WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default SoBo'er needs ride from midcoast Maine to Baxter.

Hey all. I'm looking to start a SoBo thru on the weekend of June 6th/7th, and I need a ride to Baxter.

Currently, I'm located in Pemaquid, Maine, apprenticing as a wooden boat builder. My program ends the 5th, and I want to start my SoBo immediately after. Pemaquid is about an hour downeast of Portland, or an hour down the coast from Camden. It is 4 hours north to Baxter.

I would gladly pitch in for gas for the trip. I can also drive if you happen to be needing a break.

Thanks for taking the time to look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Matt

Images

You prob already know this, but Greyhound runs Portland to Bangor, Cyr bus runs Bangor to Medway, AT Lodge in Millinocket will shuttle from Medway to Baxter (or from Bangor to Baxter).
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by chiefduffy View Post
    You prob already know this, but Greyhound runs Portland to Bangor, Cyr bus runs Bangor to Medway, AT Lodge in Millinocket will shuttle from Medway to Baxter (or from Bangor to Baxter).
    I didn't know that. I appreciate the info.

Ultimately, I'm looking for something cheaper/more direct. If it comes down to it, I'll probably just try to hitchhike up there. The problem is reserving a campsite for two days while not knowing if I'll actually be there!

Images

You should be good on the camp sites, most will be vacant. There are very few people in Baxter right now, it is so early in the season.
    Forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair. -Kahlil Gibran

Images

BTW, if you have trouble hitching north of Bangor, the Cyr bus is only $12 to Medway.

3/4 of the campsites at KSC are booked for that weekend, already.

When I was there last weekend, it appeared that most every campsite has somebody in it, too.

Images

Not trying to be a kill-joy, but you're doing a 2000+ mile thru-hike and you're worried about spending<$40 on bus fare(s) from Portland to Medway? Seems like you're cutting things a bit tight.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Not trying to be a kill-joy, but you're doing a 2000+ mile thru-hike and you're worried about spending<$40 on bus fare(s) from Portland to Medway? Seems like you're cutting things a bit tight.
    You're not being a killjoy- you have certain economic practices, and I have others. If I can save money, I'll try to. Yes, it's a long hike, so I'd like to save money when I can.

Also, I'm an hour from Portland, so it isn't exactly convenient to just hop on the bus.

I'm in Bangor and can give you a lift if you can get here, haven't any plans to go down to Portland any time soon.

Images

I completely understand the inclination to save money where you can... With that, this time of year, you have a pretty good shot at being able to stay at The Birches the night after completing Katahdin. It is across the road from Katahdin Stream Campground and is more than half the cost of getting a campsite at Katahdin Stream. Definitely with a call to the park to see what they have to say on the topic, but most headed south will be doing so later, and there are not a ton of people finishing yet. Kind of off-topic for your ride, but something to consider toward saving money.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    I completely understand the inclination to save money where you can... With that, this time of year, you have a pretty good shot at being able to stay at The Birches the night after completing Katahdin. It is across the road from Katahdin Stream Campground and is more than half the cost of getting a campsite at Katahdin Stream. Definitely with a call to the park to see what they have to say on the topic, but most headed south will be doing so later, and there are not a ton of people finishing yet. Kind of off-topic for your ride, but something to consider toward saving money.
    Thanks, I'll give that a shot as well.

Can't you talk someone you work with into giving you a ride? Offer to fill up their tank and buy them lunch.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++