WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Are Trekking Poles orky?

Have you ever been viewed as a dork for using trekking poles? I see the value in them, but I'm getting some push back.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I know people who think seat belts are dorky. I don't pay them much mind.

Probably 80-90% of long distance hikers use trekking poles.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

No one has given me any grief as you describe over hiking poles. Leather armor, curved blade, battle scars, hob-nailed boots...yeah, people call me Orky then.

Images

What Red Cinema said. Trekking poles help me on the up hills, down hills, uneven terrain and the many times I've tripped or lost my balance. I would never consider hiking without them and no one ever even mentioned them - most people had them on my recent AT section hike. That being said, don't make a gear decision based on what others might think is cool.

Quote Originally Posted by jthue View Post
    Have you ever been viewed as a dork for using trekking poles? I see the value in them, but I'm getting some push back.
    Why would you even care about "gear peer" pressure, especially at age 28? Who cares what others think about your choice of gear? If you find poles useful, then use them and stop worrying about the opinion of others. I see more day hikers with them that without, but that in itself is not a reason to use or not use them. HYOH

i never have and never will use them. i guess i look dorky

Anyone calls me a dork too many times while I'm sporting trekking poles may find out that the pointy bit smarts.

We want some, but haven't bought any yet because I want to get all three of us some at the same time. We just pick up a stick every time we go into the woods right now.

Lots of orks finishing up on Katahdin with poles. I found that I used them less down south but far more up north. Since I live up north in the whites, I use them all the time. The rare occasios I don't use them like bushwhacking, I feel it.

Images

Orks with poles
    image.jpg
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

Default My other 2 legs

The only people that give me a hard time about trekking poles are the ones that have never backpacked. They are worth their weight in gold I think I don't leave home without them

Journal Entries

They do help you with movement through difficult, rock strewn, wet or muddy inclines or declines.

Plus, half or more of the tents that are in the UL category use a trekking pole as the tent poles.

Not orky.

I started using poles when I was 23 on my first long trail experience. I love them. I have better balance, can hike faster and it feels much easier on my knees. I'm 28 now, so like, super old. Back then I didn't see anyone hiking without them my age.

Images

if you think you're orky with poles, you are probably orky without them too. just something to think about
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

They have saved my arse countless times....it might look dorky walking down a paved city road using them but I would never hike a trail without em......also my shelter is supported by them....I'm not concerned what anyone else thinks....non hikers might not understand there functionality but anyone that knows anything about hiking surely understands....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey I never said they were dorky. I was just curious to see if anyone else has had backlash. I like the poles so much I went and bought my first pair today. To hell with the haters.IMG_20150525_204320.jpgIMG_20150525_204320.jpgFD

Images

Hey I never said they were dorky. I was just curious to see if anyone else has had backlash. I like the poles so much I went and bought my first pair today. To hell with the haters. FD
    I have go ask... Push back, backlash and haters? And who from?
    igne et ferrum est potentas
    "In the beginning, all America was Virginia." -​William Byrd

The backlash is from my brothers and close friends. I hike with them a lot but they don't hike as much. I was just curious. I guess this forum was the wrong place to ask.

The only push back you are likely to get is out of ignorance. People who do not hike much in difficult terrain likely do not see the value in trekking poles as those who do. Easily 80% or more of long distance and difficult terrain hikers use these poles as standard gear.

The backlash is from my brothers and close friends. I hike with them a lot but they don't hike as much. I was just curious. I guess this forum was the wrong place to ask.
    Was it the wrong forum to ask because you didn't get the answer you wanted? I started off not using hiking poles, but became a convert fairly quickly. Just way too handy to have on the uneven trails we have in Maine. You won't hardly ever see experienced hiker not using poles.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++