WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 138 139 140 141 142
Results 2,821 to 2,836 of 2836

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Thanks for sharing.
    This is a great video of Scott answering questions about his hike.
    You can't watch this and not come away being a Scott Jurek fan.
    And he said really great things about Jen.
    Great video

Quote Originally Posted by mgiven View Post
    Whoops hit reply too soon. I'm guessing most will say the celebration is an awesome ending to an amazing achievement. A few folk may demand citations for both the guy who was trapped in a canyon pinned by a rock for 127 hours and had to cut off his own arm, for bringing alcohol into the park, AND another violation for the guy who just broke the AT speed record, for drinking a sip of it
    So a guy that has a climbing accident and a guy that can go fast get a free pass just because of the climbing accident and fast trail run? Wrong - read the park rules and you'll not see special privileges called out for self-amputees and fast trail runners. Its just a couple of arrogant guys who, like many other summiters on K, feel that the rules don't apply to them. Besides, the trapped-in-a-canyon guy took his took his story on the road and got a book and movie deal out of it. No doubt the fast trail run guy is trying to do the same, so don't feel too bad for them in the unlikely event that they get a citation.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Guys, this thread is about Scott Jurek's attempt and now record of the for the FKT of the AT.

If you wish to start a thread about the intention of the BSP rules, there is a good forum for that debate:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...ter-State-Park

Thank you.

Just keep it civil.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I may be wrong on the subject and I'm sure if I am someone will point it out but as far as I know the ATC has no law enforcement authority over the AT. Isn't that the responsibility of each of the federal, state and private entities that own the land that the trail passes through? BSP needs to quit being a weenie about the rule violators and start enforcing their own rules within their park. If they would post a ranger on top of Katahdin during peak hiking times and start handing out $1000 citations to the violators it would put a stop to alcohol consumption quickly. I seriously doubt the park manager has the authority to remove the AT from the park.

From the BSP website rules and regulations page:

6.5. General laws of the State pertaining to alcohol and drugs apply within the Park. Maine law prohibits the drinking of alcoholic beverages in public places.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenRunning View Post
    I think Scott is about my height, which is 6'3". How tall is JPD? Isn't Matt Kirk pretty tall and slender as well? I've read where many think you need to have long legs and slender frame - there is probably a lot of truth in that. It terms of hiking vs. running, there is less impact and chance to wear and tear by hiking. But how fast can you hike? Something tells me JPD is an anomaly in her hiking speeds. I believe that the running vs hiking thing comes down to this: someone with years of experience running (Jurek) should do it with a running focused approach and someone with years of experience hiking (JPD) should do it with a hiking focused approach. The body gets programmed to movements, etc. so Jurek would have been at a disadvantage if he would have started out hiking only at the beginning (my opinion at least, maybe not). Likewise, I think JPD would have been at a great disadvantage if he ran more.

There is also a mental component to it as well - a runner hiking 16-18 hours a day might find it harder to be inspired to keep on. Imagine Horton hiking on his long record attempts - he'd probably go insane, just wouldn't work for him. Just an example. However, it would be easier for a "runner" to go in with a "only hiking" approach than it would be for a hiker to go into it with a "run" approach.

The long leg slender thing has to be relative to an extent too - 6'10" would be too tall, I am 6'3" and the green tunnel gets challenging in spots
    Quote Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
    That's why I set the number at 6'3" for me. I take your point on Scott being used to running, and it worked well for him through 12 states. The last two, not so much - he'd've been well served, starting at Glencliff, to hike rather than run, which he ended up doing starting, it would seem, somewhere about Franconia Ridge after pummeling his body a bit. Also, he admitted, after tweaking both his legs in the Smokies, that he started to proceed more gingerly on his descents rather than just running. He wouldn't've made that mistake in the first place had he logged a few hundred miles over the years hiking the A.T. and getting a feel for and an understanding of it.

In short, I believe that, had Scott descended more deliberately from the start, he'd've lost some time early, but likely not the day he lost, minimum, from the knee and quad problems. Further, had he not bashed his head against the wall from 25C to Galehead, stopping instead at Liberty Spring or Garfield, he'd've been in much better shape for the remainder of the trip. Map Man's and Odd Man Out's analyses from their data crunching suggest this would've been a wiser, healthier, even faster approach.

