WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Images

PS: I forgot to mention just now. Funny bit of trivia - Chet once lived in the house which will be home to Notch Hostel. He told me this when I was up for a visit this past weekend. Funny coincidence!
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

I'm sure they will clean up during ski season.
    The best journeys answer questions that in the beginning you didn't even know to ask.

Hi!

RickB, thanks for the correction. I thought we'd added a "contact" page. I'll work on that later today

Serena and Chet have got to know each other pretty well over the past several weeks. I was a little nervous when we started this place up about stepping on any toes. It was a huge relief when we met and got nothing but positive feedback from him. I have no doubt that he will continue to house tons of hikers and we would not nothing less for him.

PS: I forgot to mention just now. Funny bit of trivia - Chet once lived in the house which will be home to Notch Hostel. He told me this when I was up for a visit this past weekend. Funny coincidence!

Yes! We thought that was awesome too! This house has quite a bit of history- it seems like the majority of people we've met in town have either lived there or knows someone who's lived there. Originally a farmhouse, it was converted at some point (maybe 60s?) to apartments before slowly making the transition back towards its current state. It's really a neat place and part of local lore.

Finally- There is no minimum stay for any bunks. Quite frankly, there never will be. Minimum night stays for bunks wouldn't help us and wouldn't serve the needs of the majority of hikers. There's one room (Crawford Room) that is pretty unique and that we've put a two-night minimum on for now. It's a large room (~450SF) on the second floor above our studio apartment and has a wood stove, private deck, private bathroom, queen bed, two futons, etc. We're still not quite sure how to rent this one out in the long term but for now it is what it is. Keep the feedback coming, the majority of our policies have come from input from the community so it's all greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Justin
    NotchHostel.com

Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

One question for Justin: is it true there's a two-night minimum on the $30/night rate? Someone posted that either at Views from the Top or at one of the White Mtn 4K FB pages. Is that true only for day/weekend hikers and not thrus or sectioners? Or not at all?
    Hey Driver8, do you have a link to where you saw that posted? I'd like to correct it if possible. We definitely do not have a minimum stay for bunks.

Images

Hey Justin:

Found it. 4000-Footer Club, Hiking and Climbing in the Whites FB group, thread started by NH Andy on May 26, in the comments.

Best of luck!

-Chris
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Journal Entries
    Images

:banana

Saw the photos you put up on your site.

Looks excellent.

Journal Entries
    Images

My wife and I decided to leave the tent on the shelf and stayed here over the holiday weekend.

Since we splurged and stayed in the Crawford Room (sort of a suite attached to the hostel) it was far from the typical hostel experience (So nice my 84 year-old mother would have been delighted to stay there). I liked just about everything about this place. The owners were young, enthusiastic and super nice. This is a place worth looking up, I think.

No thruhikers when we were there, but some older folks going after their last 4000 footers, a guy who rode his bike up from Brooklyn, some young woman doing the first Presidential traverse, and others. The his hostel will always draw a wide range of guests-- which I think is a good thing.

On a blue blue blaze trail we did pass a couple who had met each other on an AT thru in 2002 fallen in love, married and had since hiked trails around the world together. Moral of the story, if someone has on an AT hat and has a ULA pack, best to stoke up a conversation-- they were super cool to speak with, if only fow a few minutes.

The rest of our trips this summer should be in a tent-- but who knows, this hostel could easily draw us back if bad weather or other stuff happens.

Journal Entries
    Images

Post Information on the Notch Hostel

After posting my review, I asked for feedback from the owners. Tie Dye got back to me and made several good suggestions for edits.

I stayed here for three nights last week as a mini-section hiker in the Whites.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61927
    I highly recommend it as a place to stay if you’re a hiker (or just a tourist!) wanting low-cost but high quality lodging. If you want to raise heck or proclaim your independence by ignoring rules, this may not be the place for you.

For the best & latest information on this place, go to
    http://notchhostel.com/

Reservations can be made online, by e-mail, or by phoning the place directly. If you wish to stay in a gender specific room, or together in one room as a group or family, or with a specific guest under a different reservation; mention that in your communication, or in the "Special Requests" part of the booking form. The Walshes will TRY to honor all such requests, but there are no guarantees.

