WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Hostel N Woodstock NH - The Notch Hostel

I saw this on VFTT.org, though tit may be of interest
    The Notch Hostel

When up in the Whites, I sometimes prefer the hostel option to camping on one end of the spectrum or motels at the other end. When hiking near Gorham or Conway, I'm all set with some great hostels. However, I haven't come up with interesting hostel options in the Lincoln area --

-- until now. While hiking the Mt. Kinsman Trail yesterday, I ran into Serena Walsh. On talking, I learned that she and her husband-to-be Justin just moved up to N.Woodstock, and are in the process of opening a hostel on Rt.112, less than a mile W of the town center), called The Notch Hostel (notchhostel.com). It looks and sounds great: 15 bunks, 2 private rooms, copious indoor and outdoor common space, wifi and coffee, warm hospitality, dog friendly.

I very much enjoyed meeting Serena, and wish her and Justin the best as they get established. Check them out!

Alex

Looks interesting. I didn't see any pricing though (other that the $5 a night for dogs)
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Not open til mid-July - they'll miss a huge chunk of northbounders.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Bear View Post
    Looks interesting. I didn't see any pricing though (other that the $5 a night for dogs)
    Drove by over the weekend and turned around in their lot-- place looks great from the outside.

Pricing comes up if you click the reservation links.

I think this place could be a big success with a wide variety of outdoors people. In addition to the bunk space -- something like $30 with make your own breakfast -- they have a couple private rooms, too. I hope they are open in the fall and winter.

From all all apearances they are doing this right.

There is quite a demand for a clean year round hostel in that area. If they also do shuttles, they will have plenty of business. There is bus service from Boston that goes to Lincoln but other than the AMC shuttle which only heads to the AMC hut lots, the only other option is the Shuttle Connection in Lincoln which is pricey.

Doesn't look like they will come pick you up in the notch, that would be nice since most of the hotels I am looking at in Franconia and Lincoln will do that.

Hey!

My name is Justin and this summer my fiancee Serena and I will be opening up the Notch Hostel! It's incredible how fast word travels in the hiking community- Serena and I have just started telling people about our hostel and we've already received such great support and interest (including several drop in visitors!). I'll try and answer your questions to the best of my ability but you're always welcome to email us ([email protected]) or contact us through Facebook or our website (NotchHostel.com)

Gray Bear: "Looks interesting. I didn't see any pricing though (other that the $5 a night for dogs)"
    Justin: Prices are not currently displayed on the website but can be seen if you do a sample booking. Rates are $30 for a bunk and include breakfast supplies, laundry service, some shuttling, etc. We are listed in AWOL's 2015 guide and our full policies can be found on our website.

TJ: "Not open til mid-July - they'll miss a huge chunk of northbounders.
    Justin: We know I've already seen quite a few hikers in town. We wish we could be open sooner but it's been a lot of effort getting this place off the ground and our marriage / honeymoon plans are dictating our opening date. We plan to be open year-round so this will not be a problem for future AT classes.

RickB: I think this place could be a big success with a wide variety of outdoors people. In addition to the bunk space -- something like $30 with make your own breakfast -- they have a couple private rooms, too. I hope they are open in the fall and winter
    Justin: Thanks for your kind words and for taking the time to stop in. We will be open year-round (with the possible exception of brief off-season vacations for Serena and I)

TomN: Doesn't look like they will come pick you up in the notch, that would be nice since most of the hotels I am looking at in Franconia and Lincoln will do that
    Justin: As of right now our policy is to offer pickups from town and AM drop offs at both Kinsman and Franconia Notch trail heads. Serena is our only day-time staff member. We hope to be successful enough to hire an additional helper and expand our shuttle services but it's too daunting to promise for now.

When we got the idea to start a hostel we spent quite a bit of time consulting with AWOL and Jeff Tausig about rates, policies, etc and arrived at what we hope is a good starting point. I'm sure it will be a learning experience for us and future seasons will bring about change. We are really excited to open and hope to catch some of the 2015 crowd. Please don't hesitate to contact us with any questions!

I noticed this under the Thru-Hiker section on the site. Free fuel and they wash your clothes?? Do other hostels offer that?

Included with your stay

• Bunk, fresh linens, towel.
    • Showers (soap provided)
    • Laundry service — we wash all your laundry upon your arrival with non-toxic, fragrance-free laundry detergent. A shower and spare clean clothes are provided while you wait for your laundry.
    • 12oz denatured alcohol
    • Unlimited make-your-own breakfast items
    • Some bikes available for town trips
    • All other amenities listed on our amenities page

Hey ExNihilo,

Our laundry policy is borrowed from Marny's "White Mountains Lodge and Hostel" in Shelburne NH. We stayed there last summer and decided her policy was great. We picked up TONS of free good-will clothes to loan out to thru hikers so that upon arrival, you can change, toss your clothes in a communal laundry basket, and take a shower. Every night we'll run the laundry and rely on hikers to sort through for their own gear. Laundry service is only available during the summer and to the AT crowd.