There's tons of variables, the weather not least of them, change any of them and it might throw everything off, so all we know is that he made it in one piece, three hours and 13 minutes ahead of Jen's pace. But I believe he likely would've been better off had he walked more, on the downs and in New Hampshire and Maine. I believe he could've shaved a good bit off his time, and I think future attempters, looking at his approach and Jen's, will see the wisdom in hers and the amazing, gutty performance in his.
    I'm more in line with what OwenRunning is saying, although I'm a little fuzzy/skeptical on the height issue, especially how it relates to hiking speed. The fastest marathon runners are short, but then again, supposedly the fastest sprinters are tall, in the 6ft-plus range....I'll have to read up more on that part of the equation before I say too much...

However, WRT running vs hiking, I think runners can do it much quicker; I believe the problem here is a matter of pacing for them, because this is such a new event, relatively speaking.

As people watch these things and providing it attracts more big names you will see these times fall and before long you will see (I believe) people talking about the 40-day barrier. A lot of it has to do with tactics and pacing. Just like pacing for a 100-mileish race, those guys have to slow themselves down quite a bit from a 50-mile race. And how they approach a 100-mile one day race is much different than how they approach a 100-mile per day (6-day race). However, what we have here is basically a 50-mileish race over 40+ days, not to mention tougher terrain, which is not something these ultrarunners are use to, but as more do it, the tactics will be analyzed and they will bring those times down.

If you just hike one more mile each day (instead of stopping at road crossings) it will bring your completion time down by about a full day (24 hours -- give or take).

I wonder if now they'll add a separate category for NOBO hikes. I do think Scott's record will be broken soon, but as a SOBO hike, since that is the quickest direction. However, I believe his should stand as a NOBO record and it'll probably be there a long time.

I think he made some big mistakes, but all in all, especially considering this was his first hike of the AT, it was a truly amazing hike. And the lack of sleep was truly amazing and unbelievable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Guys, this thread is about Scott Jurek's attempt and now record of the for the FKT of the AT.

If you wish to start a thread about the intention of the BSP rules, there is a good forum for that debate:
    http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/foru...ter-State-Park

Thank you.

Just keep it civil.
    At 2800+ posts and after the attempt itself is over, now its into post-game analysis. Besides, the tangent this thread took is not about the BSP rules themselves, but the blatant and very high profile flouting of the rules by Mr. Jurek and his entourage - and to me that seems very much related to this attempt at the record in that he ended it with an illegal act. (So technically, this entire thread should be removed...)

The very thread that you reference is exactly why some people think this is a big deal. Like it or not, high profile people like Jurek set examples just by their celebrity and influence their fan base - and he blew it.
    Last edited by Offshore; 07-13-2015 at 13:28.

Please see above. Other posts will be moved or possible deleted based on how lazy I feel.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Offshore View Post
    The very thread that you reference is exactly why some people think this is a big deal.
    Absolutely! Which is why I'd appreciate it you'd discuss it the appropriate forum. Pedaling Fool's post is more appropriate for a post-game analysis (if you will)

Thanks again!
    Last edited by Mags; 07-13-2015 at 13:27.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

I don't remember where I saw it, but someone was saying that it is difficult to run on a trail like the AT because you are constantly looking to place your feet on or around rocks and roots. As a runner, this really throws off your timing/technique/rythm etc. It is easy to understand that running on a trail is different than running on a flat track or even a road. To me, that would mean just running up and down steep hills. I've learned that it isn't just the hills. The flat parts can be just as challenging if you can't find your stride. This can even lead to injuries. I guess what I'm trying to say is, it isn't enough to just be a good distance runner. It will take a special person that can handle the micro-route-finding than can push the record under 40 days.

*I hate to run, so these are in no way expert thoughts. Just what I've gathered in the last few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Please see above. Other posts will be moved or possible deleted based on how lazy I feel.

Thanks!
    A kinder and gentler and ... lazier moderator. Love it.

If I feel the need to be redundant, I will take it to a more suitable thread.

