Default Grafton notch to rangeley

I'm doing a section hike next week (memorial day to Friday) from route 26 in Grafton notch to route 4 in rangeley. I was wondering if any thru hikers have made it that far yet. I know you would have had to be haulin' to get there that fast, just thought I'd ask.

There was a recent trail report from last weekend on VFTT.org regarding severe blowdowns on the AT ascending Baldpate from Graton Notch. You may want to bring a saw for the blowdowns and a sense of humor for the black flies that are out in full force. The late winter and mud season may have delayed maintainers from addressing a lot of issues.

Images

Would love to know your thoughts after doing it. I'll be doing that section starting Labor Day weekend.
    ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit..... Numbers 35

www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    There was a recent trail report from last weekend on VFTT.org regarding severe blowdowns on the AT ascending Baldpate from Graton Notch. You may want to bring a saw for the blowdowns and a sense of humor for the black flies that are out in full force. The late winter and mud season may have delayed maintainers from addressing a lot of issues.
    Had been considering the GLT for this weekend until I saw that trip report. Blowdowns don't scare me as I'm used to unmaintained wilderness trails, but those alpine bogs have some man eating mud holes I'd rather let dry out a bit before heading up there. That whole section is likely to be pretty wet this early.

I hiked baldpate about 5 years ago in mid may. I know what you mean about those bogs. If i remember, the one between the two peaks had a boardwalk about an inch above the surface of the muck. *fingers crossed*

++ New Posts ++