WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: PCT- Joey Camps

https://instagram.com/p/4UH20BJe-0/?taken-by=joey.camps
    Some updates through 6/21- at mile 1553. Looks like he followed the heel blister with some solid days.
    Linear pace- (147) down on overall.

23 miles up on the unsupported record!

GAME 06

It will be interesting to see how the next 2 weeks go as his timing is just right to put him into the worst places to be with the huge heat wave hitting that part of the country. The highs in the areas he will be going through right now are as high as 108 F (Seiad, CA tomorrow), Siskiyou 102. Going to be a tough slog until he gets back to high elevation near Crater Lake.

He's going to need some extra socks.

Otherwise I hope there's a full moon.

GAME 06

According to his Instagram account he hit the CA/OR border at 11:06 pm on the 24th. Mile 1699. He looks DIRTY! lol

LOL, Yar. Having some foot problems unfortunately, but hopefully he can work through them. https://instagram.com/p/4fQ_ISpe5c/?taken-by=joey.camps

The good news- he has some time to spare, especially considering his ability to hit 50 when needed. As of the day he hit the border-
    Near as I can tell, he was 138 miles past Anish's actual mileage at the end of her day 37.
    Anish crossed the border early on her day 41, putting Joey three calendar days ahead.
    So if he needs a nero or zero (or just some rest day levels of mileage he has a little room.

For some perspective (THANKS MALTO) Bink and Krud's hike- They averaged 41.7 MPD after California.
    Joey would need to average 42 MPD to finish at the end of calendar day 60 (Clock day 59). Which would give him about 1.75 days worth of cushion on the un-supported record.

So while "take it easy" is certainly inaccurate... he has some time to care for his injury.
    Much like on the AT, a day off (this time from the heat) may do wonders for him and allow him to finish.
    So stay calm fella and be smart!

I tracked down most of Anish's hike via the thread above- no luck finding the last few days so I plunked in an average. But here is a quick and dirty (like Joey) spreadsheet with Anish/Joey/Bink and Krud on the same sheet.joey at CA_OR.pdf

GAME 06

Oh my! That is not a trivial foot problem considering how far he has to go. It will be interesting to see how the foot issue progresses as that kind of thing does not normally fix itself under conditions mush less severe than what he is doing.

I figured the heat would eat him up a bit as he has indicated it is (it is supposed to last for another week or so at unusually high levels) but it would likely be manageable.

I guess this is where the phrase about the last 25% being 75% of the effort comes from.

Talked to Joey some more- he does now have a delay in his posts- so I will respect that and not share anymore.
    That said... As far as I can tell, there's a silver lining on this day regardless. I'll leave it to anyone at FKT to say anything, but as far as I can tell it looks pretty damn clean as a whistle to me.

http://fastestknowntime.proboards.co...&scrollTo=3055

PCT California:
    Ryan ("Tuna Helper") Weidert went after the PCT speed record (see below) in the summer of 2012. Heading NoBo, he was ahead of record pace until about Crater Lake "when the snow hadn't melted out and made progress slow and awful", so he was unable to complete the whole trail. However Weidert did manage to set new Midpoint (30d9h55m) and full length CA (38d10h00m) speed marks. Weidert used Scott Williamson's self-supported style (no vehicles of any kind), and carried a GPS to verify times and locations. His blog has detailed information, with some additional info added here.

I got Joey at 36d:17h:36.
    No exact time on his midpoint- but he may have set that FKT as well.

Images

Look at Bink and kruds third to last day. that is the Glacier Peak area which I mentioned in the email to you two. there is a reason that was a low mile day, it's tough trail. if he can hit Stevens Pass on time he could possibly make up for the shorter days in the relatively easy last two days. He will not be making up time near Glacier Peak.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    PCT California:
    Ryan ("Tuna Helper") Weidert went after the PCT speed record (see below) in the summer of 2012. Heading NoBo, he was ahead of record pace until about Crater Lake "when the snow hadn't melted out and made progress slow and awful", so he was unable to complete the whole trail. However Weidert did manage to set new Midpoint (30d9h55m) and full length CA (38d10h00m) speed marks. Weidert used Scott Williamson's self-supported style (no vehicles of any kind), and carried a GPS to verify times and locations. His blog has detailed information, with some additional info added here.

I got Joey at 36d:17h:36.
    No exact time on his midpoint- but he may have set that FKT as well.
    Tuna's record was over before he left the Mexican border. He left too early, some of us recommended he delay and he went anyway. No big surprise that you will hit snow in July in Or and Wa during a normal snow year. not a show stopper but it was a record stopper. There is a reason Scott leaves as late as he does on his NoBo attempts, he knows the trail.

Speaking of Scott, any word when he is leaving?

Ounces are the little-death

His mom posting on all his posts is one of my favorite parts of this.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
    His mom posting on all his posts is one of my favorite parts of this.
    He's a good italian boy...

Got word from Joey on the Midpoint time:
    Midpoint was 28d 5hrs 35mins. 11:05 on 6-16.

