WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 128 of 142 FirstFirst ... 28 78 118 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 138 ... LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,560 of 2836
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    makes strange claims then retorts with insults...nice!
    Not an insult, just a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    So, you understand my point then?
    I understand that Jen knew there was a time to beat, just as Scott did, and the next guy will. However, it doesn't make it any easier to hike 50 miles per day, day after day.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    OK, so here is one last highly significant calculation for you all.

People have talked about the "pull" of Katahdin helping you along when you get to the end of a NOBO hike. Indeed, SJ posted his pic of his first view of Katahdin on his FB page. So how much is that pull really?

Well let's suppose Katahdin is a cylindrical cone that is 5 miles in diameter and 4000 ft tall made of granite with a density of 2.7 kg/L. Let's suppose SJ and all the gear/water he may be carrying weighs 140 lbs and he is standing on the shore of Pemadumcook Lake looking at Katahdin, 14 miles away (as the crow flies, not trail miles). Then we can calculate that the gravitational force of Katahdin pulling on SJ is 4.67x10-4 Newtons. To put that in perspective, that is the force that earth's gravity has on 4.76 micrograms. Of course that becomes much more substantial when you get to the base of the mountain (2.5 horizontal miles from the summit). Then it goes up the gravitational effect on a mass of 149 micrograms! However, once you start climbing, there is mass behind you as well as in front of you so the horizontal force diminishes to zero. But there is an additional downward force once you get above the center of mass of the mountain, making it harder, adding the effect of a few micrograms to your pack. No wonder it's such a bitch to climb. Below are the calculations from the spreadsheet. If you don't like my assumptions, feel free to download the spreadsheet and plug in your own numbers.
    Did you take into account the "Unified Hiker Therory" that says if he dosen't make it this thread could go on for years as to why. a horrible fate.

There are 1086 users on WB right now, less than I expected. The most ever was 3363 on 4/28/15. What happened on 4/28/15 ?

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Interesting that many of us (myself included) watch SJ's amazing feat with awe and fascination, all the while thinking "it's something I could never do. It's impossible". I've been reflecting on the fact that his efforts illustrate not the impossible, but the possible! He's not an alien or superman. He's a flesh-and-blood human like every one of us. How much more could humans accomplish in every field if we apply ourselves as he has done!
    Ahh, a fellow believer. Well said

finally got the tracker site to load:

12:02 PM is still more than 30 minutes behind. At that time just coming up on Hunts Peak.

Capture.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    12:22, top of Hunts Peak, elevation 3700?
    Nice, cruising right along

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    I understand that Jen knew there was a time to beat, just as Scott did, and the next guy will. However, it doesn't make it any easier to hike 50 miles per day, day after day.
    Very true, but I think the point was if Jen had some way of knowing that in 4 years SJ would finish 4 hours faster than 46 11 20 then she could have shaved another 4 or so hours of in the last week of her hike. a moot point, of course. that's the way the cookie crumbles. There will be a new record holder in town!!

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    There are 1086 users on WB right now, less than I expected. The most ever was 3363 on 4/28/15. What happened on 4/28/15 ?
    Most likely someone posted a gear list that included a gun, bear spray, a water filter, boots, and a bear bag, and asked for suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post
    Is that the day Scott started??

Journal Entries

Wish we could all celebrate when he reaches the cairn or sign or whatever. Reality is he'll be on his way home by the time DeLorme lets us in on it.

So funny that people on here thought it would be too crowded for him to get up the mountain.
    In your personal experience on the Hunt trail, how would you compare the crowding on a clear July Sunday to say a cloudy weekday in September?
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Most likely someone posted a gear list that included a gun, bear spray, a water filter, boots, and a bear bag, and asked for suggestions.
    Yup, LOL or sunflower seed dispersal

Images

Some of the hype is priceless. Bangor Daily News says he's going to "shatter" the record. I don't think he or his crew would agree. He's gonna beat it, by two or three hours. Out of 2231.33 hours, a factor of 1 in 1,000. A win, but not blowing it to smithereens.

Looking at that number of hours, a cool goal would be to hike the A.T., all stops included, in a mile an hour or better, whatever its length.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Quote Originally Posted by OwenRunning View Post
    Is that the day Scott started??
    nah he started May 27th.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Wish we could all celebrate when he reaches the cairn or sign or whatever. Reality is he'll be on his way home by the time DeLorme lets us in on it.
    I'm at 11:22 now...
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

I would rather be on the trail
    Journal Entries

"For me"--subjective. "For the CLOCK"--objective. For the win--Scott Jurek.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    12:22, not 11:22, right?
    that's where i am also.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    I meant 12:22...
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

He just finished AND ANNOUNCED a yo yo! Unbelievable!!!
    Visit Backpacking Adventures and enter your pictures into our monthly contest!

Check us out on YouTube or FaceBook

++ New Posts ++