WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: west PA

Default west PA

I live in eastern Ohio and I know most of the trail follows the roads for a good bit. I was curious as to how western PA is, and how the camping is

Funny you should ask as I was on it this weekend.... I have hiked the sections in Moraine/McConnells Mill area, and some of Beaver County..... there is minimal road walking, and when it is road, they are old country/dirt roads. A lot of the land outside of the parks seems to have been "hiking use donated" by the owners and there are signs pointing that out.

Images

You can contact the various North Country Trail Association chapters through the NCTA web site. They will be glad to give you pointers regarding how much road walking there is. From the NY border thru Allegheny National Forest down into Clarion County the trail is off road and on tread.

I notice, Lemens, that you live near a new section of the NCTA that will be dedicated on National Trails Day, Saturday, June 7. There's a celebration from 10am to 2 pm from Great Trail Tree Farm, 5900 Pancake-Clarkson Road near Fredericktown OH. For details contact [email protected] or 330-227-2432. I wish I could be there, but I'll be out of town.

Also, you can find a journal covering portions of the trail south of Allegheny National Forest here: http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=465097 The journalist, Lakeland Nidhatak, used the NCT as part of the route he was walking from NYC to the Pacific. (He wound up ending his hike in Beaver Creek SP). His journal will give you an idea of the NCT south of ANF.
    Handlebar
    GA-ME 06; PCT 08; CDT 10,11,12; ALT 11; MSPA 12; CT 13; Sheltowee 14; AZT 14, 15; LT 15;FT 16;NCT-NY&PA 16; GET 17-18

Thanks for the info folks. I'll give those sites a looking at when I get the chance. And as for the national trail day event I may try to cruise on over their. Thanks for the quick reply folks!

Oil Creek State Park has a great 36 mile trail with two sets of shelters. Very nice, Venango County near Titusville PA.

#3 i was just coming on whiteblaze to tell people about that day... the trail ends at my buddys property i cant wait to go... but back on topic... im planning to do the Allegheny National Forest section in a few weeks and beaver creek is always a nice place to hike in ohio

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    Oil Creek State Park has a great 36 mile trail with two sets of shelters. Very nice, Venango County near Titusville PA.
    Love Oil Creek!! I'm out there every week, training for OC100.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++