WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Biggest/best trekking poles?

I'm 6'6" and may be looking for a new pair of hiking poles. I'm trying to get Leki to replace my busted poles that max out at 145cm. Curious if anyone has seen bigger trekking poles, or 145cm poles that they'd recommend. I'm definitely interested in moving on from anything twist lock, that's for sure.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

I'm surprised that you need 145 cm at 6'6". I'm 6'1" and I've usually got mine set to about 120. You're comfortable with them 10 inches longer than mine? (I know, never comment on the length of other men's poles...) I know the size chart says that I should be closer to 130, but even following the chart, 145 seems good for you or even a little long. Are you using them for stability or for uphill power? (For power, you want them shorter, for stability, maybe longer.)

I'm at work and my Komperdell poles are at home. I'll check when I get home how far they expand. They're aluminum, flick locks, cork grips, no shock absorbers, if you care. Aluminum ones are heavier than carbon fibre but might be less likely to shatter. (Is that what happened to your busted ones?)

I'll also shoot my brother a text and ask what he uses when he goes snowshoeing. He's 6'8" and may have some insights.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Just heard back from my brother. He says that he found his trekking poles in the sporting goods at Wal-Mart, of all places. They're unreasonably heavy but effective, and big enough for him.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

I usually keep my poles as they are down or up hill, and that's at 145cm. They were aluminum and got all corroded from being wet and folded into themselves. Not Leki's problem according to them since I could have taken care of them better, they won't even send me new expanders, they're being real dinks about it, keep harping on how their warranty is only for poles that have snapped. So I've learned.

ok then I'll keep my eyes open at walmart

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

I personally think the best trekking pole is just to find a good stick and go with it; they're not expensive and can be found almost anywhere.

Images

I am also tall and I used hammer or hamner treking poles sold on ebay they are 60 inchs and I also use mountainsmith Mountainsmith Trekker FX 7075 Trekking Pole - Single and are sold single at about $35 each, they are also about 58" long. The mountainsmith have very soft grips and I like them, the hamners are a very hard foam and are heavy about 14 oz each.

If you are considering moving to a single trekking pole rather than two traditional poles, you might be interested in the ZPacks carbon fiber staff. I've been eyeing it for a few months but I haven't the money or a good excuse to buy it :P
    Walking is the best possible exercise. Habituate yourself to walk very far.
    - Thomas Jefferson

A single staff would almost eliminate the problem of "non maintenance" *, however if flying or using public transport one or two, fixed length, 145cm poles would not be all that easy to manage.
    (a mate had his CF 115cm poles broken inside a bus luggage compartment. They looked safe when we put them in...)
    * if storing aluminium poles dirty and particularly when wet, they will corrode, nothing peculiar about Leki here.

My ancient aluminum, twist lock Komperdells extend to 145cm and are sturdy and reliable. They are also within an ounce of similar carbon poles. Having used both twist lock (never break) and flip lock (break) camera tripods since forever, I am sold on screw thread twist lock adjustable poles. I don't understand the affection for flip lock poles.
    YMMV

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    My ancient aluminum, twist lock Komperdells extend to 145cm and are sturdy and reliable. They are also within an ounce of similar carbon poles. Having used both twist lock (never break) and flip lock (break) camera tripods since forever, I am sold on screw thread twist lock adjustable poles. I don't understand the affection for flip lock poles.
    YMMV

Wayne
    Affections for things like this are generally based on direct or observed problems, or more importantly lack of them. The only use failure I had with poles was with twist lock Komperdell poles. One of them collapsed (telescoped the upper section) when coming down a steep rock fall and caused a pretty scary moment. The locking mechanism had failed and rather than replace it and take another chance I opted to get poles with flip locks to try. I have used flip locks since with easily three times the mileage use (same set of poles) without incident during use. I think both are probably fine, my poor experience with twist locks could have just as easily been with flip locks.

Journal Entries

My husband is almost 6'-4". After bending a few cheap poles, I got him a pair of Black Diamonds with the elliptical shaft. They have worked well for him. Not sure their length fully extended, but they do seem adequate for him.

Does anyone know a company that will custom make a trekking pole

Interesting suggestions, I wish someone would just make a pair of 5 foot poles with cork grips and switch locks. Is that too much to ask?

I was wrong. My Komperdell poles extend to 145 cm. Sorry.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Rossingnol BC100 ski poles are adjustable, extend to 150 cm,and might just do the trick well.

Images

Black Diamond Traverse w/ Flicklock extend to 155cm - I'm 6'2" and hike with them at ~135cm.
    155cm for Backcountry/XC ski.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by bigfeesh View Post
    I usually keep my poles as they are down or up hill, and that's at 145cm. They were aluminum and got all corroded from being wet and folded into themselves. Not Leki's problem according to them since I could have taken care of them better, they won't even send me new expanders, they're being real dinks about it, keep harping on how their warranty is only for poles that have snapped. So I've learned.
    Consideration: carbon fiber poles don't corrode.

I'll put in a vote for the pacerpoles. I tried them this year and really like them. They are sturdy and will go plenty high enough for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I was wrong. My Komperdell poles extend to 145 cm. Sorry.

Wayne

One more time.
    140 cm. Not 145.

Wayne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++