WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Yet another "Looking for advice on trail shoes" thread!

Hello all!
    thanks in advance for good advice.

I am getting back on the trail after years of being busy with work. I was brought into the hiking world with there thought that the heavier the boot, the better. I've also followed that advice for work with the use of good sturdy boots. I am aware of the general thrust of the advice here and elsewhere on using trail runners over boots. In light of me being out of the loop for years I am willing to take that advice to heart and give trail runners a try, but I wanted to narrow the field before I lay out the cash- i hate wasting money on poor choices!

so-

I run about a 10.5 to 11 US
    my feet run slightly wider than average, but it's not crazy. Think brooks over nike- I've never,ever been able to wear nike shoes. I think I'm a "light" D width. I've worn New Balance in the past for running shoes.

the other thing- a few years ago I "rolled" my left ankle pretty badly. I've never fully recovered even though most of the time it's fine. It's just ever once in a while I will plant my foot wrong and zing! that same ankle rolls to the outside and it's weeks or more until I'm in ok shape to walk without a twinge.

With that in mind, what do the august members of WB suggest? If you guys keep me out of the worst choices and more into the better footwear, that's all I can ask. Thanks!

See you on the trail!!

PS- It's hard to let go of the idea that shoes/boots don't provide ANY ankle support, but I also understand that you don't strengthen what you don't use...

Journal Entries

All boils down to fit.
    Peoples feet are different.
    You have to try a bunch
    Running warehouse and zappos have free shipping and return shipping
    Try all you want, costs nothing but gas to ups store

Muddy- I get what you're saying, that being said I will be buying at least THIS pair locally, but even so, I would like help in narrowing my focus a bit. That's the point of the post.

I'd like to not try the whole damn shoe store on, LOL!

There is a REI in Boulder. They carry several La Sportiva trail runners. They run small and you will end up in a full size larger than any other brand. I have been very happy with a set of Raptors but, there are several models from which to choose. REI also carries Vasque, Merrill and Keen brands. Buy something before Monday and save 20%.

Good Luck

PS: I don't work for REI but I am a member

That's OCDave.

I'm aware of Rei, and am a member. We also had EMS (eastern mountain sports) years ago too. Lots and lots of gear stores around boulder to be sure. That's helpful info on the La sportiva line. I also hear that the salomon shoes run narrow, does anyone know if that is true?

arrrgh!

sorry all.. I hate that I'm making all kinds of typos!! Where's the edit button around here??

What have you tried so far? What have you ruled out?

New Balance has several Trail Runners. If their shoes have worked for you in the past, they will likely work for you in the future. You will only KNOW what works when the shoe is on YOUR foot.

CDT - 2013, PCT - 2009, AT - 1300 miles done burger's Avatar

I have to agree with a few people above that looking for suggestions for specific models is silly because fit is so individual. You are wasting your time if you think that someone here can find the perfect shoe for you based on your description.

Here's what you should do: go to the biggest outdoor store you can find near you, and try on everything. You will know when you find something that fits and feels right. If nothing works, keep looking.

For my last thru-hike, I exhausted all the stores in my local area and ended up having to travel to NYC before I found something that worked. That shoe turned out to be perfect, and I used the same model for the entire trail. But I must have tried on 20 different types of shoes before I found the one shoe for me. Don't expect the internet to do the work for you.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HeatGeek View Post
    Muddy- I get what you're saying, that being said I will be buying at least THIS pair locally, but even so, I would like help in narrowing my focus a bit. That's the point of the post.

I'd like to not try the whole damn shoe store on, LOL!
    Im totally serious.
    Try shoes from every mfg that meet your weight, tread, breathability, drop, cushioning requirements. The ones that fit you best in the heel and foot, with roomy toes are what you want.

What are your requirements?
    If all you can say is " a trail runner", you need more definition. There are a lot out there, BUT, it narrows dramatically when you put constraints on it like weight, drop, aggressive tread, rock plate, etc. You can narrow it down to half dozen shoes and order them. Just looking at pictures and specs will tell you a lot and help you narrow it down.

For instance i like very deep aggressive tread for longevity. This is actually rare. Many are made to wear out 200 miles with 1/8 " deep tread. They are intended to last a couple months of recreational weekend running. They might last longer on soft dirt, but rock trail wears them out fast. Its got to last thru at least 500 miles of rocky trail.

Then, it has to fit, weigh under 14 oz, minimal cushioning, low stack height, very breathable mesh, have a toe rand for protection, have a high enough toe box thst toes dont rub on top, moderate drop. Bam...only a couple models to evaluate.

The low toe box height is a major downfall of la sportiva btw.

And when you find one you love, buy several pr, because in a few months it will be gone, never to be made again.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-23-2015 at 21:10.

It might have gotten lost in the original post, but let me re-focus MY question:

among brands that TEND to run to the wide fit, what are your favorite brands?

I'm NOT, nor did my post EVER presume for you to pick out my exact shoe. That's kind of the point of not ordering via the internet.

At most I thought somebody might spit out a list a FEW of their favorite shoes that fit feet that run a little wide. You aren't picking my shoe, at MOST you are giving suggestions of shoes that run wide and have worked for you.

