WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 98 of 142 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast
Results 1,941 to 1,960 of 2836
    Images

With Scott being a thru-hiker (technically speaking) and since the Hunt Trail will be open on this gorgeous day, there is nothing to stop HIM from going up the mountain if he gets to the base in the middle of the night, or early morning... He just simply has to keep following the trail. The ranger station at KSC doesn't open until 7am, but he technically doesn't have to stop and check-in - he can sign the clipboard at the base.

He would not need to deal with the park for that. His crew (and anyone going through the gates) would be another story - day use permits are hard to come by this time of year and the lots tend to fill fast.

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Is it possible that they let him start into BSP before the crowd of people start or maybe just ahead of them? Will he be there in time for that?
    My guess is that he'll get to Abol Bridge about midnight, and get some rest to cut his chances of injury on the peak.

Seems like I was wrong about him resting last night, though.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by godoit View Post
    Torqued? Really? I would be honored to let him pass me. What would torque me is all the cars in the lot looking for selfies.
    (I do share the concern that the AT does not become a race track.)
    My comment was not directed at SJ specifically. My comment has to do with entitlement issues. Yes, I would be torqued if the trail mentality (overall) changed to "you need to let me pass because I am going to go finish the trail now." I have no problem with letting faster people pass me. Absolutely no issue with that. My issue would be with the attitude that someone else's hike was more important than mine.

That is why I explained that I doubt his crew will do that.

It really looks as though that "rest" just before Little Boardman was only about 45 minutes.

Sent from...wait, where am I again?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    With Scott being a thru-hiker (technically speaking) and since the Hunt Trail will be open on this gorgeous day, there is nothing to stop HIM from going up the mountain if he gets to the base in the middle of the night, or early morning... He just simply has to keep following the trail. The ranger station at KSC doesn't open until 7am, but he technically doesn't have to stop and check-in - he can sign the clipboard at the base.

He would not need to deal with the park for that. His crew (and anyone going through the gates) would be another story - day use permits are hard to come by this time of year and the lots tend to fill fast.
    Thanks... Not having been to BSP I wasn't sure if he could start up the mountain before daylight. Of course he must get there first.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Come on now, does anyone seriously think that his crew hasn't thought about the Big K finish logistics? That is NOT going to be the deciding factor on whether he gets this record or not! No way.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Come on now, does anyone seriously think that his crew hasn't thought about the Big K finish logistics? That is NOT going to be the deciding factor on whether he gets this record or not! No way.
    I agree. I think they are making multiple plans for each and every scenario at this point.

My comment was not directed at SJ specifically. My comment has to do with entitlement issues. Yes, I would be torqued if the trail mentality (overall) changed to "you need to let me pass because I am going to go finish the trail now." I have no problem with letting faster people pass me. Absolutely no issue with that. My issue would be with the attitude that someone else's hike was more important than mine.

That is why I explained that I doubt his crew will do that.
    I generally agree. But this is a exception. And his hike is more important than mine. It's not as if they closed down the trail for him.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by moytoy View Post
    Thanks... Not having been to BSP I wasn't sure if he could start up the mountain before daylight. Of course he must get there first.
    If the weather had been crappy today and the trail was closed, then he would have to wait for the ranger's report tomorrow. However, the weather is cooperating and it is a gorgeous day to be on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrickjd9 View Post
    My guess is that he'll get to Abol Bridge about midnight, and get some rest to cut his chances of injury on the peak.

Seems like I was wrong about him resting last night, though.
    Please somebody correct me if I am wrong but from the tracker it looks to me like he has gone without real sleep since RT 15/6 at around 6 am yesterday, after getting maybe 5 -6 hours of sleep.

Images

I generally agree. But this is a exception. And his hike is more important than mine. It's not as if they closed down the trail for him.
    My comments are more directed at the changing of the attitude with the next wave of people, and the ones after, who want to run the trail.

I never EVER said they closed the trail for him. In fact, I even mentioned that I doubted his crew would do anything of the sort.

Images

Please somebody correct me if I am wrong but from the tracker it looks to me like he has gone without real sleep since RT 15/6 at around 6 am yesterday, after getting maybe 5 -6 hours of sleep.
    I think you've nailed it. I doubt we will see him stop for sleep until the end. Cat naps being the exception.

Journal Entries
    Images

i can't believe his feet have made it considering the rocks, moisture, and roots. I would have probably used miles of moleskin and my feet would be shredded. Finishing in Baxter will be epic, touching that most awesome sign! Congratulations.
    HighLiner
    2000 Miler

Brewmaster, Pizza Chef
    Images

I hope tdoczi is doing some research on the best way to prepare crow...
    Everything is easy until you do it.

My comments are more directed at the changing of the attitude with the next wave of people, and the ones after, who want to run the trail.

I never EVER said they closed the trail for him. In fact, I even mentioned that I doubted his crew would do anything of the sort.
    I apologize, I didn't mean to imply that or put words in your mouth.
    I agree that there is a danger of changing the trail ethic if runners and faster hikers get to feel entitled. All hikers are created equal.

Does anyone know of a FKT from the base to the summit?

Sent from...wait, where am I again?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Images

I apologize, I didn't mean to imply that or put words in your mouth.
    I agree that there is a danger of changing the trail ethic if runners and faster hikers get to feel entitled. All hikers are created equal.
    No worries on my part! I just wanted to make sure that my intent was made clear. It's all good!

Son Driven
    Journal Entries

Amazing! Took me 210 days.
    03/07/13 - 10/07/13 Flip flop AT thru hike "It is well with my soul"

Default Scott Jurek on Appalachian Trail

"I wonder what is the percentage of WB members who have contributed to this thread?"

I'm not sure but I've been avidly (rabidly?) following this thread since Matt Kirk first started it, and I haven't posted anything until now. So in addition to wondering how many members have "contributed" to the thread, I wonder how many members have been following it?
    Hard to add anything that the rest of you haven't already stated, but in an effort to hit our couch hiker's 2189 post goal it's time to say something. 😃
    Thank all of you for the entertaining and often insightful comments. (glad the bickering is behind us and we're all focused on the feat itself.) Go Scott, go! As much as I would have liked to see JPD's record stay, it would be equally painful to Scott fall short after giving so much of himself to the trail.

Looks like he pulled another all-nighter. With no obvious stopping place (GPS pings seem to be coming less often) I have him down as ending day (5:56 AM this morning) at about 1 mile NE of Mountain View Pond. I figure that to be 2124.3 miles from Springer. That gives him a 49.6 mile day - his biggest since day 35 in VT. At that time he had 64.9 miles to go with 35.33 hrs to go which is a continuous pace (without stops) of 1.8 mph.

As for the post count, at the end of yesterday, the linear projection of posts/day now has us down to just a 4 hr and 19 minute cushion. So like SJ, no sleep for you either. I expect all nighters from all of you.

Capture.JPG

Page 98 of 142 FirstFirst ... 48 88 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 108 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++