WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Default Musical Instruments

How many of you carry a musical instrument with you when you hike? I currently don't play an instrument but was considering it. Thinking along the lines of a harmonica, recorder, flute or something like that. Wouldn't want anything to big or expensive so as to not have to worry. What are your thoughts and observations?

Rex

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I've seen a number of people on the trail carryng cut-down guitars strapped to the back of their packs. I've only seen one harmonica and a mouth harp, but I'm sure that there are more out there at the bottom of the packs.

Of course, you can mimic Tuba Man, who thru-hiked a few years ago with his concert tuba, which actually protected him from injury when he fell off of a rock in Pennsylvania I think!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

It is a thought. If u do the think at a shelter and it's not loud, that would normally be ok. If'n u try while trekn, difficulty of walking will occur. How much time do u have at a shelter ? Enough to warrent carrring the tuba ?

I'm teaching myself to play ukulele.
    (It's not all Don Ho and tip toe thru the tulips)
    You can find a decent one for $50 or so.
    The one I have was only $20, Cheap enough so that you can bang it around.

Images

Well that is how i got my trail name i carry a Tambourine sometimes when i want to hear noise i play ot a while .Helps for the bear also
    TAMBOURINE:banana

I usually carry a Martin "Backpacker" guitar. I wouldn't do the AT without it!

Images

I carry a 6 hole PVC flute, & a few tunes (sheet music). I have many memorized, but have found that memorized at home isn't the same as remembering them on the trail.

I enjoy playing, and the few times I have played in a shelter, others seem to enjoy my playing.

I would prefer to carry my bamboo flute as it sounds better & is lighter, but not nearly as sturdy.

Doctari.
    Curse you Perry the Platypus!

Images

Since Fiddlehead already posted that he carries a Martin Backpacker, I suppose he won't mind if I "toot" it's (or his) horn. I first met him at Muskrat Creek Shelter in '99. Very quickly figured out he was a great guy. Then he pulled out this rather odd looking guitar sort of thing. The performance was awesome. It doesn't exactly sound like a guitar, but it does sound good, especially in the hands of a good player. Is it a great guitar? I have no idea, I can't play. But if you can, sure, take it along on your hike.

GAVA '04; GAME '05
    Images

Definitely bring something. Anything. I had three friends with instruments and we'd sit in the middle of the Trail and play the blues for a while. It was some of the most fun I had on the trip. A harmonica's great and drumsticks are nice, too.

Default The Hills Are Alive With Dreadful Music.....

Not to be a killjoy, but while it's perfectly OK to bring an instrument with you, the Trail is NOT the place to be learning how to play it. Over the years, I've had the pleasure of hiking with some extraorinarily accomplished musicians, along with some equally noteworthy horrible ones. At the end of a long day, NOBODY wants to hear you practicing "Oh, Susanna" ninety times on a harmonica, tin whistle, or anything else. Most trail guitarists and banjo-pickers aren't that great. Nearly all Trail troubadors (i.e., would-be folk-singers) are indescribably bad. And drums, or anything that can be heard from very far away, are absolutely verboten.

And it goes without saying that after dark, unless EVERYONE you're camped with is up and hanging 'round the fire, the instruments go to bed for the night.

I usually carry a native american flute I made out of red cedar. It can be in the rain all day on the outside of my pack without harm.

I play most often at lunch along the trail, especially at nice overlooks, and when I am alone at night.

Weight: about 3 oz.

My Native American Flute Page:

http://www.imrisk.com/flute/flute.htm
    Walk Well,
    Risk

Author of "A Wildly Successful 200-Mile Hike"
    http://www.wayahpress.com

Personal hiking page: http://www.imrisk.com

I wonder if anyone has ever brought bagpipes?

Quote Originally Posted by flyfisher
    I usually carry a native american flute I made out of red cedar. It can be in the rain all day on the outside of my pack without harm.

I play most often at lunch along the trail, especially at nice overlooks, and when I am alone at night.

Weight: about 3 oz.