Thanks for the input so far

PS- durabilty is always a good quality! I guess another thing I hold in the balance is relatively good ventilation, 'cus my feet sweat more than average. peeeee-u! That's another reason what I am willing to try trail runners. I will be trying out a couple of different darn tough sock designs (cool max and some of their wool hiker designs)

Nobody ever seems to mention the brand, but I have found the Saucony Xodus to be the best FOR ME. Actually, the toe box is a bit too roomy for my feet; but good tight heel, great arch support, light weight, aggressive tread and top of class for ventilation. My hiking is in extreme heat and humidity (Florida) and standing water. The Saucony is great for debris rejection and drainage, and the tread does great on everything but wet flat rock.

Other factors to consider. I have high volume feet with a long arch. I do not know how these shoes will perform for people with more -er- convention feet. I don't care; I have about 700 miles on my current pair of Xodus. Very little noticeable wear with no separations or tears. For me, they have outperformed several flavors of Merrells, NB, Brooks, Hi-Tech and Keens. Best of all, you can get "last year's" editions at many locations for about $50.
    Beats the HECK outta living on a couch!

In case of emergency BREAK WIND

GAME 06

Just to jump in a bit here.

The hiking boot criticism is not really valid anymore though it certainly once was. Hiking shoes are an option now and it pays to put them on your list of considerations.

I have hiked in everything from keds, to NB, hiking shoes, to combat boots, working boots, to actual mountaineering boots so I am not directing you anywhere but just pointing out the full options to consider.

It is a mistake to only consider running and trail running shoes for some of these reasons. The hiking specific shoes of today are NOT 'boots' in any sense of the word. My two favorite hiking shoes (made by Vasque) weigh exactly what many of the trail running shoes weigh. And they are far superior shoes to trail runners. They have much harder soles and virtually eliminate foot bruising and pain and they are no more likely to give you blisters than running or trail running shoes (I have at least 5000-7000 miles in them without any blisters at all for instance). Also unlike with running shoes my feet do not end up swelling a lot and then not fitting the shoes like happens a lot with running shoes. Also hiking shoes are made for the bio-mechanics of walking while all the other light shoes are designed for running. This does make a difference. Injuries to the feet and lower legs are much less common with the walking shoes than with the lighter shoes and this might be a point to consider as well.

Plus there is the factor that most will not need shoe inserts like Superfeet which cuts costs a lot. They are FAR more durable than trail running shoes. I had one pair last 2000 miles of walking on the AT and here in AZ where I live now I get at least 750 up to 1000 miles on them in our really bad rocky terrain. So overall they cost about 1/3 as much as trail runners and running shoes (out here many people only get around 200 miles on running shoes and not much more on trail runners. And no running type shoe goes beyond 500 miles before the inner sole cushioning is worn out.

REI has a number of companies walking shoes and several have wide models in addition to regular models. Try a few on and see what you think.

Has anyone hiked in vibram's five fingers? I hike all over in them, but always in warm weather. I'm anxious about hiking in the cold with them, but can't find and boots or shoes that feel good on my feet. I've been wearing five fingers now for about 5 years. The good part is they dry very fast, the bad part is they're useless in snow.

Since the recall, I don't see many five fingers on the trail anymore. Some folks were using them in the whites but they were few and far between. I perceive they were a fad of the year and the folks following the fad have moved onto the next one long ago.

To the original poster, be aware that you feet will get wider if you start doing significant hiking.

As for ankle rolls, if you have structural issues in your ankle, boots may be required. For the vast majority of folks, conditioning of the ankles will reduce sprains. I used to sprain my ankles frequently with boots and once I switched to trail runners, I found the number and severity of sprains dropped quickly. I have been using trail runners in the whites for about 15 years.

Images

Welcome to WB Heat! I do understand what you're looking for... just a few suggestions rather than philosophical overload... got it. How about Brooks Cascadia? They're great for wide feet like yours and mine, and lots of people use them with good success. I have hiked and backpacked probably close to 500 miles in mine and they're holding up great (I also got an earlier edition on eBay so I didn't have to pay the fortune a new model would cost). At least give them a spin!

Jane in CT

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    To the original poster, be aware that you feet will get wider if you start doing significant hiking.
    I wonder why my feet have not changed over the years. I am not disputing your claim. I have seen it in other people. My hiking partner for Maine had his feet grow a half size just going across Maine. I have a good pair of dress shoes that I have had for 30 years. They fit the same as the day I bought them. I know I am doing many things wrong. Must be doing something right on my feet. Either that or good genes. I wear NB for long hikes and sandals for many of the short walks.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HeatGeek View Post
    It might have gotten lost in the original post, but let me re-focus MY question:

among brands that TEND to run to the wide fit, what are your favorite brands?

I'm NOT, nor did my post EVER presume for you to pick out my exact shoe. That's kind of the point of not ordering via the internet.
    New Balance.

The have have multiple wide widths are decent quality and seem to be designed to fit all kinds of feet pretty well.

Added bonus, the company stil manufactures some of their shoes in this country -- probably not the ones you want, but still.

Sorry for my thread drift. I agree with rickb. New Balance. I tried many more expensive and "better" shoes, but only New Balance felt great straight out of the box. It is hard to describe. Other shoes are too supportive for my taste. New Balance shoes feel the closest to not wearing shoes. I like that comfort.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

I've heard lots of good things about Brooks Cascadia and La Sportiva Wildcats. I'm happy with my Vasque Mindbenders and Salomon Sense Pros. You'll have to find a shoe/ sock combo that works for you though. Good Luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++