WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Red face NJ from top to bottom

Well I just got back from Hiking NJ. Since there doesn't seem to be alot of "how things are" for NJ, here we go.

Trail conditions are great. Trail very well marked except for one spot where the Iris or Ibis trail branches off. I'm not sure who thought using a white blaze with a red reflector over it was a good idea when the two trails are going to over lap. If I didn't second guess and check just in case I surely would have walked really far to who knows where. I did notice hiking south there are far fewer blazers than north bound.
    Trail itself pounded dirt in a few spots, but since its almost all rock just keep hopin.

So from Waywayanda to Mochian. Every Shelter was clean and well maintained nothing in disrepair.
    All the Privies were stocked with saw dust and clean. Not to much trail garbage to speak of.

Weather was anywhere from 83 and 100% humidity with lighting and rain to 38 degrees and crystal clear.

Sounds like you had a nice hike! Last time I was hiking the AT near the Iris trail there were a bunch of people on the AT wondering how they lost the Iris trail. Since the Iris trail is flat and easy in comparison they were slightly miffed. : ) The Iris trail criss-crosses the AT a few times in that section if I recall correctly.

Images

I did a round trip from Catfish to the Monument and back. When I got to the Monument it started to pour. I had grabbed a State Park trail map and read that the Iris trail ran along old carriage rods and ski trails..............."hummmmmm, no rocks, no climbs, it's pouring, it runs along the AT SOBO.....hummmmmmmm..............IRIS BLAZE!!!! and it was a nice walk.

Images

Hiking the NJ section, I can't believe I'm in NJ.
    Simple is good.

Just finished NJ in sections from Dunnfield Creek north. It was great, iris was alittle strange. It was my first completed state on the AT. Now on to NY!

I agree about the secret "NJ"!

This will be my "knock-off state" for this year. If you have any other helpful hints, please provide them!

Thanks!!!!!

Journal Entries

Plan to hike nj soon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plan to hike nj this June 2016 ... Maybe a 3 day 2 night.... Any pointers

This was a very EASY state with frequent resupplies (never carried more than 3 days of food). Great water sources...

Have fun!

How many days did it take you ?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dachef07712 View Post
    Plan to hike nj this June 2016 ... Maybe a 3 day 2 night.... Any pointers
    As far as getting to the trail if you don't have a ride, I rented a car with enterprise since I knew there was one in Stroudsburg, PA the town @ 8-9 miles from DWG & dropped it off there & they drove me to the trail. You can stay at Church of the Mountain hostel to set up your start it's nearly right on the trail. The sycamore grill a good restaurant & bar is right down the street + a bakery & diner & small outfitters isn't too far away either.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries

That intersection of Iris Trail & AT is indeed pretty confusing. One time I was hiking Iris Trail with my son at the height of blueberry season and we ran into 3 bears just north of Rutherford Shelter (on Iris Trail, not AT.) I try not to forget my bear bell ever since, even though I'm not sure if it makes any difference...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by iAmKrzys View Post
    That intersection of Iris Trail & AT is indeed pretty confusing. One time I was hiking Iris Trail with my son at the height of blueberry season and we ran into 3 bears just north of Rutherford Shelter (on Iris Trail, not AT.) I try not to forget my bear bell ever since, even though I'm not sure if it makes any difference...
    Bear bells are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because they are marketed as a safety device, yet those who make and sell them don't seem to have produced a shred of evidence that they do anything. The small amount of anecdotal evidence i've seen suggests that bears don't pay attention to the sound, possibly because the faint high pitched jingle doesn't sound like anything they would need to be concerned with. The sound of human voices or clapping hands would likely be much more effective at alerting a bear to your presence.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dachef07712 View Post
    How many days did it take you ?
    I did NJ in under 48 hours, it was pretty straight-forward. As for tips, I would do it earlier if possible, I did it in July and actually changed my shelter out after that trip. the combination of rain, heat and bugs were to much for my tarp and bivy. Had to chose between being eaten or frying. Long night. I hiked NY in the spring. That would be my choice for NJ, or the fall.

Images

One more thing. I believe Joe to go (at US 206) only takes cash. I seem to remember that being a problem because I forgot to take cash. No morning mocha.

joe to go aint no mo!

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by snorz View Post
    joe to go aint no mo!
    Yup, I believe it's now the Sunrise Appalachian Trail Deli. I haven't been there but have heard that it is very hiker friendly.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Bear bells are a bit of a pet peeve of mine, because they are marketed as a safety device, yet those who make and sell them don't seem to have produced a shred of evidence that they do anything. The small amount of anecdotal evidence i've seen suggests that bears don't pay attention to the sound, possibly because the faint high pitched jingle doesn't sound like anything they would need to be concerned with. The sound of human voices or clapping hands would likely be much more effective at alerting a bear to your presence.
    I guess the future equivalent of a bear bell should be a solar-powered speaker that will read the story of Winnie the Pooh using a realistic but scary-sounding voice of Darth Vader!

Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    Never mind the annoyance to anyone within earshot that could become the problem as opposed to any bears.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++