My Native American Flute Page:

http://www.imrisk.com/flute/flute.htm
    Man, I sure wish I could meet you at a shelter sometime on my hike. That sounds great!
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. - William Shakespeare

i rarely stay at shelters any more, and try to be sympathetic to others who are quite possibly enjoying the serenity of the woods. jack, your points are on the money. but with that said, there is nothing like the sound of my instrument filling a hollow or echoing back from distant ridges. playing it outside is similar to the alphorn experience, for the player as well as those who hear it. i have owned a 'backpacking' trombone for years. it is a smallbore tenor horn with no counterweight on the tuning crook and a lightweight gig bag, which of course offers less than substantial protection. the biggest problem i face is stepping between trees and other obstacles when it is lashed to the top of my frame pack. the places i like to go usually have plenty of obstacles, which also often means less ears for the sound to penetrate.

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Default yes yes yes yes yes!!!

DEFINITELY carry a musical instrument if you have any desire to do so. Ignore the naysayers and do it. You'll have plenty of opportunities to play with or without an audience. Take whatever instrument you'll feel comfortable carrying and be interested in practicing.

I carried a cheap beginner A-style mandolin during my whole trip. I'm not an expert but managed to amuse lots of folks along the way. The whole rig weighed about 3 lbs ... gig bag, instrument, spare set of strings, tuning fork, extra picks, and song notes. I strapped it to the outside of my pack and went down the trail. A couple of times I even tried playing while hiking, but that was less successful.

I saw one or two native american flutes on the trail this year. I also ran into a few folks carrying harmonicas, three or four carrying the Martin Backpacker guitar, and two that carried a cheap child-sized regular guitar. A couple of these guitar-toters were just learning themselves, but it was still fun to jam with them.

For guitarists, I recommend the child-sized guitar: it's cheaper (Crazy Horse found his at a flea market in VA for about $40, versus $300 for the Backpacker), it sounds and plays more like a real guitar, and you won't break down in tears when/if something happens to it on the trail.

If you're planning a NOBO thru-hike and expect to be among the crowd some of the time, you might consider a harmonica or something over a flute or recorder -- it'll be easier to join in with other trail musicians. Just make sure you have a good key... maybe a C or G harp for most songs and an A or D harp, or even an A-minor harp, for a little variety. Though if you're really hankering for a flute or recorder, go for it. It is, after all, your hike!

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse
    I wonder if anyone has ever brought bagpipes?
    A fellow named Old Scrubs carried a set of Scottish Smallpipes on his hike this year. They're a smaller member of the bagpipe family. He said they weighed about 2 lbs. I met him at Jenkins Shelter in VA while he was playing early one evening. We even tried to jam, but the results weren't encouraging.

Images

I agree with Jack.
    Learn to play FIRST. I'm not the best player, but I can play well enough that the songs are recognizable. Have heard a few on the trail, and was so glad they had learned to play. A plesant evening indeed.

Have heard myself play as I was learning, ohmygoditwasawfulintheextreme. I wouldn't want to inflict that on anyone.

Doctari.

Images

I've thought about bringing my bagpipes on section hikes, but have thought better of the idea. Heavy and bulky, too.
    I'm sure there are many who are glad of my decision....
    Greg P.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Clean
    I've thought about bringing my bagpipes on section hikes, but have thought better of the idea. Heavy and bulky, too.
    I'm sure there are many who are glad of my decision....
    If I played,,,,,,,

Oh the joy of playing, in full regalia, atop Max Patch

Yes, too heavy, but WOW. A bit much for playing in a shelter too.

I love the bagpipes.

Someday, , , , , , , ,

Doctari.

I wear a kilt when hiking anyway

<sigh> I love bagpipe music.

I used to play flute & piccolo - and I really and dying to try a pan flute - I think that would be great in the woods. But Jack is right - the great outdoors is not a place to inflict practicing.
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yes, we met Scrubs too who played his bagpipes for us at Bearfence Mtn shelter this past spring when we were section hiking in SNP. It was great. My son wants to bring his saxophone on our thru hike in 2007, ha!

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++