Our decision to offer free denatured alcohol was based on some advice from AWOL. We do have a small camp store but wanted to include as much as possible in our base price. We realize that $30 is on the high end for AT hostels but wanted to have an all-inclusive price rather than nickle and diming for every little thing. It's easier for us and hopefully a better overall deal for you as well

Justin

Glad I started the thread.

Start slow and learn your way, don't overpromise and realize that on occasion you will have to deal with the 1% that ruins things for the rest of the hiking public. Hopefully the 99% will compensate.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    Not open til mid-July - they'll miss a huge chunk of northbounders.
    Not this year they won't, biggest and continuous bubble's roiling through Damascus for the last 2 1/2 months............

Images

These folks have done tons of research and will do everything to make a hiker feel welcome.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Quote Originally Posted by jj_dubs View Post
    Hey ExNihilo,

Our laundry policy is borrowed from Marny's "White Mountains Lodge and Hostel" in Shelburne NH. We stayed there last summer and decided her policy was great. We picked up TONS of free good-will clothes to loan out to thru hikers so that upon arrival, you can change, toss your clothes in a communal laundry basket, and take a shower. Every night we'll run the laundry and rely on hikers to sort through for their own gear. Laundry service is only available during the summer and to the AT crowd.

Our decision to offer free denatured alcohol was based on some advice from AWOL. We do have a small camp store but wanted to include as much as possible in our base price. We realize that $30 is on the high end for AT hostels but wanted to have an all-inclusive price rather than nickle and diming for every little thing. It's easier for us and hopefully a better overall deal for you as well

Justin
    Sounds awesome JJ! I wish you and your wife great success! Sounds like you've done your homework. I'm only an hour south of you. I'll make it a point to stop by and check things out. I grew up skiing at Loon and stayed right down the street from your location for Christmas vacation for many years. You have a great location for anyone Hiking off the Kank or the Franconia Notch.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Hey ExNihilo,

Justin
    Thanks for your reply! This looks great. I look forward to staying there if ever in the area.

Hey ExNihilo,

Our laundry policy is borrowed from Marny's "White Mountains Lodge and Hostel" in Shelburne NH. We stayed there last summer and decided her policy was great.
    Justin - great to see this place opening. Looks like a great location and will address a real need for an affordable place to stay in the North Woodstock/Lincoln area. Doing your homework by visiting other successful hostels will pay off. Marny runs a wonderful place at the White Mountain Lodge and Hostel and it seems you guys are picking up best practices from her and others. A receipt for success.

Thank you!

It means a lot to be getting such positive feedback. We've had to deal with the internal "What if no one shows up?" question quite a bit and it's a huge relief to hear people in the community who believe our hostel will meet the needs of hikers and travelers in the area. Serena and I would both love to hear feedback on our policies and advice for us moving forward, too. The best way to stay connected or contact us is through our new website NotchHostel.com

Justin

Images

We've had to deal with the internal "What if no one shows up?" question quite a bit and it's a huge relief to hear people in the community who believe our hostel will meet the needs of hikers and travelers in the area.
    We had those same concerns before our opening. Trust me, you will have wall to wall hikers in July and August. The trail grapevine is alive and well.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

Journal Entries
    Images

The best way to stay connected or contact us is through our new website NotchHostel.com
    FWIW, I could not find an email address on your website.

A hostel in Lincoln, NH? The place should clean up, i.e. make a killing, during the ski season. Imagine a simple cheap place to stay when all the hotels will charge sky high prices. It will be interesting to read how many thru hikers stay during summer. It would provide a nice resupply opportunity in the Whites. My best wishes to Justin and Serena for a successful venture. Keep us posted here on whiteblaze on how it goes!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by DavidNH View Post
    A hostel in Lincoln, NH? The place should clean up, i.e. make a killing, during the ski season. Imagine a simple cheap place to stay when all the hotels will charge sky high prices. It will be interesting to read how many thru hikers stay during summer. It would provide a nice resupply opportunity in the Whites. My best wishes to Justin and Serena for a successful venture. Keep us posted here on whiteblaze on how it goes!
    Chet's Place in Lincoln will continue to offer a more basic hostel experience, yet homey and friendly, on a donation basis, as it has for years. My loyalty will stay with Chet, who's been very kind and welcoming to me and to countless others, and who does stay open year round. But I, as does he, welcome the new addition - it looks like Justin and Serena are doing a bang-up job providing a fine new addition to the Lincoln/Woodstock area.

One question for Justin: is it true there's a two-night minimum on the $30/night rate? Someone posted that either at Views from the Top or at one of the White Mtn 4K FB pages. Is that true only for day/weekend hikers and not thrus or sectioners? Or not at all?
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++