bring some sort of rain wear. A frequent weather pattern in that area is warm and muggy morning, followed by day getting hotter and muggier, then uh oh, thundershower. The rainstorm may only last for 45 minutes, but if you don't have some sort of protection from the rain, you will be drenched. The temperature drops, you're soaking wet, and you're probably very uncomfortable, and possibly in trouble.

Depending on the long-term forecast, a capacious poncho can be a good choice. It will keep your pack dry, too. It can be wrapped around you for warmth, but can be a lot better-ventilated than a jacket if you are hiking in a downpour. Can also double as an awning for cooking and keeping your tent a bit drier if there's a prolonged rainstorm.

The mountains around Sam's Gap are high enough that early June is still spring, not really full summer yet. It can get cool, is often wet, and can be very windy.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Default Take rain jacket or not

If anything, I take a rain jacket and leave the 'wind breaker' at home. If it stops the rain, it'll break wind (so to speak . Multi-use, one less thing to carry.
    Last edited by bemental; 05-19-2015 at 12:17.

Why does it take 17 posts to state the obvious?

The southern Appalachian Mountains support a real temperate rain forest.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++