Feel free to delete this gratuitous post. It and the distracting subject has little to do with Scott's incredible feat.

One last time. What a finish Scott! Congrats.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Journal Entries
    Images

Mags,

Pehaps you might allow a note -- or create you own -- for the benefit of those in the running community and others not familiar with the unique charter of Baxter State Park.

Something along the lines of:

Many well-informed people in the hiking community are concerned about the future of th AT in Baxter State Park. The concern stems from a strained relationship between the park and a small number of AT hikers who have not respected its rules and values-- and perhaps even more importantly the GREAT increase in our numbers.

While Baxter is not at the point where they are looking to literally kick the AT off Katahdin, they could-- really.

It is important to note that Baxter State Park is not really a "State" park at all, but was privately donated and operates with a unique mandate and with a different set of core values than one typically find at State or even National Parks. They call the shots and are NOT happy with today's thru hikers.

It is in this context, that some of those people are posting their concerns.
    Last edited by rickb; 07-13-2015 at 14:06.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Mags,

Pehaps you might allow a note -- or create you own -- for the benefit of those in the running community and others not familiar with the unique charter of Baxter State Park.

Something along the lines of:

Many well-informed people in the hiking community are concerned about the future of th AT in Baxter State Park. The concern stems from a strained relationship between the park and a small number of AT hikers who have not respected its rules and values-- and perhaps even more importantly the GREAT increase in our numbers.

While Baxter is not at the point where they are looking to literally kick the AT off their land, they could-- really.

It is important to note that Baxter State Park is not really a "State" park at all, but was privately donated and operates with a unique mandate and with a different set of core values than one typically find at State or even National Parks. They call the shots and are NOT happy with today's thru hikers.

It is in this context, that some of those people are posting their concerns.
    Understood..but much like the dog forums, these discussions tend to get off track as people have an axe to grind about something they do not like.

Now, please, with your note in mind, if everyone could post their thoughts in the appropriate thread concerning regulations as opposed to FKTs, that would be great.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-13-2015 at 14:28.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Last edited by Mags; 07-13-2015 at 14:20.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Mags, in all seriousness now that Jurek is the FKT holder, are there any plans to try and get an interview with him on The Trail Show?
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Mags, in all seriousness now that Jurek is the FKT holder, are there any plans to try and get an interview with him on The Trail Show?
    Probably not. Not really a good fit for our show.

And, this is just speaking for for me, while I can admire the athleticism of an FKT, I put it in the same bucket as Tour De France winners, the Superbowl, and even the Olympics:

I am not really interested in the outcome. It is basically a spectator spot. We did not watch sports growing up...for the most part I still don't watch sports (I did watch the 2004 World Series. The Red Sox winning the World Series was exciting and was very much part of the culture I grew up in. Now they are just another bunch of highly paid athletes...at least to me).

The records all blur together at this point. I touched upon this before...call it the Roger Banister effect. First man to break the four minute mile...how many people know of the current record holder?

Scott's achievement was remarkable. I suspect it really won't be remembered, in terms of the AT, after the initial media attention has faded in the next year or two however.

David Horton, who arguably started the modern FKT movement on the long trails, will be known for a long time among the general outdoor community I suspect in terms of the AT.

That's not to take away from the recent 14er record holder or Scott or similar record holders. The level of athleticism is indeed remarkable.

It's just a fleeting thing in the long "run" in terms of the record.

The pioneers will be known for a long time. Hence the Roger Bannister example...

Sorry for the long reply.
    Last edited by Mags; 07-13-2015 at 14:32.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

I can see this is working well....ahem.

Let's all wish Scott a great congratulations.

For those who wish to discuss the after action report, as it pertains to FKTs or trail running...please start a new thread on this forum.

Wish to discuss the impact of champagne toasts and discussing BSP's reaction? There are a couple of places more appropriate than this forum.

And on that note..142 pages of champagne, trails and some nonsense comes to a close.

Until next year...cause I am sure it will happen again!

Last edited by Mags; 07-13-2015 at 15:53.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Page 142 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42 92 132 138 139 140 141 142
++ New Posts ++