So Mr. Campanelli appears to have earned himself the fastest midpoint time and the fastest time through California.

Two FKT's down...

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post

Speaking of Scott, any word when he is leaving?
    Somewhat sarcastically, somewhat seriously... does anyone ever know when he's leaving?
    Doesn't he usually post right before or even after he's left?

GAME 06

Two big down days for Joey. His foot problems required he takes it easy so on the 28th of June he only covered 3 miles and on the 29th he took a full zero. Got back on the trail on the 30th and covered 31 miles to finish at mile point 1861.

I have no idea where this puts him in relation to the record. But one positive is that it allowed his feet to heal some, really rested him from the heat and beatings the trail is giving him, and should have bulked up his energy supplies. It will be interesting to see what happens in the next couple of days. Could be a deciding moment. I expect most of his lead is gone at this point.

GAME 06

If I am reading JB's spreadsheet correctly (a big if) it appears that Joey's lead has shrunk to 29 miles thru day 43.

This puts Joey in a bad spot as over the next 6 days (day 44 thru 49) Anish cranked off 289 miles.

Joey had to start in a bit of a rush, so he started "live" but has intentionally built a bit of a delay into his posts.
    So... forgive me if I am being a bit obtuse but I would like to respect his wishes on that.

More or less... you are correct. He lost most of his lead, if not all of it, but it does not appear as if he is behind.

He basically has to meet or beat her times from here on out. Simplest way to say it- call it a reset and "start the race" at Crater Lake.

From Crater Lake- Anish pulled an average of 46 MPD. With individual days from the low 30's into the 50's.
    I don't know the PCT well enough to debate the finer points or determine which days were trail and which were Anish.

Bink and Krud were much steadier through this section- with a 41.67 MPD average.
    They were also much more stable in their mileage, with a low of 34 and high of 47.

In getting to know Joey a bit more, I would put him closer to Bink and Krud in his pacing, planning and performance. He's fairly steady.
    Thus far, Joey has been about 7% faster than Anish overall.

I would put odds in his favor at this point if just looking at the spreadsheet.

That said, without getting too specific; He probably should not be hiking.
    Likely nothing is broken but the issues he has are very hard to deal with, let alone push 45+ miles per day.

He wants this very badly but he's not dumb... I think the concern of infection and possibility of long term issues is the bigger burden on his mind.
    If the infection concerns pass I think he can tough out the pain, but if it flares up again he will have to put his health first.

So we'll see. He's a pretty tough dude and fast healer generally and I think the rest time cleared up most of the worries about infection.

The next week is a big one, not for mileage but for health. His plans were to take it easy but maintain some forward progress.

Because of the timing he has almost a calendar day on his last day. So an all-nighter or short sleep push would give him almost a full 48 hours of movement for the last push. It will be a chess match with many sacrifices but his mental game is very strong. If he plays it just right and gets lucky his health should bounce back enough to put him in striking distance and give him a chance to pull it off.

As an aside-

I saw an interview with Jurek, and this is by no means a dig at him, but for all the amazing things he has done in his career he calls his AT hike the biggest thing he's done by far. A monumental challenge and possibly the hardest challenge around.

I don't disbelieve him by any means and for the most part couldn't agree more.

But I look at his van with sponsorship's on it, there is nothing wrong with sponsors; it's just that it's another level of support. Years and years of using the best products and nutrition available. Things he's earned no doubt. His crew, his fans, his wife by his side every day. How everything and everyone is building medicine (energy) around him to carry him through the challenge.

By contrast I look at Matt Kirk, Anish, and now Joey. In Joey's case he could swap an e-mail or two...maybe call home and catch a friendly voice.
    But otherwise, nothing. Nobody to pick you up, cook your food, rub your feet, coach you up, navigate the trail, or even simply give you a pat on the back or a smile. Nobody cheering, no loved one next to you in bed every night.

With everyone watching Scott, imagining his hike, and cheering along think about it for a second. Imagine what your hikes usually look like when you are solo. If one of the greatest long distance athletes around calls a supported hike the greatest challenge around...

Imagine doing it on your own.

Send a little good medicine Joey's way.

GAME 06

Thus the reason there is two categories of FKT records as the two approaches are so different.

I agree that of the two the self-supported is most likely the most difficult for many of the reasons you state, but also perhaps from a pain standpoint as ones nutrition is substandard (and thus somewhat debilitating) and no one is there to give you massages and such. This 'being on your own' is also likely part of the draw for those who approach self supported FKT attempts. I must admit of the two ways the self supported is far more interesting to me as someone who has never hiked a long distance with anyone even once. Being by oneself is sort of part of the point in being out there in the first place.

But, that being said, I also have no doubt that anyone trying either way is giving the full measure of what they are capable of so in that respect they are equal - just different.

I too concur that for me a self supported fkt attempt carries more weight an intrigue than a supported one, it's more inline with my style...run what ya brung.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++