WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 125 of 142 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 135 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 2836
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monkeywrench View Post
    He just passed Katahdin Stream Falls. From here on up is where it starts to get more vertical, and you do all that boulder scrambling.
    Using my profile map, I measured a horizontal distance from KSF to Baxter of 2.625". The diagonal distance approximating the elevation gain of the actual trail was 4.125", longer by a factor of 1.57. That elevation profile looks mighty intimidating to a "mere section-hiker" like me. So exciting to watch him go.

There can only be one.
    http://youtu.be/sqcLjcSloXs

jurek's NOBO record will stand for a long time

Quote Originally Posted by Fredt4 View Post
    Precisely my point, there's no rule book, so it's impossible to truly compare two different hikes. As I said it's impressive either way.
    Sorry, guess I mis-interpreted your statements about hours and minutes not counting and unless someone gets under 40 days it really doesn't warrant a new FKT. Kinda sounded like list of criteria or maybe "rules".

He's cruising! He's halfway up the scramble between Katahdin Stream Falls and Hunts Peak.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

Tracker website must be getting hammered. Very slow to load.

I think his satellite thingy is broken. The last ping I see is 9:56am....?

Sent from...wait, where am I again?
    fortis fortuna adjuvat

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SRMartin View Post
    Sorry, guess I mis-interpreted your statements about hours and minutes not counting and unless someone gets under 40 days it really doesn't warrant a new FKT. Kinda sounded like list of criteria or maybe "rules".
    Never said it wouldn't be a faster FKT, I did say it wouldn't set a new standard. As for rule books, you show me yours, and I'll show you mine.

Badge? I ain't got no rules. I'll show you my rules you . . .

Tracker loaded fine for me & he's @.5 from Hunts. Guess he saved enough to be putting down a great pace at this stage in the game! Or did he just hit the NOS or Starbucks??

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Better, worse, ties?
    Not on paper. Jen is clearly the better hiker, Scott may secure the better time. But a clock is a clock, and the final tock is the final tock.
    That said- pick a sport and you will find an example of "bests" compared despite winners and losers.

Running vs walking?
    You ever see that "runner" who is just moving all their crap around real fast like but not doing nothing? Like as not that's what Scott looks like.
    You ever see a HIKER walk and appear as if nothing is happening at all really... until you try to keep up with them? That's what Jen likely looked like.
    In the long haul- the smooth "walker" beats the "runner" flailing away and wasting energy.

Ha! As a runner, I take exception!

An record-seeking athlete picks an approach that best suits his or her abilities, and prays for favorable weather, great support, and other circumstances to come into alignment during the attempt. The tough thing is...the record setters weren't competing on the same days, under the same circumstances, the same distances, or even the same trail.

Scott picked his way to approach the trail, which complements his abilities as an ultra runner, and is on target for a blistering finish regardless of whether he sets a new record.

There are things that made other record setting thru-hikes harder than the current attempt. There are things that make the current attempt harder than previous attempts. I kind of take exception to "record setter", given that there are so many variables at play that it makes it difficult to really compare circumstances that any two hikers experience during these multi-week attempts.
    Planning for a North-South thru-hike to begin...one of these days...

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    It isn't that straightforward. As I said before, the A.T. isn't a racetrack, it changes year to year, often in ways that could easily add or remove a few hours worth of walking time to say "if he sets the record he has the record. Period." is a stretch when the course in question is demonstrably different than it was when the previous record was set. Also Scott went in the opposite direction, which as others have already said is arguably more difficult.
    A FKT is straight forward. It is what it is, for the existing trail. Its cut and dry.

However, trying to make comparisons that infer other things is where you run into problems, and so you shouldnt. Its pointless.

Its easier to hit a target, when you know what it is.

Its also easier when you build on knowledge and experience of those before you.

This is why records evolve over time and get continually broken. Also why the "firsts" are more impressive than the followers that improve on them.

Direct comparisons really cant be made due to innumerable factors. Nor is there any reason to do so, except arguements sake.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 07-12-2015 at 11:47.

Wow, didn't think the last miles of cyber hiking would end with discussions of ties, worthiness, and out right delusions. It's Scotts day, Jen had hers. It's Scotts time, Jen had hers...Deal with it. We still call the ex presidents MR. President, We still call Champion Boxers "Champ" it doesn't take away only reinforces her greatness. If he bests her time by 10 min, he holds the FKT...Period. But you call it what ya like, in my mind it is pretty clear. I'll even go as far to say...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEntZUx24s8

Images

Yeah, he's really moving up Katahdin at a pretty fast clip. Gotta figure the adrenaline is pushing him to the top.

I would rather be on the trail
    Journal Entries

Hopscotch MPH (often at night).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imagine your on top of K, Scoot just touched the sign and drops to his knees after 45 back to back marathons, go look him in the eye and tell..."Nice Tie" I don't think So.

Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    Yeah, he's really moving up Katahdin at a pretty fast clip. Gotta figure the adrenaline is pushing him to the top.
    Amazing finish!

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Wow, didn't think the last miles of cyber hiking would end with discussions of ties, worthiness, and out right delusions. It's Scotts day, Jen had hers. It's Scotts time, Jen had hers...Deal with it. We still call the ex presidents MR. President, We still call Champion Boxers "Champ" it doesn't take away only reinforces her greatness. If he bests her time by 10 min, he holds the FKT...Period. But you call it what ya like, in my mind it is pretty clear. I'll even go as far to say...

RS
    Why you have to go and do that? Glad that I wasn't eating lunch...
    Anyway, great point about letting it be his day!!

Scots moving faster that that server for sure. Somebody go push the TURBO button on that DeLorme server.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries

But doesn't she have to be onsite for it to count? How's she gonna get up there? If we have to wait for her to get there for it to be over, SJ might just set a record for the SKT!

You were doing great.... until the link!

++ New Posts ++