WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 82 of 142 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 132 ... LastLast
Results 1,621 to 1,640 of 2836

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nctrails View Post
    Did anyone happen to notice the canoe brand when he crossed the Kennebec? If it wasn't Old Town then he's doomed to fail in his FKT attempt. Just having some fun to get the posts to 2189!
    If it wasnt the official one with the white blaze painted on the bottom, paddled by the official ferryman, then he varied from the official AT. Ill give it to him though.

Being a professional POHO I can tell you it takes a special breed to get this puppy to 2,189 by Sunday, I don't think the folks here have the juice (thread gift skillz) to get it there...I'd call in a couple of Pros from TOS, but...

Quote Originally Posted by Josh D View Post
    I've thought about his decision to do the AT over the PCT as well. Living out west for so many years, and having no ties to the east coast that I am aware of the PCT would seem like a natural choice. One thing that crossed my mind: I wonder if he thought Joe McConaughy's 53 day PCT record (average of 50 MPD) was pretty stiff and he had a better chance at the AT's 47 MPD, which was set by...a girl. not throwing out any accusations, as we all know by now that JPD's record is very solid, and Scott doesn't seem like the type to back down from a challenge anyway. In fact maybe it's just the opposite. maybe he was intrigued by the fact that Karl Meltzer has fallen short of the record twice and felt like it was more of a challenge than the PCT.
    There have been studies done that claim performance gap gets much smaller as the distance gets longer between men and women.

A couple articles on the topic of men vs women...

http://sportsscientists.com/?s=men+vs+women

Quote Originally Posted by nctrails View Post
    Did anyone happen to notice the canoe brand when he crossed the Kennebec? If it wasn't Old Town then he's doomed to fail in his FKT attempt. Just having some fun to get the posts to 2189!
    I don't know anything about canoes/canoe brands, but it appears in the FB picture that it ends in ah...... if that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Solent View Post
    There have been studies done that claim performance gap gets much smaller as the distance gets longer between men and women.

And I believe those studies. but I think there are still plenty of people out there that don't and will automatically think of a record as softer if it is set by a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Being a professional POHO I can tell you it takes a special breed to get this puppy to 2,189 by Sunday, I don't think the folks here have the juice (thread gift skillz) to get it there....
    Don't you have to be paid to be a pro? Where is my money? As far as 2189 goes, we are gaining on him.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by james ford View Post
    wouldn't she be "the professional"?
    You're confusing experienced with professional. Jurek's excursion is a financial endeavor.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    Don't you have to be paid to be a pro? Where is my money? As far as 2189 goes, we are gaining on him.
    I got my check two weeks ago, you didn't get one?

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    You're confusing experienced with professional. Jurek's excursion is a financial endeavor.

no more than hers.

without the FKT she is just another person that thru-hiked, but with it she garners notoriety/fame to reap financial gains. http://blueridgehikingco.com/about/ as well as multiple book deals.

Don't you have to be paid to be a pro?
    Someone listed her rain-year thru as evidence she's a professional....
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Well, shes a pro now.

8:55 PM...he is at Shirley Blanchard Rd. Almost to Monson!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    I got my check two weeks ago, you didn't get one?
    You are going to get a Boston Bruins style check soon if you are not careful.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sly View Post
    My prediction, if it's Monson today (44.9), it's Kokadjo-B Pond Road (51.6), Abol Bridge (47.8), Katahdin (15.1) on Fri, Sat, Sun.
    Yep, at 9:30pm he's almost in Monson. So the first part of your prediction looks good. 51.6 tomorrow eh? We'll see!

without the FKT she is just another person that thru-hiked,
    Welcome to WhiteBlaze!
    Where else do you troll?
    Teej

Journal Entries
    Images

no more than hers.

without the FKT she is just another person that thru-hiked, but with it she garners notoriety/fame to reap financial gains. http://blueridgehikingco.com/about/ as well as multiple book deals.
    if I am not mistaken Scott has paid sponsors including Brooks and CLiff Bars. Though he is not covered with logos, I don't think his choice of headband is a coincidence. His truck not only has logos promoting his book but his sponsors-- big difference. He may or may not have financial arrangement with Mountain Hardware, but the fact that it's president is in his support crew suggests he may travel in different business circles. Jut my 2 cents.

You are going to get a Boston Bruins style check soon if you are not careful.
    I'll show you what my uncle Sam taught me...thee ol' Glasgow shack.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Yep, at 9:30pm he's almost in Monson. So the first part of your prediction looks good. 51.6 tomorrow eh? We'll see!
    Besides KIW at 30 miles, it's the next road crossing.

Added: W Branch Ponds Rd would be 44.6 but leave nearly 55 miles to Abol bridge.

This makes for a midnight Rt 15. I was about 4 hrs wrong. This truly is a nail biter.

Quote Originally Posted by Solent View Post

The claim that the performance gap gets smaller as the distance gets longer has been pretty much refuted, at least with regard to comparing the best performers of each gender (which is what we're doing here). So the best man is going to be about the same amount better than the best woman regardless of the distance. That link you gave explains this pretty well, or else this paper does too:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945434/

That means that JPD's record is impressive precisely because it was set by a woman. She is at a physical disadvantage when compared to the best male hikers/runners.

Page 82 of 142 FirstFirst ... 32 72 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 92 132 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++