The Notch has four common rooms with a total of 25 bunks, as well as two private rooms – one for a couple, one for a small family.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61926
    Pillows, linens, and blankets are provided; indeed, using your own bedding is forbidden. All rooms have air conditioners & white noise generators. Lights out & quiet hours are from 10pm to 7am. Beer & wine in moderation are permitted in the kitchen area. Smoking, illegal substances, and hard liquor are strictly prohibited inside. No food is allowed in the bunk areas, and liquids there must be in covered bottles.

Parking is free, and there is room for over a dozen cars.

I had no problem paying with a credit card, and the place accepts cash as well.

There are three showers and four toilets in the facility; towels, soap, and shampoo are provided. All were clean & well-maintained, and I never had a problem finding one free to use. There is also a sauna available in the winter.

There is a porch area, as well as a large outdoor yard, if you prefer to be outside at some point. As I never went to the yard, I don’t really know what’s out there.

Check-in time is 4pm to 9pm, check-out is by 11am; but I never had much need for check-in or check-out. The entrance doors are usually locked at 9pm; when locked, you can use a punch door code to get in. If you plan an initial late arrival, either contact them ahead of time, or hope they leave you a note at the door – which they VERY kindly did for me!! Note, however, that I had made a reservation (with credit card) for this night, so they were expecting me. Show up after 9pm without a reservation, and you might be locked out for the night!

Storage is either under your bed or in your choice of a locker. For the latter, you can use your own lock, or rent one for a nominal charge. Shoes, ski gear, poles, and sharp gear MUST be stored in the first floor Boot Room. Trail shoes must be left outside on the porch; socks or camp shoes are fine inside the house.

The kitchen is open at all hours.
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61925
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61924
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61923
    You can use the stove, oven, microwave, toaster, coffee maker, waffle iron, toaster oven, sink, or dish washer. All eating utensils (plates, cups, bowls, flatware) and cooking utensils (pots, pans, mixing bowls, cutting knives, etc) are provided. Tea, coffee, pancake mix, condiments, and some staples are complimentary. There are bins for trash and for recyclables.

Food storage is available in the refrigerator, the freezer, or the cupboards. You must write your name & departure date (tape & pen provided) on your food, as unlabelled food is considered communal – including stuff you forgot to label. As usual with hostels, hikers will leave free food for anyone to use or take.

The Den has couches, games, books, a PC, a cast iron stove, and DVDs. However, no TV!
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61922
    http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=61921
    Free wifi (you’ll get the access code) worked fine for me in all parts of the hostel.

Communal clothes wash & dry is free, but there is a charge if you want to use either the washer (laundry soap provided) or the dryer on your own. You may dry your clothes outside. Clothes to wear while you wash yours are provided.

You can rent or borrow locks, bicycles, day packs, and photo-copies of trail maps. The camp store -- open at all hours on an honor system -- sells medicine packets, ear plugs, some camp stuff, fuel (denatured alcohol and 8.9 oz canister fuel), camp food, and frozen treats. Keep a running tab of your purchases and, at the end of your stay, you may either settle your tab with cash or leave the bill on the credit card you left on file.

Mail-drops to this hostel are free, even for non-guests. Mailing boxes are available and, for a fee (presently $5 plus shipping costs), you can have your mail dropped off at the nearby post office.

Free morning shuttles are provided both to Kinsman Notch and to Franconia Notch – just sign on the board the night before. Departure times are set ahead of time, and are strictly held to -- signs explicitly state that shuttles WILL leave without you! In addition, free afternoon pick ups from town, Kinsman, or Franconia trail heads are offered for guests until 6 pm. To reserve a pick up, text or call the hostel with your trail name, pick up location, number of people, and ETA. Staff will respond as soon as available to let you know when they can pick you up. The sooner in advance you let them know you are coming, the less likely you will have to wait around for a pick up. A nightly town resupply shuttle also runs for $5 per person. For other shuttling needs, they recommend the Shuttle Connection, (603 745 3140). The latter typically charges $5 per person ONE WAY for a ride to town and $10 per person ONE WAY for a ride to one of the trail heads.

Dogs are welcome for a daily charge, but there are rules for their stay (scroll down to 'Dogs!'):
    http://notchhostel.com/rooms-and-rates/
    Above all, make certain that you specify you have a dog when you make your reservation!
    Last edited by GoldenBear; 08-10-2016 at 18:53.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++